gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Probably worth mentioning that I have noticed with all the coilovers I've used that if you go for the minimum ride height drop, the ride quality can be quite hard. I find the "2 finger" gap between arch and tyre seems to offer the best compromise of ride quality to handling and you've still got reasonable wishbone travel etc and it doesn't look too lofty, or too low :D

Ride quality is best when slammed (less preload on the springs I guess?) but the overall road holding, the worst as there's no suspension travel.

Probably worth mentioning that I have noticed with all the coilovers I've used that if you go for the minimum ride height drop, the ride quality can be quite hard. I find the "2 finger" gap between arch and tyre seems to offer the best compromise of ride quality to handling and you've still got reasonable wishbone travel etc and it doesn't look too lofty, or too low :D

Ride quality is best when slammed (less preload on the springs I guess?) but the overall road holding, the worst as there's no suspension travel.

worth noting indeed kevhaywire & thank u for taking the time to post as well

i guess, as with anything of this nature, it will take a bit of test/change/test/change to get it 'right' but the help on here has helped reenforce the kw's are the choice :)

you say 'with all the coilovers ive used' - can i ask what you use at the moment & ur thoughts on them?

No worries mate.

I currently use KW V3s :D I've had them a couple of years and aside from an initial problem with one of the plastic spring perches, they've been absolutely faultless and they get some abuse as I don't like slowing down for corners if I can help it :lol:

Prior to those I had Gaz Gold coilovers, which worked very well, but the quality was apalling. And before those I had H&R coilovers (Bilstein PSS with their own springs basically!) which were also good, but I kept having problems with front damper seals and seizing rear threads. And on other cars prior to the Corrado, an assortment of cheap crap like Avo and Spax and the like.

The V3s have been the best all rounders to date. The handling is there. The build qaulity is there and the ride comfort is there :salute:

for anyone interested, i've just ordered this morning a set of the stainless kw v1 coillies from tuning werkes for £615 delivered. i think that saved me about £115 off full retail. i'll post up when i've got them on

No worries mate.

I currently use KW V3s :D I've had them a couple of years and aside from an initial problem with one of the plastic spring perches, they've been absolutely faultless and they get some abuse as I don't like slowing down for corners if I can help it :lol:

Prior to those I had Gaz Gold coilovers, which worked very well, but the quality was apalling. And before those I had H&R coilovers (Bilstein PSS with their own springs basically!) which were also good, but I kept having problems with front damper seals and seizing rear threads. And on other cars prior to the Corrado, an assortment of cheap crap like Avo and Spax and the like.

The V3s have been the best all rounders to date. The handling is there. The build qaulity is there and the ride comfort is there :salute:

again thank you, superb info in the above post!!

i would love the V2s but am flexing the card with the V1s as it is but the help on here has reenforced they are the ones to go for

gona get em ordered & get em on :clap:

for anyone interested, i've just ordered this morning a set of the stainless kw v1 coillies from tuning werkes for £615 delivered. i think that saved me about £115 off full retail. i'll post up when i've got them on

any chance of a link pls odub?

purchase is pending :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: kw v1s on order!!!! Wooooo!!!

3-7 days 2 wait now :~

ordered direct from kw in the end,they did them for £610 delivered :)

Odub - have u managed 2 fit yours yet? Wondering if u have any tips?

Has anyone changed from wietecs to KW's......or indeed experienced both on a corrado !!!

My weitecs are starting to annoy me a little, at first I thought I could live with the 'harder' ride :lol: - so to speak - but the roads are pretty bad round my way and they are starting to aggrivate me. I'm just wondering if its worth a changed to KW's to get a less 'crashy' ride ??

Any advise much appriciated. :salute:

a mate of mine took me out in his car with weitec's on his mk3 golf and the car felt a hard ride but very well handling, but i've said this to everyone who's asked KW's are most definately worth the price tag if you don't just want to slam your car as low as it will go, since owning them theres no way i would waste my money on anything else. My usual drive to work is along crap roads, and i can comfortably drive along them without getting back ache and feeling like im driving over rocks.

a mate of mine took me out in his car with weitec's on his mk3 golf and the car felt a hard ride but very well handling, but i've said this to everyone who's asked KW's are most definately worth the price tag if you don't just want to slam your car as low as it will go, since owning them theres no way i would waste my money on anything else. My usual drive to work is along crap roads, and i can comfortably drive along them without getting back ache and feeling like im driving over rocks.

interesting, KW1's ??

what size wheels have you got ??

im still running standard speedlines with kw v1's

ok, thats what I run......thanks for your input swiftkid :salute: ........changing to KW's - 1 keeping weitecs - 0

anyone else got an opinion ??

