Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Throttle pot - VR6

A long shot but does anyone know off the top of their heads how much a VR6 throttle position potentiometer costs? I accidentally broke mine inspecting it, oops.

Part is 021 907 385 B

Cheers

Kev

Actually, it's £92.40+VAT! Moral of the story - never try and dismantle it to try and clean the carbon tracks. Needless to say I have repaired mine 8)

Kev

Sorry, they are £45+ VAT. Had conflicting advice from a few dealers.

How do you know if you need one?

Flat spots and hesitancy at particular rev ranges, normally around 2000rpm.

Why? Because the carbon resistor tracks wear down.

The MAF and throttle pot work in tandem with one another, and each can run the engine independantly of eachother but for maximum performance and engine refinement, both items must be fully operational. The MAF only needs to be 0.2V out of range to muck up the fuelling, so go easy on the K&N oil.

The MAF is ny on impossible to diagnose, even when hooked up to an oscilliscope (waveform analysis), so when it's dead, it's dead and VAG-COM will not report it unless the unit is totally and utterly shafted.

HTH

Kev

ECP do TPS for the VR6 for less than £40 (or they did a year or so ago)

Easiest way to test the maf is to let the car idle once it's up to temperature, then disconnect the plug on the MAS. The revs should change.

To futher check, go for a drive with the plug disconnected.

If the car drives exactly the same as normal, you need a new MAS.

ECP do TPS for the VR6 for less than £40 (or they did a year or so ago)

Easiest way to test the maf is to let the car idle once it's up to temperature, then disconnect the plug on the MAS. The revs should change.

To futher check, go for a drive with the plug disconnected.

If the car drives exactly the same as normal, you need a new MAS.

I've already put a new MAF on and the car is much better. I tried to clean the carbon tracks on the TPS for good measure, and broke it, silly me.

There may be a problem with sourcing new TPS as the part number above has been superceded with 037 907 385 Q, which is completely wrong, as I found out today.

Kev

OK this is really frustrating me now. After a lengthy chat with VW head office today about the replacement pot (037 907 385 Q) it seems that's all you can get, and now covers 20 odd cars, inc the C VR6.

The problem is, when the new one is fitted the car idles at 1200rpm when warm.

I checked on VAG-COM that the throttle angles were correct (14 deg at idle and 92+ deg at full throttle) and they were spot on. So the pot should work in theory, but it doesn't!

If I put the old one back on, it behaves normally. But the old one is held together with superglue, it ain't gonna last long, so can't use it permanently.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kev

Picture of new and old throttle potentiometers below.

The original M4 x 28 bolts are useless with the revised pot as they're too long. You need M4 x 15, but you don't get any with the part.

Kev

Have you tried an ECU reset procedure after fitting the new pot'?

Maybe the ECU needs to adapt to the new zero level?

Do you have an ohmeter? Can you compare the "zero position" resistances?

I presume the revs are high when the engine is cold with the new pot aswell? (Mind you, I believe the cold start mechanism. takes up some throttle slack on cold starts, so this may not be affected as much.)

YMMV...

(Can you tell I do troubleshooting in my job??)

But the old one is held together with superglue, it ain't gonna last long, so can't use it permanently.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kev

Can you encase some or all of the old one in epoxy resin (like the coilpack repair :-) ) ???

just a thought.

Or trawl the breakers....

I presume the revs are high when the engine is cold with the new pot aswell? (Mind you, I believe the cold start mechanism. takes up some throttle slack on cold starts, so this may not be affected as much.)

YMMV...

Haven't tried that yet, will give it a stab tonight. If it is as simple as that, I'll owe you a few beers but I think there's something more fundamental at fault here and I suspect the internals of the new pot are different to the old one, but what confuses me is the new pot gives the right throttle position angles, so the ECU should be OK with it.

At the end of the day, if VW are issuing replacement parts then they should be advising people they need shorter bolts and need to reset the ECU etc etc. I tried to speak to VW technical but they will only speak to dealers.

Kev

I tried to speak to VW technical but they will only speak to dealers.

Kev

Can't you just try the old "Hi, it's Kev here from here... " trick ???

He he, shouldn't be difficult fooling VW...."Hi yeah it's Jim from Wolsey VW Ipswich Ltd, you know that TPS you sent Mr Hayward, well it's causing the car to idle at 1200rpm. We've done the ECU reset, checked the throttle angles and all is normal. What do we do next?"

Does that sound convincing enough???

Kev

YMMV...

Dr_mat, you genius sir! You're advice was spot on mate. Car purrs like a kitten :lol: Consider yourself the Forum's official VR6 expert!

And as an added Wednesday night bonus, removing the battery negative lead for half an hour has also injected new life into my flakey Clifford alarm.

Top man.....and thanks.

Kev

Would have been nice to get that info from the dealer in the first place tho!

...also I notice Wolsey are advertising for a Parts sales person in todays paper!

Dr_mat, you genius sir! You're advice was spot on mate. Car purrs like a kitten :lol: Consider yourself the Forum's official VR6 expert!

Just a lucky guess ... :) :)

Would have been nice to get that info from the dealer in the first place tho!

As always, the customer is left to do the graft and figuring out!

...also I notice Wolsey are advertising for a Parts sales person in todays paper!

I would apply but would probably get sacked for giving forum members a 95% discount of all corrado parts!!

Kev

Only 95%? You're such a rip-off merchant!! ;)

That would bring VW part prices down to the same as those for Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot.. etc..etc..

Only 95%? You're such a rip-off merchant!! ;)

That would bring VW part prices down to the same as those for Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot.. etc..etc..

Well, VW do need a little cash to fund the development of new cars and the other 4% is for my wages!

As for Ford parts - cheap on certain models. Vauxhall - !!!! £60 sodding quid for a 2.0 8V cavalier distributor cap!! And peugeot - French parts are really expensive for some reason, especially Renault and Renault now don't even list parts for cars older than 12 or 13 yrs old or something!

Kev

They don't need to fund any development work at all. Just start building Corrados again.

Ok maybe they should develop windscreen wipers that work, door handles that don't break, rear calipers that don't seize, leccy windows that don't rattle, heater controls that don't break, sunroofs that don't seize, headlight switches that don't break, foglamps that don't crack, headlights that are bright, brake load balancing valves that don't seize, engine hoses that don't crack... Need I go on..?

I suppose you're right - they do need some cash for development!! :)

But you love it really!

Corrados are like Golf. It's an infuriating game but ultimately very satisfying when it's going well. The desire to improve your game keeps you going back for more, and it gets worse before it gets better!

I can't think of a single car, except perhaps Toyota Corollas, that don't have a list of common faults! Don't forget the Corrado shares a lot of it's parts with the MK3 Golf and Passat, and they also break in the same way. But oddly enough, the sunroofs on these cars seem to stand the test of time. But Rockwell international are to blame there, not VW.

Kev