Sign in to follow this  
jonny-5

Henny? RW1? What is this?? ..

I'm putting bets on some sort of cruise control setting thingy...

Im putting bets on Yandards having far far too much time on his hands atm, when he should be packing! :p :lol:

Well I have taken a spare set of clocks apart and consulted the blue books of much info with no joy.

The connection is not listed in the wiring diagrams that I can see and I am confident I know where the oil buzzer is on the PCB.

I am going to put some dosh on it being a factory test connection or for an obscure accessory like cruise control.

Anyway piccies:

the part you have marked as the buzzer is not a buzzer, its a variable capacitor, i am pretty sure the buzzer is not in the cluster.

i have also seen cars with cruise control fitted and there was no connection to that contact, i am still pretty sure its some kind of diagnostic/mileage reading port.

Im putting bets on Yandards having far far too much time on his hands atm, when he should be packing! :p :lol:

Thats what removal firms are for..

Can someone go to a dealer and ask? Although they prob know less than us regarding it!

Haha! They wonder what the turbo lag is like on the G60!

Dealers know squat!

Well i'd never thought i'd post something that know one knew the answer to (yet!) i'm going to go and ask the stealers in a minute - don't know if it's really worth it lol

lol, gl with the Stealer mate.

as said above, they know very little about everything.

ps, expect a bill when they do answer the question (incorrectly) ;)

according to a mate of mine it was intended for reading information from the clocks via a computer, i have taken the clocks apart a few times and there is not a buzzer inside the actual cluster, the contacts behind the blanking plug just go to the chip on the back of the clocks.

Right and wrong all in one post.... ;)

Right that it was intended by VDO for reading info, but was never implemented...

Wrong in that the oil warning buzzer IS on the circuit board for the clocks... coolrado's right that the hi-lighted bit is a variable capacitor, IIRC the buzzer is on the circuit board for the Revcounter... (feck knows why though! :lol: )

Why is it on some clocks and not all of them?

I had it on my 91 G60, my friends 92 G60 does not have it!

Always bugged me when I had the car, never got round to asking what it was :lol:

I'd guess VDO put it there on the early gauges, but cos it never got used when they came to updating the gauge cluster, they ditched it.

Good to know what it does at last .... nothing :roll:

IIRC the buzzer is on the circuit board for the Revcounter... (feck knows why though! :lol: )

Doesn't the buzzer come on when you go above 2K revs when the oil pressure is too low?

steve_16v, yup...

that's why it's on the rev counter circuit board then, if it was on the other circuits then the rpm data would have to be sent to another board as well, not a problem with today's technology but quite a lot of unecessary data flow on 17+ year old hardware. Putting it on the rev counter board was probably the easiest way of implementing it at the time.