Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

HELLA RAINTRONIC - fantastic

Hi,

I just installled the Hella rain sensitive wiper kit in the C, very easy to

install (just a direct swap over of relays) and I had plenty of opportunity

in recent days to test it out fully.

Im happy to report that it works superbly - spent an hour on the m'way in

spray, varying rain conditions and it worked a treat with the lupo wipers.

I do always use rain-X though.

Downside: rather large sensor unit on windscreen . . only visible from

outside though as its hidden behind the rearview mirror from inside

Unit cost me £40 brand new from fleabay.

It's not quite the same, but the same technology - my boss has rain sensor wipers on his big Citroen bus thing and it's very good.

Any links?

Found one on the bay but its for BMWs, or is that the one you got?

No definately not the BMW one. There is another fairly universal one which has a list of vehicles on the box - all Corrado models included.

pictures of box below

I heard they stopped making these, looks like you got a bargain for £40!

Oh I didn't realise they were hard to come by...there's obviously plenty of stock left in Germany considering the regularity with which they come on ebay

I have the VW rain sensing system in my Rado, which came as part of the MK4 loom. It all works, but I have yet to get the sensor glued to the screen, which I will hopefully be doing this week. :)

It normally part of the interior mirror, but the corrado mounting point is solid black so I can't fit it in there. So I am going to get the MK4 rear view mirror mount bonded on just under the rear view mirror, then make a smooth bubble out of the MK4 trim bits to cover it. Should be virtually invisible, but work a treat :)

Jay

Yeah they have been dicontinued - I remember Big Boys Toys had them last summer though for around £60 so you may find they have stock?

I had these on my 406 and it is a nice feature. Go beserk when your screen needs cleaning though :?

Andi has them on his C too BTW

any pics of how/where you mounted the sensor STORM 2? It's the big black box that puts me off TBH...

I have the VW rain sensing system in my Rado, which came as part of the MK4 loom. It all works, but I have yet to get the sensor glued to the screen, which I will hopefully be doing this week. :)

It normally part of the interior mirror, but the corrado mounting point is solid black so I can't fit it in there. So I am going to get the MK4 rear view mirror mount bonded on just under the rear view mirror, then make a smooth bubble out of the MK4 trim bits to cover it. Should be virtually invisible, but work a treat :)

Jay

Jay make sure there are no air bubbles in the contact point of the windscreen and the sensor as this severely affects the sensor reading.....WHAT am I saying...I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs, sorry

No thats useful info mate. The MK4 one is like a camera lens and you mount the mirror bracket on the screen, then silicon the "lens" bit round the edge to hold it still, then clip that in place with the backing bits. So there is nothing actually infront of the sensor other than the glass. I need to make sure its in the swept area though :)

Jay

any pics of how/where you mounted the sensor STORM 2? It's the big black box that puts me off TBH...

I sited it just under the rearview mirror housing - you cant see it from the inside so no field of view issues. From the outside though you can see it through the windscreen, but doesnt look too bad...infact seems as though its part of the mirror.

Remember it needs to be in the wipe field so you cant mount it too discreetly, unless youre a perfectionist like Jay!

So other saving you the effort of moving a lever up and down, what are the other advantages?

Er, that's about it Kev :lol:

Ah OK....so just another labour saving (?) device born for the lazy arse American market then? :-)

Or in the case of my boss' French bus - another gadget to go wrong and turn it into a clown car in a couple of years' time :lol: