Sign in to follow this  
blue95

Under Bonnet Sponge

try a car audio shop for some acoustic cloth spray glue :) same idea as kev mentions,about £7 a tin i think.

or is it similar stuff to evostick?

Neil.

.....You guys are a bunch of jokers!!!!

As for the bonnet got some evo stick adhesive remover, tried following the intsructions (wipe on solvent with cloth) load of crap.

In the end used paintbrush to soak the glue, u can see it change colour after a couple of wipes, then used a wallpaper scraper to remove the then very sticky glue!!!...beware evo stik stinks!!!

Try using a plastic scraper if you can, mine was metal and scratched the bonnet, not too worried though as I am going to stick new foam on anyways.

As for sticking back the foam have seen some contact spray adhesive on screwfix for a couple of quid.

#

tried following the intsructions (wipe on solvent with cloth) load of crap.

That's the problem I have encountered with all sorts of solvents (both UK and German heavy duty stuff) that I have tried so far: None simply wipe off that horrible glue residue. Annoying as I would quite like to have shiny paint underneath, and no more foamy bits on any of my 3 cars (the Mk1 never had that stuff, just has lots of shiny paint underneath the bonnet :-) ).

Tempest

Where do people get the shiney under bonnet heat resistend stuff from?
Would like to know the answer to Rich's question too. Is the Dynamat material that Kev H. mentions "silver finish"? Even if not, roughly what's the cost and where best sourced? Presumably have to cut to fit?

Thx

It's called Dynamat Hoodliner and available from most ICE outlets.

RE: removing the old glue with solvent, the trick is to use industrial glue thinners, wipe it on liberally, let it soak in and break down the glue for about 5 minutes, then another cloth soaked with solvent wipes it all off quite nicely.

Cheers, chaps; very helpful.

Looking forward to ditching the current Bacofoil and gaffer tape combo currently holding the degrading foam to the lid.