Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Fuel Filter?

I looks like my filter hasnt been changed in a while and I was just wondering if a really dirty one would affect performance,throttle response etc? As the car seems to lag on pick up then gradually the power comes in!

Any comments please! :)

Very possibly. In my experience a really knackered fuel filter will make the pump work hard and, hence, become rather noisy. Changing the fuel filter isn't a big or expensive job and probably worth doing anyway. You could always test the fuel pressure before just so you know though.

I've changed tham on every rado i've had, they're apparently a 'lifetime part' but for the sake of £12 (or whatever they are ) it's worth changing it.

Wiki Article. Do it, for peace of mind and just because it only costs about a tenner it's worth it. Also if it's really lagged it might be putting strain on your fuel pump.

Ok guys cheers ,Ill fit one this weekend ! Come to think of it I do notice the noise from the pump more!

Ill let you know if it makes a difference. :)

I recently changed my fuel filter and its made a huge really noticable difference, no hesitation and the power is a lot smoother, highly recomend it for the small price it costs

When I changed the fuel filter in my Mk2 8v it made a massive difference, the car felt like it had about 10bhp more straight away.

The old filter was pretty bad though, I cut it open and it looked like this:

filter1.jpg

The old filter was pretty bad though, I cut it open and it looked like this:

Geo, that looks a bit poo mate, i`m not suprised the goof ran better after ditching that filter

:lol: Beat me to it trig.

If that's not enough of an incentive to change it, I dunno what is!

bcstudent, apparently so mate, strange but true.

What's your source for this information? No offence but I remain sceptical.

bcstudent, apparently so mate, strange but true.

What's your source for this information? No offence but I remain sceptical.

:lol:..I can't quite remember my source, I expect I read it on here though :wink: ..and like Dinkus said, if it's not mentioned in the service book which you'd certainly expect it to be ( being as it filters the facking fuel! :shock: ) then I spose it must be a 'lifetime part'

I'd say it should be changed more often than that, they're hardly expensive and not time consuming to change.

I intend to change mine once a year from now on, it's an easy cheap job that's worth doing IMO.

Just had my car service at VAG at 80k miles and the fuel filter wasn't changed!!! Will be investing in one of these shortly me thinks!