Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

how low can i go? (before i scrape my front spoiler off!)

my valver is currently only-35mm, on 15" rims, but i've got a set of -60mm springs ready to go on any day now. The question i have is, will i be able to fit a front spoiler at this height?

i don't have a front spoiler on at the moment, but was looking to fit another one soon, and was actually considering a mk2 golf big-bumper spoiler after seeing a couple of c's with them and thinking they actually really suit the car.

either that or the late Corrado smaller one

i don't think i'll have a chance of fitting a big corrado one, but will i even get away with a smaller one?

bear in mind there are alot of speedhumps where i live!

scarlett runs a 90mm chin splitter with a 60mm drop and it catches on a lot of stuff but hasn't broken off yet! The mk2 Golf big bumper ones are 70mm iirc, and are a good compromise if you don't want to run the 50mm... :)

guys who run 15's ten to run the 50mm spoiler if its slammed... from my experience of over 100mm drop on 16's the spoiler will never break,,, unless when yo jack up the rear it will split on the corner(s)

wcrado, I reckon you'll get away with the 90mm at that height. Mine has a 90mm and i'm lowered 35mm and I never have trouble with it & I go over speed bumps regularly. Another 25mm lower wont make too much difference I don't think.

I had a 60mm drop on 17's with the 90mm spoiler, it caught on a daily basis! multi-stories were pretty much a no-go and speedbumps had to be negotiated carefully. I guess it depends on what the roads are like where you live.

I wouldnt worry too much about it catching, they're fairly robust and 'if' they split at least you know they'll bend and not break further! I had a split at each end of mine and if I pulled it stright you couldnt tell.

BTW - is there actually a ride height difference when running 15's and 17's considering the rolling radius of the wheel should be identical?

mine is on 15' ronal turbos and coilovers the tops of the tyres are just in the arch (90-100mm??) i have a 90mm splitter it catches every where but it has never damaged. but for ease i use the 50mm which i have no trouble with.

I'm down 60 on 17's and although most inclines are scrape inducing I still have whats left of my 90mm splitter at the front :lol:

Tip: NEVER colour code them - they crack and look pants :lol:

hi phil did you ever use the rs front bumper you got off me?? that used to catch a bit.

is there actually a ride height difference when running 15's and 17's considering the rolling radius of the wheel should be identical?

I think so.... 15"rims on 195/50's against 17's on 205/40's/....

i guess the wheel would be one inch smaller from the centre to the ground, and the tyre would be 10mm bigger, so i guess not alot of difference! maybe 10mm or so?

cheers for the advice.... was a bit put-off by the 50mm spoiler to begin with, seeing as they're hard to get hold of second-hand and brand new they're a bit costly

But i saw Renshaw's 'rado in the history of his car section and thought it looked sweet with the mk2 spoiler on it's chin! plus its a bit smaller so was gonna experiment with that

If not i reckon i mite get a 90mm spoiler from the breakers and whip the jigsaw out and trim it down a few mil!

unless someone on here's got a 50mm available??

don't worry i won't colour code it, wanted to keep a fairly original look for the car, and i only think the colour coded spoilers suit when the whole front of the car has been smoothed and colour coded as well

I have had all of them 90mm, 50mm and MK2 GTI chin.

The nicest one to drive with daily was the 50mm, it never touched anywhere, the worst is the 90mm I have on now, I split it at the weekend only a tiny bit but its split. The MK2 chin is deeper than both, but the profile of it means it slopes back rather than sticking out forward and its clears a lot more than the 90mm.. If you can be bothered to spend ages shaping, heating, cutting and screwing the MK2 one do it, but its a bu99er to get it to fit right.

I am going to go to a 50mm chin purely as I can't live with the 90mm day in day out any more and I actually think the 50mm one looks more understated than the 90mm on a low car.

Jay

90mm spolier with 40mm drop. I dont have any probelms with it, as my spoiler tore on both sides so whenever i go over a speed bump and the spoiler makes contact, it just neatly folds back until im over it.

It's more dead badgers in the middle of the road and car park kerbs that bother me most..... both can take the spoiler clean off if you're not careful!

And then of course there are practicalities such as getting onto ferries, MOT ramps, Stealth's rollers, getting trolley jacks under neath etc etc.... so I've jacked mine up 15mm back to -45 and not only does it now actually have some suspension travel to speak of, it looks better aswell.

Bally, = nutter!!! :lol:

love that bottom pic, bet you cant even go up hills without scraping :lol: 8) M8

If you can be bothered to spend ages shaping, heating, cutting and screwing the MK2 one do it, but its a bu99er to get it to fit right.

Doesn't sound all that appealing now! :(

it was seeing your car on the mk2 spoiler that made me think about it, i thought it looked pretty good on there! wasn't gonna steal your idea, but i noticed you removed it again fairly quickly so i thought why not? :)

they're well cheap too. Think i will go for the 50mm for practicality, even if i can get away with a 90mm, i think i'll just get p*ssed off with it scraping! but i think i'll measure out 50mm on a 90mm from a breakers and chop it down with the jigsaw!

my spoiler tore on both sides so whenever i go over a speed bump and the spoiler makes contact, it just neatly folds back until im over it.
dude that made me laugh! :D a james bond-style retractable front spoiler for high bumps/inconvenient roadkill!

mine is on 15's with the 90mm spoiler (60mm drop), and I've kinda... broken it. Now, I like to go 50 km/h over speedbumps (I think I actually had some airtime once), and I'm not as careful as I should, so it could work. I don't remember how it was on my summer wheels (17s), but I think the snow and ice tears it up a bit now. It's possible to drive around town, and as long as you go as slow as 2nd gear will let you over speed bumps, you'll be alright. What I noticed is that while you can get the car up on ramps and flat beds without scraping, it doesn't stand a chance coming down. Mine folded nicely down, but that's because it's cracked. I'll fit a 50mm whenever I get up on a ramp again, and try to repair the old 90mm so I could use it for the show season.

With the 90mm i have to traverse the large speed bumps, and the other day, i didint notice a very small speed bump, and did some airtime myself. It was f ing hilarious.