Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Changing colour of Speedlines

Got a set of Speedlines to be taken down for a refurbed this afternoon and I'm toying with the idea of getting them in a darker colour. Saw a mk2 Golf on what looked like gun metal grey alloys and they looked pretty sorted to me. Also hide the brake dust burns abit aswell hopefully which I never seem to completely remove, even with wonderwheels etc.

I'm after some openions on colour really, and ideally any links to some pictures if anyone has some?

Ta.

How about 'Dinkus Pinkus' ?

What colour is your car? I think that will play a big part in whether or not darker Speedos would look good or not...

It's twilight violet I think, sort of light pearl purple colour. Really would like them darker just to hide the dust, lazy b*$tard in the wheel cleaning department. The sandblasting place can't do two tone coating otherwise I would have gone for black insides and silver outer edges.

NickVR6 will kill me for posting these again, but He took black hammerite spray paint to his tatty old speedies for a norice meet, Looked ok if he had removed the tyre before spraying and done the centrecap also.

Hadn't thought of the kerbing problem, will have to be extra careful. Not sure whether to get them coated black or grey now... Only got 1 1/2 hours to decide, should have sorted this earlier. Or just stay with the silver... I dunno..

Zippy VR6, have you got a picture of the whole car with those wheels on?

A big reason for changing the colour is so they don't show the dirt so much so I don't think I could live with white.

I reckon a darker colour would look better on a lighter coloured C and vica versa.

Took them down to the powdercoating place at lunch and have decided to goto spit'n'polish instead on his recommendation. Turns out he doesn't do a clear coat and the sample finish I saw was slightly ripply which I don't think will look too good.

Phoned spit'n'polish and they can do two different colours plus a more thorough refurb for 51+VAT per wheel which includes fitting and balancing of tyres supplied.

Next plan is to get the outer faces in standard colour and the inner faces in black to hide the dirt as below (paintshop skills could be abit better :oops: but hopefully get the idea). What you recon? Maybe not completely black but althracite or something.

only trouble with dark paints on alloys is curbing will show up more.. ive been thinking of doing my solitudes black.

You could always just not drive up kerbs ... ?

only trouble with dark paints on alloys is curbing will show up more.. ive been thinking of doing my solitudes black.

You could always just not drive up kerbs ... ?

pah, thats too much like hard work! :wink:

Just thought I would post a few pics of the speedlines after Pristine had worked their magic to see what you think. Very pleased, only two slight imperfections which were just bits of dust that had got under the laquer but have to really look for it. Went for the anthracite colour in the end.

I kinda like that. But I'm still not sure I want to make the leap.. It's such a cliche, silver wheels, but they are *so* prevalent that a car that doesn't have silver wheels still looks odd somehow.

Cost me £240. That's for wheels which needed no filling etc, just two 'flat spots' on one wheel which cost an extra £20. Expensive but does look a pretty good job. The test will be how long it lasts, they did put a leaflet in the box saying they can't guarantee the finish for any length of time due to oxidisation that had already occured. Usual cop-out.