Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

German style plates

Quite fancy investing in a set of german style plates.

Any clues as to what exactly is road legal here, ie font style, the badges inbetween the letters etc and where i can lay my hands on them?

Dubmeister were selling via ebay at £25 a pair. They listed them just after I paid £45!. May be worth a look or asking if they can do that price again. Great service too.

Any clues as to what exactly is road legal here

UK plates and that's about it. German plates are illegal in every shape and form unfortunately. :(

It seems to be a bit of a lottery if you chose to use them. I have had mine on for the past 5 months and have passed loads of Police cars and have not been pulled over. I hope I haven't tempted fate.

i suppose it depends how board the police are at the time, i ve been followed lots of times by police cars with no reaction from them, although one did give me a dodgy look... :)

Well to be fair, I've been pulled over with them on last year, and they didn't say anything about them then. (even though they read the car reg off them!)

Last weekend I was speeding a little, they were going the other way and couln't do me for that, so they found the only illegal thing on the car!

I'd say, sure go for it, just be prepared to dish out £30 if you get unlucky.

ive just got some off the plateman and they look good, im gonna bob them on and see what happens. the number plates ive got on at the moment which ive had on for over two years have a smaller font and ive never been pulled for it. hopefully the same will apply to the german plates

i've had mine since e38 last sept, and had police in front and behind me at varoius times with no trouble.

As i remember, with current law, the things that are illegal are:

having 'D' instead of 'GB' on the euro band.

having them stuck to the bumper not screwed in.

having the replica stickers.

the actual font is legal under EU law, and im pretty sure its ok that they're metal?

I thought there were specific regulations on the shape, boldness, size etc. of the font and the german plates don't meet the UK (for UK registered cars) criteria...?

I thought there were specific regulations on the shape, boldness, size etc. of the font and the german plates don't meet the UK (for UK registered cars) criteria...?

i would imagine your local bobby's not gonna be clued up on the exact criteria a plate should have, and tbh, if they're gonna pull you, it'll just be because you have a 'dodgy' plate.

i remember reading that the font is okay, but it wouldnt be worth me arguing if i got pulled, as the plate is velcroed and has the 'D'

The font doesn't conform to UK law, but I think technically because it conforms to German law, which is part of the EU, then the font itself is legally allowed (at the mo)...

i've had mine since e38 last sept, and had police in front and behind me at varoius times with no trouble.

As i remember, with current law, the things that are illegal are:

having 'D' instead of 'GB' on the euro band.

having them stuck to the bumper not screwed in.

having the replica stickers.

the actual font is legal under EU law, and im pretty sure its ok that they're metal?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Having them stuck on is illeeeegal? What about halfrauds selling replacement plates to all and sundry and advising you to use sticky pads?

Had no bother yey but am expecting some with the onset of this anpr bollix, But Im stuborn so wont take them off till Im told to.