gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

hi guys, got ochange my suspension today, picked up some coileys but - can i do it myself? couldnt find a "how to" guide anywere, thanks :) if anyone can link me somthing that would be great!

easy peasy!!! are you replacing the top caps and rubbers? I could probably talk you through it, you will need tracking done at the end though.

the front has 1 nut at top and 2 bolts at bottom and the whole strut drops

the rear has 1 bolt at bottom and a nut at the top and again it drops straight out

ok great, im going to have an atempt - btw do i have to do 2 at a time or can i do them indavidualy? as i have only one jack ps: is the big one at the fron or the back?

ok after 2 hours or so - i cant get the rudy bolts off - its like there glued on and now there starting t round off :(

ahh you know the ones! yes the 2 at the bottom! "DO NTO ATTEMPT THIS ON A HANGOVER!" How do you cut them off? all i have is a cheep hack saw.

You'll be there a life time with a hack saw. I'd first try a socket and rachet and use an extension bar... failing that. I ended up using a angle grinder.

what's peoples opinion of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE-COILOVERS-SUSPENSION-KIT-VW-CORRADO_W0QQitemZ360159605214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53db2f71de&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I Thought it seemed quite cheep but id like some advice.

Im in a g60 with 16" rims with standard brakes and YOKOHAMA/Parada Spec II tyres

otherwise ill just be getting the more popular Koni Suspension packs. Im not wonting MUCH from upgraded suspension, just nom 20-30mm drop and slighly less body roll than standard. Im not using her for a track car so just a little more responsive without being horribly stiff for every day driving.

THANKS!!! :grin:

ok, took me 2 afternoons but there on! not shure if i have made them abit low but havent felt any rubbing on bumps /roundabouts. the rinde is actualy alot better than my old springs although a little bouncy there not banging on the bumps :).

can just get about a finger between the arch and the wheel (is this bad?).

thanks for the help guys - well chuffed! btw will they need to be a sertain hight for an mot?

Speaking from experience, for future reference i'd stay away from the hottuning coilovers.

Mistrall - 1 finger space under arch isnt a bad thing. Just means its probably low enough to scrape your front splitter and CAT shield. But there needs to be enough space between wheel and arch to allow the straps can be put on for the geometry setup.

You want to drive it for a little while, maybe a couple of weeks. Then readjust the height if you want it slightly higher or lower. Then get the geometry set up on it with a 4 wheel alignment. Even if you dont want to adjust the height, still leave it a week or 2 to settle and then get the geometry done.

Height wont affect the MOT, they jack the car up anyway to check springs etc. Just means they may struggle to get a jack under :lol:

Speaking from experience, for future reference i'd stay away from the hottuning coilovers.

Mistrall - 1 finger space under arch isnt a bad thing. Just means its probably low enough to scrape your front splitter and CAT shield. But there needs to be enough space between wheel and arch to allow the straps can be put on for the geometry setup.

You want to drive it for a little while, maybe a couple of weeks. Then readjust the height if you want it slightly higher or lower. Then get the geometry set up on it with a 4 wheel alignment. Even if you dont want to adjust the height, still leave it a week or 2 to settle and then get the geometry done.

Height wont affect the MOT, they jack the car up anyway to check springs etc. Just means they may struggle to get a jack under :lol:

Thanks man, was thinking they might drop a litle over the next week, should be ok for the mot then :)

You'll be there a life time with a hack saw. I'd first try a socket and rachet and use an extension bar... failing that. I ended up using a angle grinder.

Don't forget to try the 'blue' spanner. Get a blowtorch on the nuts until they're red hot then lick and blow on your fingers and have another go. If that fails just use the grinder.........

Edit Ah, I see I'm behind on this.

has any1 used the fk sport edition plus coilovers are they any gud

or what coilover is the most preffered, i tryed readin some of the thread but havin 40 pages makes it nearly impossible

Yeh, I spent around 3 evenings reading the entire thread before i bought mine :lol:

The KW Variant's get a lot of support on this site, so I went for some V1's in the end, and absolutely love 'em! :D

Hope this helps

Yeh, I spent around 3 evenings reading the entire thread before i bought mine :lol:

The KW Variant's get a lot of support on this site, so I went for some V1's in the end, and absolutely love 'em! :D

Hope this helps

I'll echoe that. ^^^ Havent got a bad word to say about the V1s, well worth the £££ :D

Hope this helps

yeah cheers, i was just wonderin how stiff the ride is on the kw v1

Well I had some 40mm shocks and springs from G-Max, and the ride was very crashy on 17's in my Mk3.

The V1's are nowhere near as bad, granted im using my 15" speedies still, but the ride height is considerably lower. If Im honest, id say the ride quality is equal to how it was before, except now I have much better traction going round corners and little to no roll!! But I can't give any insight as to what they're like on bigger wheels however...

Best mod Im ever gonna make on my 'rado!! :D