gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

I have the FK Konigsport coilover kit fitted to my valver. Quality is excellent and htey use Koni dampers which are top adjustable. Had the car 4 wheel aligned after fitting ( this is VITAL!!! but quite expensive, any decent body shop / accident repair place should be able to do it. I had mine done at a local Citroen repair center cos one of hte guys who works there is a G60 driver..)

I have it set up wit hthe rear dampers as soft as possible, fronts about one turn up from soft. Ride is very hard over sharp ridges and pot holes need to be avoided. However, handling is amazing and cross country comfort is fine ( we have some really cach roads in lincolnshire) Thats on 15inch original rims with 195-50-15 tyres. Have not been in another car on differnt coilies so cannot make comparison, also 8 valve is lightest C in the range i believe, so probably makes a bit of a difference too.

Having said that, i love the ride and handling of hte car, and looks ( had to lift it a bit from where i wanted the ride height as i was loosing the front spoiler every time i put it on the drive.....)

Mark

I've been running a set of Bilstien PSS coilovers for over a year now with standard bushes etc & i absolutlely love them - the ride is better than factory - super smooth,yet really tight & thats lowered as far as they will go without removing the rear helper springs !

BTW i'm still on standard speedlines,but plan to move up to 7.5 x 16's shortly,poss 8's on the rear

i've just added 3 x VF engine mounts & thats just the icing on the cake,the car feels really tight,handles great yet very smooth @ the same time.

plan to add Eibach ARB's & Strut Braces/Vibratechnics Rear Axel Bush & possibly a full set of Powerflex bushes for the front end (bit worried the Powerflex bushes will screw up the ride with lower profile tyres on 16's though)

Just a quick note - if your planning on running standard wheels with coilovers you will probably need a 5mm spacer to avoid rubbing on the rears..i've had to on a VR & a friend of mine who has a 2.016v with H&R coilovers has the same problem...

Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread before (had a quick look through and search) but has anyone used chassis dynamics springs on a VR6, drop, ride etc?

Phoned a company up about H&R's and altough they said they are very good, they don't think they're worth the price. They instead recommended the chassis dynamics ones at £90 delivered instead of £150 for the H&R's. Chassis Dynamics also make the springs for later cars with the 70mm front spring seats so no need to buy the early ones (80mm) from VW to fit the H&R's.

No mention On PSS9 Coilover Kits? I am thinking whether to go the Coilover route or Eibach ARB kit, which will give best bang for the money. I can't lower the car too much as the roads are bad in Malaysia. I coulld get the PSS9 at very good price from a mate here roughly twice the price of ARB.

feedback will be welcome

Oh forget to mention I am running 7X16 ET31 Audi TT rims so no rubbing issues at the back and the ride is slightly harder now.

Still undecided which way togo?

If your roads are bad then you definitely don't want the PSS9. It's very hard.

Better off with the PSS or H&R coilover. They're the same product but the H&Rs come with softer springs and the ride quality for a coilover is excellent.

For the ARB, just get one for the back and leave the front one standard imo.

Hi Guys, didn't want to start a new thread but on the subject of suspension....

My rear shocks are gone so looking to replace the whole lot in the near future, unfortunately cash is a bit of a prob so Koni is out of the question at the mo and i'm fed up with looking down at people in X5's so my question is..

has anyone tried these??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Corrado-VR6-fu ... dZViewItem

And if so, are they any good.

Any help apreciated.

You generally get what you pay for with suspension, if I were you I'd replace the rear shocks now and save up for some coilovers or H&R springs and Koni shocks

Just a quick question, when peeps say Koni TA, which Koni's are they talking about specifically? Ive got some Koni's on mine, they are top adjustable for damping. They are not Coilovers. Is this the ones?

Noticed only one Konigsport owner so far. I've just bitten the bullet and bought a set of these to replace my koni and H&Rs as i want to run just a tad lower. I hope im not making a mistake but i will report back soon as they are on.

