Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Motorsport heroes........

.....loved James Hunt for his refusal to do what was expected of him, Mansell for proving that determination can overcome raw talent, Senna for his pure genius behind the wheel and his compassion off the circuit but probably admire Mike Hailwood more than anyone else. Just watched the new Duke DVD of his career / life and the blokes talent and bravery was unbelievable, poor wife was in tears watching it as she was his daughters best friend at the time that they were killed

Gotta be Senna - I wasa huge fan of his - remember seeing him win his first race in Estoril. He was a total genius and I was devastated watching in Imola 94 when he died.

Michael Schumacher - living legend - he's setting records that won't be broken for a very long time. I was at Monza last year and was an unbelievable experience walking round the old banking - so many greats - Nuvolari, Fangio, Ascari, Clark

And that's just in F1 - what about rallying - McRae, Burns, Tommi Makinen and then bikes - Barry Sheene, Valentino Rossi.

I love most motorsport!

Richard Burns, understated genius and gentleman of the sport. gone but not forgotten.

here here - Burnsie was brilliant!

I'd have to say everybody that races motorcycles at National and International levels. The dangers of motorcycle racing far outweigh those of the more popular car motorsport...in my opinion.

From the perspective of pure genius there are just too many too mention. I'll add John Surtees and Ron Haslam to the mix though.

burns, macrae (Jimmy), blomqvist, rossi, moss, sheene, stefan belof

i dont have time for F1 drivers anymore, there cars have everything controlled by computer, not the talent (or the huuuuge balls) the 1930s drivers had!

yeah haslam was a god! the way he rode the private bikes against the factory bikes in the 80's was amazing and then on the elf in gps always on the back foot but always giving 100%!

Still in awe of the sheer effort mansell made at Monico after Senna past him in the pits. He had to be helped onto the podium - I just don't think that todays drivers have that sheer grit and determination.

Senna was an outstanding driver, would have been good to see him and Schumacher battle it out in similiar spec cars.

Ukyo Katayama :lol:

Anyone remember the time he knocked over a marshal?!? :shock:

Another Jap driver - Taki Inoue - had the opposite happen; he got knocked over by a marshall

(These were both low speed accidents, so no one actually died, thank God...!)

Schumacher, the way he turns a car in on the track is breath taking.

yeah definately agree with that.

once u see him race you think hes good, but when u see others race with him, you cant help but notice his sheer attention to detail of every mm of the track and his pure genius...

Burns was good but no where near a legend as McRae, he was a natural, Burnsy was a thinker!

I went to World Rallys with my scottish flag to see english folk with soltaires with McRae on them? When we asked "so wat part of scotland did you come all the way down from?"

"nah mate were english! Just love Colin!" :shock: :? :roll:

What about future rising Stars & Heros?

Loeb?

Alonso?

but macrae was never a world champ!

i complete forgot about dave jefferies! RIP IOM god!!!!

what did mcrae do in 1995 then..he his the 2nd most succesfully rally driver of all time :lol:

Without question Ayrton Senna was the best driver I've ever witnessed, it's a great shame we never got to see him race Schumacher in similar spec cars.

Gotta respect Rossi as well, that guy's awesome on a bike

EDIT: Forgot the local hero when I was living up north, Carl Fogarty, damn good rider!

another one for the bikers joey dunlop(?)master of the isle of man TT

A 26-time TT winner and road-racing legend. I'm ashamed that I didn't mention him before. The people's champion.

Some of my heroes (not necessarily the winningest drivers) :

~ Circuit ~

Derek Bell (5 Le Mans victories)

Nigel Mansell (Made a big fuss about it, but he was quick)

Jean Alesi (Greatest F1 car control ever, just not quick enough to win!)

Ayrton Senna (Greatest talent in F1 ever)

Mario Andretti (Only winner of F1 championship, Indy 500 & Le Mans)

Keke Rosberg (A complete nutter behind the wheel)

~ Rally ~

Henri Toivenen (The fastest rally driver ever)

Ari Vatenen (over 50 and still faster than almost everyone else)

Juha Kankkunen (4x World Champ)

Michelle Mouton (Only woman to ever win WRC events)

Stefan Peterhansel (Paris-Dakar winner, 4x on bikes, 2x in cars)

Colin McCrae (The modern legend, capable of incredible comebacks)

~ Bikers ~

Freddie Spencer (1984 British GP - lapped everyone at Silverstone in under 15 laps)

David Jefferies (ripped 22 secs of the TT record in a single year)

Doug Lampkin (12x times world trials champion)

Carl Fogarty (Career tragically cut short - great rider)

Valentino Rossi (Has won on everything!)