gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Read this thread with interest since I'm just about to get rid of my H&R springs!

Bought them about three years ago and put them on with the standard shocks. Loved the fact that the ride height looked much more like it should have from the factory and not that stupid plus suspesnsion ride height, but the shocks were no match for the stiffer springs and the car was way too bouncy.

On recommendation from just about every Corrado owner I asked, I bought the top adjustable Koni shocks. This calmed it down no end, but I still find it too bouncy. If I adjust the shocks as hard as they'll go, it's too harsh a ride, if I soften them off, I feel like I'm going to get bounced off the road (I live out in the sticks where the roads are awful - as soon as I'm town driving, it's fine).

So, in about an hour and a hlaf's time, I'm having the original springs put back on to see how they are with the Koni's. I'm hoping the shorter shocks will help keep the ride height down because I can't stand the thought of driving a tractor again and with any luck the softer springs will give me the comfort I'm after in he car (my driving style's calmed down these last couple of years anyway!).

I'll let you lot know what difference it makes...

The springs are what gives the ride-height, not the dampers.

Plus, if you are fitting them to dampers that are shorter between the spring platforms than the standard items you'll be increasing the preload on the springs.

This is likely to make the car sit a little higher still - and ride worse over small bumps...

Short of going back to totally OE suspension, what's the cheapest route to getting a more comfortable ride? Ideally keeping the height away from VW's plus suspension ride height...

I was kinda pinning my hopes on standard springs with the Koni's being The Answer!

This might be the answer for VR6 owners wanting a lowered stance, but without the harsh ride that tends to come with it. http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46783

I say might, because I haven't fitted them yet, arrived only yesterday.

The spring and damper rates were worked out by an expert based on my criteria - which was compliance and control over fast B roads.

I'll keep you posted.

Got my H&R RSS Clubsports fitted yesterday......... HOLY SH*T!!! :)

Seriously hardcore!! They are pretty mad - biggest piston I've ever seen on any suspension set up ever! They must be over an inch in diameter!

They are obviously EXTREMELY hard as the spring rates are way up there, but amazingly the ride is pretty good in general except over sharp potholes etc.

But I have to say it's the first time I have ever felt suspension actually pressing the tyres into road. It's quite wierd to be honest! And it goes round corners like an absolute Mo Fo!! :)

If you want comfort, steer clear though ;)

They're the same Bilsteins are they Kev?

They're mahoosive!! :) And I've got 570 lb springs on the front!

As soon as the kids got in this morning, my eldest daughter said.... 'the car's very bumpy today Dad' ;)

Yip....they're the same dampers as the Bilstein PSS9 mate ;-)

570 is about right for some chunky track action. Mine are the comfort spec non adjustables and 'only' have 400lb springs....but that's as high as I'd like for a road car personally.....but the ride is very good considering it's wearing 10.5Kg 8x17s at the moment....very good indeed!

You're right about the connected feel with the road....good dampers will give you that leech like grip feeling....

Yeah mine is really too hard for 'only car' use. It would p*ss me off all the time. But I pootle around in a diesel van all day, and have the blue vr which is on standard slush puppie suspenders, so I deliberately went for some over the top hardcore action :)

I keep going for a spin for no reason! :)

Absolutely :)

Now I just to 'introduce' the GF to the new suspension :)

EDIT: Just been out again and realised there is almost zero pitch (or is it dive?) under braking - even hard braking! The Clubsports keep the car almost totally flat. Nice :)

I chickened out of putting the original springs back on, so I'm still on the H&R's! I figured, after what Mike said, I'd stick with better the devil you know.

What I did have done, though, was a new hub carrier + bearing on the nearside and a new ball joint on the offside and my car's an animal again! Driving it today on a sweepy b road had me thinking most of the bounce I'm getting right now is from the rear, so I'm going to stiffen that up a bit and see if I can get away with softening the front a tad, may make the journey's a bit smoother. Fingers crossed!

Now to get the ABS working again...

Interesting thread, like the concept rather than the same old questions over and over again.

I'm looking to do a budget lowering job on my Corrado, plan to buy second hand as I'm in no rush (car isn't on the road yet). I understand the Corrado shares some or all of its platform with other dubs, does this mean I can fit mk2 suspension to my Corrado, and maybe even mk3 stuff as well?

Would love to splash out £500 on suspension, but it'd be worth more than the car. :)

The standard items are too long if you lower the car.

There are some shorter ones available from VW for the front, but the rear ones need one segment cutting out of them. There might be some shorter ones for the rear that allow a dust cap to be fitted, but I've yet to identify which they are.

Think I'll wait 'till they're shot and shorten the replacements. The rear's not so bad, but the front's are a bugger to work on (the H&R's don't fit VW's spring compressor without a degree of fettling and luck!).

Thanks for the sage advice, Mike.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Weitec coilovers? They do a Hicon GT coilover for just £475?

Or as i am on a budget would it be better to just go for the Ultra GT suspension kit that lowers 40mm, i know a couple of people have these and say they're good.

I'm just looking for a suitable lowering, preferably adjustable ride height with not too stiff a ride. My cabin rattles a fair bit and i live in the middle of gloucestershire so want a fairly comfrotable ride.

I need to replace the rear shocks as they're leaking and want a bit of lowerage but only have about 500 quid to spend :(

Any help at all appreciated!!

p.s. I have read through this from start to finnish but don't feel any closer to a dicision as all the info is on stuff out of my price range at the moment...

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Weitec coilovers? They do a Hicon GT coilover for just £475?

Or as i am on a budget would it be better to just go for the Ultra GT suspension kit that lowers 40mm, i know a couple of people have these and say they're good.

I'm just looking for a suitable lowering, preferably adjustable ride height with not too stiff a ride. My cabin rattles a fair bit and i live in the middle of gloucestershire so want a fairly comfrotable ride.

I need to replace the rear shocks as they're leaking and want a bit of lowerage but only have about 500 quid to spend :(

Any help at all appreciated!!

Weitec are the same company as KW who's coilovers are used extensively in top level motorsport (German DTM/WTC etc),so i'd imagine the're very good.

i think basically you won't go far wrong with Bilstein,Eibach,H&R or KW - all top coilover manufacturers..i can tell you from experience the Bilstein PSS coilover kit is super smooth as is the H&R Comfort kit or whatever it's called.

We have quite a few Customers who have purchased the weitecs from us on this forum with differant requirments so im sure you will get a good cross sectional view on the hicon gt's. From my point we fit them on a weekly basis and have had great feedback from 99% of there users.

We are also doing an offer at the moment for £499.99 (including your forum discount) you get a set of Weitec GT's and also a full set of Genuine Top Mounts Front/Rear.

Regards Darren

Ooohh that sounds nice g-man... I'm quite ignorant and don't know what i need to buy for it all to be fitted. I was going to take it to my local independant vw guy to have them fitted, but do i need to buy new bushes and such? Or do i have everything i need in the kit.

We have quite a few Customers who have purchased the weitecs from us on this forum with differant requirments so im sure you will get a good cross sectional view on the hicon gt's. From my point we fit them on a weekly basis and have had great feedback from 99% of there users.

We are also doing an offer at the moment for £499.99 (including your forum discount) you get a set of Weitec GT's and also a full set of Genuine Top Mounts Front/Rear.

Regards Darren

Do you sell the kit for the Fabia VRS ?

Regards Darren

Do you sell the kit for the Fabia VRS ?

Yes we can offer you the same deal on this set up - #13282003