As for the Koni and H&R set up i wont bang on about it as its been said, they are a great everyday compromise....BUT i also fitted lowered spring caps, only 10mm extra drop but they have ruined the ride!

Chris (2cc) has PI springs and Koni Ta's, and his ride is fantastic it really is, and the car looks much lower than mine even with the spring caps!

Heads up on prices

Sorry i forgot to say, if anyone is thinking of going FK word is that they have just upped prices. This seems to be true shopping around with most Konig quotes i got breaking the £600 mark now with ease. However, i managed to get them from Venom who have a few sets left bought in at the old price, which was nice!

No idea if they've changed the design with the price rise though, but i dont really care. If id had to pay over 600 i would have gone with H&R or Koni coilies anyway!

Well, I've got a set of Highsports going on mine soon in place of the KoniTA/H&R combo, and seeing as Nick's and my cars are virtually identical, and we live not far from each other, we'll be ideally placed to say 1)the difference between the Koni/H&R combo and coilovers, and 2)the difference between Highsports and Konigsports

Guys looking forward to yr replies, I do not have a lot of choices in Malaysia its rather limited I would say!!

Turns out mine are coilovers!! Guy I got the car from just said they were Koni TA's, but on closer inspection they are TA & Hight adj. Coilovers! 8)

Once I get round to setting them up properly, as in ride hight and damping, I'll report back as how they are.

On a different note, I dont have any of the tools needed for the adjusting. Anyone know the best place to get replacement ones from?

Noticed only one Konigsport owner so far.!

another konigsport runner here :)

had them on for a while now,and been very happy with them.

ride is very good to say im running 195/45's on 8x16's all round.

i have seen/heard a few stories about the life expectancy of em...but a few days ago i went to drop it some more :-P and with a bit of wd40 on a rag,the protective spray wiped off to reveal the coilovers still looking as new 8)

although ive lost a c spanner,and one wouldnt undo them. :roll: so not sure if they are seized or just need cracking loose with 2 c spanners.

suppose the better option is the konigsport silverline if they are still available?

neil.

I've just fitted my Konigsports today and the ride is just awfull! I havnt set it up properly yet, but its that bad im a bit worried tbh. had the shocks set half way and not a silly drop. Looking at how they work whilst fitting them, i can see that the ride quality probably improves the lower you go bizzarly!

I've just put my new weitec coilies to the test and have to say i'm really impressed :)

Turning into a sweeping bend/curve at 120 (I'm not lying - the Mrs was there) it was just totally flat, stable and solid. The ride is a bit 'poor' round town, but i'm more than willing to trade that for the high-speed stabilty. Really good high-speed/motorway ride quality too. Very smooth and comfortable.

Grinning from ear to ear we were :)

I've just fitted my Konigsports today and the ride is just awfull! I havnt set it up properly yet, but its that bad im a bit worried tbh. had the shocks set half way and not a silly drop. Looking at how they work whilst fitting them, i can see that the ride quality probably improves the lower you go bizzarly!

thats a sh!tter m8...

i have mine on the softest settings all round,they do end up pretty stiff if you set the damping high.

lowering wont affect the spring rate as such,the springs stay the same length,but the piston is sat lower down.

neil.

The lower you go, the less the helper springs are statically compressed and offer a little ride comfort.....but the trade off is limited suspension travel and bottoming out, exhaust hitting axle etc etc.....

The solution is to get some softer springs but I'm not sure if there are manufacturers that sell 2.5" c/over springs on their own.

so whats been established is:

(1) you get what you pay for

(2) the lower you go, no matter how good your suspension is, it bets a bit harch on bad roads.

(3) weitecs, konis, h&r and bilstien are all good, and the FK's are alright

that about sum it up? :D

well ive dumped it down now 58/59 and set everything as soft as poss and its much better. Wouldnt call it great but its livable with now, just! not crash just bouncy and solid!17s not an option on 40s!

cant knock the quality tbh they look the dogs, and its all personal taste.

I just like keeping my teeth in!