Sign in to follow this  
so1o

2.8 or 2.9 vr6

Hi,

This isnt much Corrado related as the engines intended for my mk2 golf. I would appreciate any help or advice you may have.

Anyway here is what i need help with. I have access to two vr6's. One has a 2.8 engine and the other a 2.9. Which should i go for.

After 3-4 months of standing(occasional starting here and there)

The 2.8 has a proven genuine 64,000 miles on the clock. Started it up after about 1 month of standing about and it ran brilliantly. The cam chains could be heard for about all of 2 seconds and then it just went quiet and idled perfectly. A bit of smoke but after a minute this went.

Now the 2.9 engine, this was rebuilt as i remember the guy asking about for rebuilders. Anyway started this up after a month and its loud. Sounds beefy as hell, cam chains could be heard for ages even when its warmed up and it was blowing out smoke for a long time. I know this engine has been rebuilt but the cam chain noise and smoke is putting me off a bit.

Now which one do i go for. My older brother raced both when i was on holiday and he said the 2.9 was quicker then the 2.8. Is there really a big difference between the two, power and torque wise?

Should i just go for the 2.9 and replace the cam chanins and hope all is well. The smoke could have been because of being stood around for ages. Didnt drive it as wheels were flat.

What are the power difference between the 2.8 and 2.9?

I know with the 2.8 it can be rebuilt if something goes wrong as oversized pistons are available but i have read that the 2.9 would need Mahle pistons etc as its already on the limit. If i end up blowing either engine i wouldnt get it rebuilt, i would just source another engine anyway.

So which do i go for?

Thanks

Duh, smooth original 2.8 or a clanky noisy smoky 2.9? No brainer there mate, unless you like rebuilding engines in your spare time.

Obviously the 2.9 is quicker, it's got 15bhp advantage. But it's also likely to cost you a small bleedin fortune if that smokiness (was it SMOKE or STEAM??) is a sign ...

Dr, cheers mate. Nice straight awnser. Thats what im thinking about, over 15bhp go through all that headache. Its not worth it is it.

Im pretty sure they are both obd1's.

And let's face it, a nice straight, reliable 2.8 with a supercharger will destroy a clunky 2.9 anyday.. :)

Not all 2.9s are bad.

There won't be any 2.8s left eventually anyway as they have to be bored out to 2897cc when they let go.

The difference there is Stealth build it and it will be better than VW's efforts.

It's worth fully balancing the entire engine block when rebuilding a 12V, with the flywheel attached (preferably a light one) as it makes a huge difference to smoothness.

Cheers, people.

I have made my mind up, going for the 2.8.

One other thing, any advantages of fitting the 2.9 inlet manifold and throttlebody to the 2.8? I have read somewhere that this will work as long as they are both obd1, which im pretty sure they are. Any gains to be had from this?

Han, if your putting a VR6 in yeh MK2 its gona be lightening quick anyway mate !!

Your not going to notice the 15 Gee Gee's down, the only thing your going to noitce is every other car on the road, driving in reverse !! ;)