Sign in to follow this  
stemid

Can't remove front shocks

Need some suggestions how to remove my front shocks.

Recently got my corrado, and want to lower it. But I've found that the 7mm allen key hole on one of the front shocks is rounded off. I've considered putting some grips on the shock to try and stop it from turning when I put a socket on the top nut, but I don't want to scratch the shock as I want to put it back on with different springs.

Anyone got any ideas? I haven't got access to air tools.

Cheers

you could try using a slightly bogger allen key or spline bit,and use a hammer to make it dig into the shock..BUT it may split the top of the shock..or take it to a friendly garage and ask them to slacken it off with an air gun

Try hammering one of those star shape alley key things. I used them loads of times when the allen key bolt has stripped. Takes a bit of hammering but it does the trick

T.

Smashing 6 shades of blue out of dampers with a hammer is not generally recommended....

Use the oppurtunity to replace them with new (and better) ones.

Agree with Kev, but if you are going to replace them to get them out means you won't care if you b*gger them.

a) Hitting will most probably damage them. Gripping would be better. You're only trying to stop the shocks rod from rotating. If you're ditching it, I'd swing on the top mount and see if it comes undone. If so, bobs you're unkle.

b) Yet if it keeps rotating, can you cut (hacksaw) through the top of the threaded shock where you're 7mm allen key does not fit and use a flat screw-driver to hold it still? ©Alternatively file some flats on the thread, but that means the nut won't come off easily.

What size is that top nut? Is it about a 14mm?

Guess it looks similar to this but key hole is naffed. I hate shoddy workmen

Full replacement tips

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to invest in an air impact gun. Should whip them off no probs. I have an air compressor so it seemed the logical thing.

Just have to wait for some time off work, and for the weather to change :mad: before I can change the springs.

I would love to change the whole setup, with coilovers or maybe a spring/shock set, but I just don't have the funds at the moment. In the pipeline though. I have some 80mm lowering springs kicking around so thought I may as well use them.

Cheers

Had the same prob myself > both sides tho. The only solution i found was to chop the top plate off with a grinder - then you can work on the shock off the car.

stemid - if you're low on funds, do you seriously want to put on 80mm lowers just yet? It would be more cost efficient to do the whole job at once if you're going to do the shocks etc later ; if you drop the car you will need to reset the camber etc , and if you don't have the tools that might cost £40+

Even if you do get it off, I doubt you'll be able to get it tight again if you re-ude the shock.

This happened with me on my old mk3 16v. We split the top at the threads then drilled the rest out.

-80mm springs on standard shocks will ride very very badly!

id say the absolute max you should drop on standard shocks is -35-40mm.

if the air ratchet dosnt work(hopefully should) then just grip the piston with some rag/vice grips,but grip it at the very top where its not going to travel past the seals...

but saying that :lol: again,-80mm is a bad idea on standard shocks.

Neil.