Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Lowering Revs at motorway speed

Well doing allot of motorway driving right now and was wondering what I can do to drop the high revs when I'm on the Autobahn's.

Right now when I'm at 80mph it's cruising at 3000 rpm.... it then raises about 500rpm per 10mph from this.

Usual cruising on the Autobahn is about 100mph however.

So I've had a look about the forum and seen what options there are. But what I wanted to know is this. If I fit a VR6 1st, 2nd and 5th into my box (probably with a lightened flywheel) what sort of rpm will I be getting at the same speeds ?

Also, is it worth me looking at a 6spd box, and what sort of prices did this cost the people who've done this :?:

For the records it's 1990 G60 with a few tweeks running on 15" steelies right now (17x7 alloys in summer).

Will dropping the revs not put more strain on the engine?? especially at those high speeds.

Why do you want to lower the revs?? fuel comsumption or just for wear and tear?

T.

Well 3 reasons...

* Fuel comsumption

* Wear on the engine

* The rather loud noise from the eninge ;)

It puts more strain on the engine :?: I'd have thought less as the newer cars mostly come with a 6th gear for this sort of speeds on the motorway...

You want the 5th gear cog and ancils from a Golf Tdi gear box, ASD type if I remember rightly.

This wil be a straight fit into your box and should lower your revs at speed quite a bit from standard.

I am in the middle of this but have managed to shear the head from the bolt holding the 5th cog onto the end of the main shaft. :roll:

I find myself wanting a 6th gear at high speeds, that 5th cog in my g60 box is that a big job?? what would you expect to pay at a garage if I dont want to brave it myself??

You want the 5th gear cog and ancils from a Golf Tdi gear box, ASD type if I remember rightly.

This wil be a straight fit into your box and should lower your revs at speed quite a bit from standard.

I am in the middle of this but have managed to shear the head from the bolt holding the 5th cog onto the end of the main shaft. :roll:

Hmm, ok then. Looks like I'll be looking for a VR 1st, 2nd and a Golf TDI 5th.

Will this effect things with normal driving in 5th. Like having to rev it further in 4th to keep the torque into 5th :?: or is it not noticable.

Silly question probably, but any benefit in getting these cogs made up specifically if I can get the exact data for them. Maybe lighweight like the flywheel change people tend to go for :?:

Catch_twotwo I have a golf vr6 which (I think) has even longer gearing than a Corrado VR6, if not the same and when I cruise at 3000rpm my car is doing just over 70. Your gearing sounds pretty good to be cruising at 80mph at 3000 revs. My car also revs quite high after 80mph. 1st and 2nd gearing is good in the vr6 as I can reach 65 in second. Acceleration is awesome without the need to change to third.

Not sure what a tdi 5th gear is like (I would assume it is longer than a vr6). However the ultimate upgrade to reduce your revs would be a 6th gear conversion.

matth76, Only thing is must 6 speed convertions use old 5th as finial drive.. Would need to find another

6th gear in my GT TDI is great on the motorway.. 70MPH is about 1900RPM.. 80MPH is about 2,200RPM I think?

My g60 sits at 2500 revs when doing 80mph, can anyone suggest why that is?

As far as I know the gearbox is standard

Catch_twotwo I have a golf vr6 which (I think) has even longer gearing than a Corrado VR6,

Golf and Corrado VR6 have the same gearing.

It's worth noting that 5th can be changed without dropping the box, so you can experiment with different 5ths relatively easily and cheaply.

My g60 sits at 2500 revs when doing 80mph, can anyone suggest why that is?

As far as I know the gearbox is standard

Anyone? :(

Wales, is your G standard or chipped 'n' pullied?

Would a smaller pulley make it rev higher than a std pulley?

Min is c'n'p'd and 80mph = 3k on the revs

That's the difficulty, I've just bought the car so don't know the exact history of what's been done, i'm asking what possibly could have been done to the car to make it rev lower :confused:

It has a ported head and chip to suit from jabba :roll: ..but i think the charger is standard

My last g60's sat at around 3k-3.5k at 80mph.

Looks like your 5th has been swapped for something different

That's what i'm thinking, 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th all feel normal, but 5th is deffinately different .

Strange... If I had the gearbox apart then I'd have changed 1st and 2nd for VR parts.

Although somebody once told me that you can change 5th without dropping the box so it might be an easy job. Can anybody confirm this ?

I'd really like to find out exactly what's been done because in fairness...it's f'kin great! lol ..cruising at 2.5k at 80mph is surly better for the engine.