Sign in to follow this  
MARLBORO_LITE

Bought a basket case....with dodgy electrics?

I recently bought myself a rather sad looking (but with good potential) Pearl Green K plate 16v. Completely original save for a Scorpion exhaust and Stealth 15' alloys (latter will go at first opportunity!). The interior is immaculate, no wear anywhere.

She'll soon be resprayed down both flanks plus bonnet and front bumper and will then be as immaculate on the outside as the inside. I do have a few issues to sort though on which the community's help would be appreciated:

Central Locking - I am hoping that by changing a dodgy passenger door handle this will begin to work (maybe this weekend)! Have blown down the vacuum pipe and everything opens so no leaks at all. Locking the drivers door only results in that door locking and the bootlid, not passenger door nor fuel flap. If, after changing the passenger handle, it still doesn't work any suggestions please on where I should look next?

Sunroof - Won't tilt nor slide. Haven't got at the motor yet but wondered whether the interior lights (cabin and boot) and cigarette lighter not working could be connected? Are they on the same relay? If the problems are unconnected, any suggestions please on how a fix should be attempted?

Heater - I can't get the air to blow on the windscreen, sods law, I am sure this isn't difficult to sort. Seems to work fine directed everywhere else but not the screen! If the component is duff, is it cheap to replace?

Appreciate any suggestions. Got other problems but will start with these!!

I previously ran a silver 91 model 16v for 3 years (from 97 to 00) and loved her to bits (H711 YYU...anyone know of her?) but had to sell up when my daughter arrived and her pram wouldn't fit in the boot... :cry:....then my wife bought a smaller pram which would have..... :x .....She was immaculate with G60 alloys which I bought off a chap in Welwyn Gardens for £100 (with excellent tyres) 3 years previously which I fitted to a MkII Golf GTi. Ain't so cheap now, set on Ebay hitting £250!

All three of the problems are quite common on the rado if you do a search you will find loads of threads regarding your problem... hope that helps!

welcome to the forum, MARLBORO_LITE! If you use the search, you'll find a lot of info there. most stuff have already been covered trice. Don't feel bad though, I ask for stuff like this all the time ;)

LOL

Knew id seen the plate somewhere, although it ain't a 16v any more!

Henny's been really busy with work and personal commitments recently but will hopefully be about a bit more as of April :thumb right: .

As regards your no air blowing on the screen problem...I have just done this job. You will prob need a new heater box. Its a byatch to do.. Well not really it just means gutting the dash to get it all out. You don't need to remove the dash just losen it off.

Remove the console kick panels and remove the centre console ie stereo and heater controls ect.

Just behind the console cubbyhole is a bolt. Remove that and you can ease back the dash.

You will also need to remove the heater matrix pipes that go through the bulkhead. Plus the actual heater box is also bolted through the bulkhead. Before doing this also disconect the control cables there are three at the box end The matrix and heater box come out as one. Slide out the whole unit and then slip out the matrix. Go down a breakers find a half eaten mk2 golf as I did with the dash out very nice of then the heater box was just sitting there on its own...Fit new heater box and reassemble !! dash.

I found that the actual cogs were broke on the flap controls underneath the heaterbox. Maybe if yours is the same you could just try and refit new cogs whilst it was all in situ ?

Link for more shots

bustcog1.jpg

There are some great shots of owners with there interiors out doing this very job around the site !!

As regards the central locking...VW querks with vac pumps n stuff. My pass door does not seem to open with a key almost like there is no barrel in it or the lock is disconected.. Still at least the C locking works from the drivers door. As for the sunroof...yep mine tilts up then sinks like the titanic on 1 side. It does not go back. I guess its just these cars and the mechanisams..

Hope it helps

Henny's is a grey G60, thats just a similar number plate...

Welcome to the Forum Mr Lite, I don't smoke but if I did....

A quick thank you for your advice and suggestions. I'll get stuck into the search facility for central locking and sunroof possible fixes. I have some strong leads for sorting the heater out, special thanks to those concerned.

I am likely to re-appear in other sections of the Forum as I attempt to tackle other issues......this car will be a money pit I know...but I saw her and thought she deserved some special treatment. I got 6 months to get her finished before another addition to the family arrives. I ain't selling this one though, made that mistake once before! She's for weekends, on my own with no kids or wife!

I guess I am spilling over to another forum area, but views on AZEV As or BORBET Cs?

All the best

No worries mate - welcome aboard. It kind of goes with the territory of Corrado ownership that you'll be asking lots of questions cos things break :lol: They do seem to be rather addictive though... ;)

Off the top of my head - iow_corrado_g60 and M15_VW both have Azev As (iow_corrado_g60's C is up for the Feb calendar page - his C is on the portal).

Henny and DEL_VR6 have Borbet Cs on their rados, so worth having a search through the Member's Gallery for pics of their cars.

You'll probably get more answers if you post that up as a new thread in Exterior because then people can see you're asking about wheels from the title.

I am likely to re-appear in other sections of the Forum as I attempt to tackle other issues......this car will be a money pit I know...but I saw her and thought she deserved some special treatment. I got 6 months to get her finished before another addition to the family arrives. I ain't selling this one though, made that mistake once before! She's for weekends, on my own with no kids or wife!

All the best

your on your way mate..hehe. Yep a money pit it will be :shock: I know and mines not even on the Rd yet!!! Much to sought out. Good luck with the new family addition..Not the Corrado :wink: I bought my C 6 months back my kids are now 7 n 4 so I thought time for some 2 door fun... :D

Off the top of my head - iow_corrado_g60 and M15_VW both have Azev As (iow_corrado_g60's C is up for the Feb calendar page - his C is on the portal).

