Sign in to follow this  
stingman123

Whats this noise?

Hi All,

This is a really easy one, but I cannot get my brain into gear this morning!!

My engine is making a "ticking noise" which increses and decreases with the revs, its not the notorious tappet noise, its the sound an engine would normally make when the timing it out. With this being a VR6 engine would I be on the right lines?

Thanks 8)

Probably the chains. Is it more noticable when cold and goes away a little once warmed up?

T.

Also,

As my drive is on country roads, the engine is warmed up nicely, if it is the chains, how long have I got to sort them out? I ask because my Corrado is a daily runer and I'll have no other car in the meantime.

I'm curious - what noise does an engine make when the timing is out?

You mean pre-ignition?

BTW - re the chains, they will clatter for a veeery long time. There's very few cases of damage as a result of it clattering. It's just over a day's work for a garage, so it's not cheap. Get the clutch swapped at the same time with a genuine VW part while it's all off.

I don't think so, the noise is a constant ticking, it does sound like the tappet noise but slightly quieter.

what would I be looking for?

Typical,

no noise at all tonight, should the chains need looking at yet? She's done 94k, I've read about corrado's doing over 150k with no probs!

stingman123, Some cars on the forum have done over 200k with original chains. They are supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

OK,

Its happened this morning again, I took the long way to work wich was @14 miles, and purposely got stuck in some traffic, after @45 mins I got to work and the clicking noise was still there, I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, it is coming from the left side of the engine, standing from the fromt of the car. The clicking seems to follow the revs, could it be just the timing?

Well if its the left hand side it isn't the chains.

Could be the bearing in the tensioner for the V-belt. Can you tell whether the noise is coming from the top of the engine or the bottom?

T.

I think they all do that when the top end is getting a bit tired. Mine does it too. It'll probably quieten down after a good long motorway cruise (I mean an hour or more).

Get used to it or get a refurbed cylinder head...

Hopefully it nothing that bad eh?

I'll be doing a few runs from thr Boro to Newcastle nest week & see how it goes, if its still there and it is indeed a refurbished cylinder head, any ideas re- availability, monies?

Thanks

both will help 1 includes the noise you needto listen for and also blow by blow description how to