I would be very interested to hear your opinion once you have them fitted. Are you fitting them yourself ??

I am in need of new suspension allround and am seriously considering these - but cant really justify the cost of V3s.

I would be very interested to hear your opinion once you have them fitted. Are you fitting them yourself ??

I am in need of new suspension allround and am seriously considering these - but cant really justify the cost of V3s.

I ordered v1s yesterday & plan 2 fit with my friend, also on to speedlines

will let u know how it goes & try 4 b4 & after pics

as mentioned in previous post, £610 direct from kw :clap:

I've got KW V1's on mine and have done close on 15k on them, ride comfort is lovely except I do have 17's with a 40 profile and with the higher tyre pressures in a VR, I do notice it when I go over the rough sections. Saying that, I do 60 miles a day in my commute and wouldn't change them for anything less than V3's but with current prices over £1100, it's just not justifiable!

Saying that, it probably sounds worse than it actually is as somebody had the dash out in the past for the heater matrix and I doubt they refitted it properly! Got a cure for that coming up soon tho.......!

ok, thats what I run......thanks for your input swiftkid :salute: ........changing to KW's - 1 keeping weitecs - 0

Hi mate, I would be VERY interested to hear your opinions on the change as I too have the Weitecs and I have got to the point now that I get out the car swearing my tits off everytime I drive it because the ride quality is so appauling on the fecking sheeeeite roads near me! :lol: They have even started to leak at the seals now which isn't helping and they are slowly deteriorating. Even though I really really really can't afford to buy any more suspension as I have just bought a house and should be buying furniture I hate the fact that I am now starting to hate driving my car and so I feel like I may have to fork out for some V1's and take a hit to the wallet, I can just sit on paint tins and eat super noodles for a couple of months :lol:

Hi mate, I would be VERY interested to hear your opinions on the change as I too have the Weitecs and I have got to the point now that I get out the car swearing my tits off everytime I drive it because the ride quality is so appauling on the fecking sheeeeite roads near me! :lol: They have even started to leak at the seals now which isn't helping and they are slowly deteriorating. Even though I really really really can't afford to buy any more suspension as I have just bought a house and should be buying furniture I hate the fact that I am now starting to hate driving my car and so I feel like I may have to fork out for some V1's and take a hit to the wallet, I can just sit on paint tins and eat super noodles for a couple of months :lol:

I'm sort of in the same position - cant really afford to change at the moment but considering it in the new year - my one saving grace is that I dont use the C as a daily but even so the weitecs are starting to grate on me......I end up looking more at the surface of the up and coming road than I do the car ahead which for obvious reasons isnt great :roll:

I know its a bit of a long shot but I would love to hear an opinion from someone who has done the swap before I go and fork out for KW's.

anyone........

EDIT : its even got to the stage where my girlfriend bought her own car because she doesnt like to drive my'n anymore........although thats good and bad :lol:

I'll make you a deal rob, next time im down in kettering i'll take you for a drive in my corrado with Kw's, see what you think if you'll take me out for a drive in the R32? :D

I'll make you a deal rob, next time im down in kettering i'll take you for a drive in my corrado with Kw's, see what you think if you'll take me out for a drive in the R32? :D

.......great Idea, if you want you can come down to south London to and I will let you drive my girlfriends 1.4 polo as an incentive :lol:

Sounds like a good idea to me mate! Let me know next time you are in Kettering :salute:

Which Weitecs are you guys comparing to the V1s?

As far as I know, Hicon-GTs are exactly the same as KW V1s, just not stainless, so they should both have the same ride characteristics.

Which Weitecs are you guys comparing to the V1s?

As far as I know, Hicon-GTs are exactly the same as KW V1s, just not stainless, so they should both have the same ride characteristics.

Myn are Hicon-GT's and I've heard that they are the same as KW V1's but considering the rave reviews everyone gives the V1's I cant believe, for what ever reason, my weitecs are giving the same performance as KW's would :scratch:

......obviously will never know until I actually take the plunge and swap :brickwall:

Hey guys. Newb here. I have a set of FK Streetlines on mine at the moment, running 205/40/16 setup. And they are aweful. I am in the market for some coils for DD as well as some spirited driving. I'd love to have something with adjustable dampening/height. I've been reading this whole post and can't come up with a definitive choice. The FK's are really harsh and bouncy. I feel everything through the cabin.. I'm looking at the FK V1's and the Highsports in particular. I really don't want to go over $1K for suspension. Does anyone have any recommendations?