gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Aha! - so the "Plusachse" is the plus - got it and should have noticed that myself!

Thanks so looks like Im going down the B12 equivalent route myself very soon - will see if I can find a decent price in Europe somewhere and import the B8s - don't want to pay UK prices ha-ha!

One more question please .... Not that mechanical myself so will be getting m garage to change the suspension. Need to keep the cost down but want to do the right things - while they are doing that are there any parts I should renew at the same time - that would not need significant additional labour?

Let me know if you manage to find good prices. One job (of many) I need to sort on my car is suspension. I think my springs are OK but my dampers are shot and I'd been considering the B8's but from everything I've read they seem more expensive to buy alone than the complete B12 kit!

I run Bilstein B6s - no problems so far. Are you just replacing springs and shocks? It depends on how far you want to go, but you should look at the suspension strut top mounts, bump stops, rear axle beam bushes, front wishbone bushes, ARB bushes, tie-rods and ball joints if you want to do a complete refresh.

Let me know if you manage to find good prices. One job (of many) I need to sort on my car is suspension. I think my springs are OK but my dampers are shot and I'd been considering the B8's but from everything I've read they seem more expensive to buy alone than the complete B12 kit!

Will do Jim - probably best (like the B12s) to source them from Europe - especially as the £ to Euro is quite good at the moment. May even see if Bilstein will do a Europe price match - worth a try!

I run Bilstein B6s - no problems so far. Are you just replacing springs and shocks? It depends on how far you want to go, but you should look at the suspension strut top mounts, bump stops, rear axle beam bushes, front wishbone bushes, ARB bushes, tie-rods and ball joints if you want to do a complete refresh.

What's the difference between B8 and B6? And yes was juts replacing springs and shocks - and may do a couple of other bits (just budget stops me doing it all - so just wanted to know what the mots important things to be done tat can be done at same time as that work is done

http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/products/high-performance-shock-absorbers/bilstein-b6/

B6's are "high Performance" - closer to OEM, but slightly better, B8 are sports dampers and come in the Bilstein spring and shock sets. I run the B6s to get better damping with -30mm H&R green springs and OEM bushes to get a slight drop, improved damping but nearly OEM type comfort.

I think you'll find the B8's harsher for everyday use - but it's only my opinion and there are plenty on here with experience of a huge range of suspensions. Generally, you get what you pay for. You'll also be surprised what a difference replacing all the 20 year old bushes with new ones will make, without touching springs and shocks. If you don't do the lot, you'll only see partial benefits, but I know it's expensive.

It's also possible to source something very close to how they came from the factory between VW dealers and some aftermarket parts.

The difference between B6, B8 and B12 is pretty much the damper stroke. The bigger the number, the shorter the piston rods are. B6 tends to be more OEM and very mild lowering orientated, and B8 & B12 are for bigger drops.

The difference between B6, B8 and B12 is pretty much the damper stroke. The bigger the number, the shorter the piston rods are. B6 tends to be more OEM and very mild lowering orientated, and B8 & B12 are for bigger drops.

So if im just going with the 25-30mm which the Eibach springs allow - would the B6 be more suitable?

Edited by Chuggs1

OK - trying tio get some prices from Europe on B6 and B8 as it seems to be around £100 cheaper even after shippimng - love being screwed over in good old blighty! - Just to confirm - The VR6 is Plus axle isn't it?

And also has everyone that's fitted to a VR have you had to get the bigger spring mounts? (110mm)

Thanks

Edited by Chuggs1

Ok - you can tell I had far too much drinking at the weekend - completely forgot I had already asked this question?! - Thanks though Jim

Have got a set of gaz coilovers on order for mine. Anyone had any experience? Couldn't see anything through reading the many many many pages of this thread. Was budgeting £500ish which I narrowed down to h&r comfort kit and gaz setup. Went for gaz due to the amount of adjustment height and damper seems a good package for the price.

I'm going from weitec gt ( fixed height at the back. Adjustable at the front) to these.. let you know how I get on.

I had Gaz Golds on mine back in 2007ish and they performed really well, but were schitt quality, which is common with low volume UK made stuff.

So if im just going with the 25-30mm which the Eibach springs allow - would the B6 be more suitable?

Yeah I'd go with the B6 personally.

Yeah I'd go with the B6 personally.

Lol - thanks for the reply Kevin was just getting ready to order the B8s on Thursday (payday) - hope the pound stays strong against the euro! My reasoning was that its the B8s that are with the Eibachs to make up the B12s which everyone on here seems to like. Now im not sure haha! this is so typically me when I have to spend lots of money! As like the idea of the slightly softer ride the B6s will offer argghhhh! what to do?

The ride will probably be the same as B8 & B12 in terms of damper stiffness, but if you're going for mild drop, B6 or B8 is what I'd go with. It'll be the Eibach springs that determine the ride quality overall. The B12 kit may even be the best option as that's what Bilstein put together themselves for the Corrado. Mixing and and matching may not give the best results!

The ride will probably be the same as B8 & B12 in terms of damper stiffness, but if you're going for mild drop, B6 or B8 is what I'd go with. It'll be the Eibach springs that determine the ride quality overall. The B12 kit may even be the best option as that's what Bilstein put together themselves for the Corrado. Mixing and and matching may not give the best results!

Thanks Kev - already have the Eibach pro springs - which should be the same as in the B12 kit so if I match that with B8s I should have the same - just trying to source some front spring mounts at the moment as understand these need changing as on the later VRs they were smaller

Yeah VW switched the pig tail diameter on the later car for some reason! B8s should be a good match with the pro springs if they're only -25 to 30mm. Enjoy!

Is any one running Bilstein B4 dampers? Looking for same ride hight, factory springs with better damping... or are B6 the way forward?

B4 should be perfectly suitable for that application. Just don't consider them if you ever plan to use lowering springs, as they are not suitable.

Hi guys I'm looking at getting a b12 kit im guessing if the vr6 is plus axle my 1995 2.0 16v is not, I have tried to find the answer by searching but couldn't find anything