Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

3.0 litre re-build questions

cheers phatvr6.

it seems to list 24v 2.8 and 2.9 vr engines? it says 4 valves per cylinder.

Point being :lol: You know it makes sense ;)

i do fancy a turbo but the quiet and creamy puts me off - i'm rather uncouth me :) loud and hard-edged is more my thing :)

i fekin love the noise a 12v makes tbh - with an induction kit that is

Believe me theres nothing that compares to full throttle in a VRT. Sounds like there an angry tiger having a fight with a VR6 under the bonnet. Then theres the wastegate chatter, rushed gear changes and screaming tyres, can't wait.

Then theres the wastegate chatter, rushed gear changes and screaming tyres, can't wait.

Followed by the sound of stripped gear teeth and shattered CVs :-)

Only joking :-) I know you're not going mad with the boost so you should be OK ;-)

cheers phatvr6.

it seems to list 24v 2.8 and 2.9 vr engines? it says 4 valves per cylinder.

Point being :lol: You know it makes sense ;)[/quote:b1df8]

not to me mate. ya big soft sh*te :) :) :)

smoothness is for girls legs.

seriously though, a 24v 2.9?? i'm confused.

Cheeky fecker :lol:

Ive never heard of a 2.9 24v either though :confused:

:)

would be nice though - a 2.9 24v.

well, it would be nice for the oldies anyway. nice and smooth.

are you warm enough dear? do you want another blanket?

:)

lol

you're only as old as you feel mate :p

i've heard citroen do some VERY smooth cars. you should arrange a test drive stan ;)

(retreats to safe distance) :) :) :)

...and mine!

I can't wait for some 24v goodness.

It's pretty much the same block btw so still as raw when floored!!!

Dutch

Must be something up with mine then as I've yet to try a VR (24v or fewer) that's as coarse as mine when pushed.....it sounds thrashey aswell. Doesn't burble like VRs normally do.

I sounds kind of cammy....defo top end rattly kind of noise at 3K and above.....below that it's silky smooth, so not big ends or mains.....

Dunno....

I'll wait for it implode and then stick something tasty in. Was going to 24V ASAP but circs have changed, both the missus and I are selling up and moving intogether (rash decision, not baby related either!) so that's gonna eat my time and cash now :-(

P.S "Raw" to me = roughness btw!

yeah yeah, you go on convincing yourself of that Dutch!

only kidding - i wouldn't mind one really. what extra is involved? fly-by-wire throttle isn't it? what else needs altering for the transplant (apart from the engine obvioulsy)?

kev - one rough vr is enough thanks mate!

(i'll have your charger if ya like, but i'm getting close to ordering mine anyway!) :)

i'm tempted by that one on the gay

got a price for a big valve head today as well - 600 squid just for parts! and thats cheap! sod that.

so how much does a new r32 lump from vag cost? :)

double-6s, don't know mate, but well over the 5000 grand mark I'd imagine!!

I've seen them on the bay from 1800 quid upto 3000 though. I paid 1200 for my 2.8 24v (and Stan simular just for his engine I think)

Check out (if you've not done so already that is)

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33931

Kev, I'm sure the missus would understand :wink: :)

Rough to me is what mine also sounds like right now, raw is what I'd call the sound of a good VR when nailed in 3rd :D

Dutch

I think there was an R32 on the bay not too long ago that went for £1400 and there weren't that many miles on it either. Not sure how much extra work is involved over fitting a 2.8 24v, would be interested to know though... :twisted:

yeah only joking - an r32 is way too much for me at the moment.

i am so undecided now after speaking to a few different people: rebuild bottom end and fit my rebuilt head, or 24v. i can be so bloody fickle you know! lol

double-6s, I had the same dilema mate. I already had a reconditioned head and a VSR to fit, plus I was about to buy a brand new ABV block and piston set too. After working out the cost of this lot it was a no-brainer when the 24v came along for £1200.

I hope to spend no more than £1600-1700 in total on sourcing and fitting the 24v, compared to over £4000 to rebuild the 2.9 and pay for the VSR :shock:

Dutch

I think that was the same one I almost bought. The guy sold it on ebay and then the buyer pulled out. Someone on here mentioned it so I phoned him and could have had it for 700, but then the 24v surfaced.

Thing is though you'd still need a crank etc. too plus the chains would still need doing etc. etc. I'm no mechanic and stripping and rebuilding an engine is something I'd have to pay someone to do, which then adds even more to the cost.

I reckon I can swap the engine myself though, hence it being MUCH cheaper (in my case at least) to go the 24v route.

Dutch

I paid £1100 for my engine and ancillaries, and it cost less than £3k for the whole hog, including fitting ;)

It also burbles like the 12v, just moves a hell of a lot quicker whilst its doing it :lol:

aah, but a charger will sort that slight deficiency mate :)

i also now have a right mare with my insurance as i've got a claim pending because that r sole taxi driver drove into me, so i basically have to stay with elephant, and i'm pretty sure they're not going to like an engine swap.

so rebuild is the thing for me right now.

and 3k was a damn good price. i reckon it will be more now. and i can get away with 1500 to 2 grand for a bottom end rebuild.

'your' head is booked in with 'the man' in a couple of weeks for porting and polishing along with the manny and TB.

old school me :)

24v? pah ;)