That's Borbet A's not Azev's Pinkus

Welcome to la forum Monsoir MARLBORO_LITE , hope you enjoy your stay and nice one for saving a rado!

Thanks for the warm welcome Walesy. I can see 2_Door_Fun and I have much in common! Following Dinkus' suggestion I'll post to 'exterior' on the subject of the Borbet V Azev debate. Thanks to other contributors on the wheel discussion......

In terms of a quick update, I have fixed the central locking by changing both door handles for virtually new ones. I managed to amaze myself by successfully swapping the lock barrels over. Wife got a bit worried though cos the kitchen table was covered with greasy components from 4 stripped down handles, think she began to doubt my abilities after an hour of cussing whilst I attempted to reassemble:P! Only the passenger handle was dodgy, I'll offer the drivers handle on the 'For Sale' board at some point (ex lock barrel but micro switches fully ok).

Got the sunroof to tilt by replacing the 15 amp fuse at port 19 (second from right) Thought changing that fuse would fix the interior light and cigarette lighter problem, but I ain't complaining about a sunroof that now partially works! I think what I'll do next there is to manually crank it open and apply liberal doses of grease to exposed components. May get a result, worth a try maybe?!

'snot me... mine's H719YYU...

Welcome to the forum though MARLBORO_LITE

Thanks Henny, 91 a good year for the Corrado!! Wish I never sold mine.......my wife spotted her a couple of weeks ago in Cardiff. Doesn't look all that good apparently.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure H711 YYU is on this forum. If it's the car I'm thinking of it's in the guy's signature pic. I believe he recently replaced the engine for another KR 16v. I can't remember it being silver though so it may be a different car.

* EDIT *

The memory's not what it used to be. The car I'm thinking of is H511 YUU.

old thread, but I found it by mistake. H711 YYU is currently my daily driver. Spent a lot of time & money on her over the past year, & she's pretty much all good now :D

That's excellent news Benjo. Thanks for getting in touch. I spent a small fortune on her just before selling her on back in 2000. She was a cracking car, looks like she still is. Have you had her long? No worries if you can't. I was the second owner, how many did she have before she reached your hands?

I know it's a bit sad, but you couldn't email me a picture of her? :salute:

I bought the car from a dope-smoking chav who had basically ruined it through neglect/bodging. Apparently it was standing for somewhere between 6-18months before I bought (can't remember now!). That was in Dec '08, & mileage was around 145k. Work done since:

Sourced & fitted missing rear view mirror & vag gearknob/gaitor

replaced venom eyebrow grille with oem item

Replaced rusty passenger door

rebuilt both front wings

patched up sills (butt-welded & dressed back, not patched over!)

rolled rear arches

replaced rusty battery tray

had both sides repainted (will prob get sills re-done as the paint reacted with the stone-chip)

built & fitted uprated 4-relay headlamp wiring loom

vr6 clutch

fitted mk4 rear calipers + goodridge hoses + new rear hardlines + new discs/bearings

fitted new suspension - everything polybushed (still gotta do rear beam), new top mounts, bump stops, arb bushes, ball joints/tie rods etc)

refurbed wishbones

bought vag floor mats

changed cambelt, idler, clutch, & every single engine oil seal/gasket (doesn't leak!)

2 x oil changes

new radiator

new engine/gearbox mounts

There's probably more, but you know how it is with these things - time is a great healer! Current mileage is somewhere around 153k, & although it still goes very well it's smoking quite a bit now. One of the gearbox output flange support bearings or something has failed/come loose so the flange wobbles about too. I was looking at a 69k 9a in a scrappy yesterday as a replacement in case she fails her MOT this week on emissions. Once I've sorted the smoky engine & annoying gearbox thing she'll be pretty much ready for the next 150k!

Corradoafterpaint.jpg

I'll take some more pics next time the weather's nice & post 'em up.

Just out of interest, what sort of mileage was on the clocks when you sold her, & did you perform any mods? Were the RXs your doing?

Looking good Benjo. It's such a shame when cars like these end up in the wrong hands. A small fortune you've spent I can see. Ripe for an engine conversion now...nice 1.8T maybe!!!!????

She was pretty much original when I bought her, and pretty much the same when I traded her in after a few years, save for a lowered suspension kit (Boge I think!). All the paint was original, the interior was like new and, after a thorough mechanical overhaul not long before she was sold on, she ran like a dream. When I bought her I traded in an immaculate 'D' plate Mk2 Golf GTi 8v, again finished in diamond silver. On that car I had fitted a lowered suspension kit, jetex exhaust and, following a trip to Welwyn Gardens (bloody long way from Cardiff!) an immaculate set of Corrado G60 BBS alloys. A condition of the sale when I purchased 'your' car was that I could keep the G60 BBS alloys, the original Sebrings finding themselves fitted to the Golf....didn't look too bad actually! RXs after my time, look nice though!

Turning to the mileage, Jees it's nearly 10 years ago. I think I bought her showing 50k, and sold her on at around 70k. I have photos of her but I would need to scan them as we're talking pre-digital era.

I got another Corrado now, bought as a project which I haven't got the time to finish. She's up on Ebay, awaiting a new home!! I'll post a link to the ad in the for sale section in case any one is interested.......

Enjoy her Benjo, I did! :salute: