akacheesy

headlamp reflector removal???

Yes, loom and bulbs will buy you lots of lumens but it's still going to look bad (and fail MOTs) if the reflectors are useless.

I used Dual Metallising last year, they provide a great service with really amazing results. The issue you will have however is that the adjuster screw mechanism will collapse due to the crappy non-heat-stable plastics if you're not ultra-ultra- careful when removing the reflector from its retaining ball-and-socket mount points behind the reflector.

I trashed both of mine and wound up fabricating something out of some similar (but smaller) parts off a Scirocco headlamp (still available for a couple of quid), and some large penny washers and self-locking nuts. It's a pain to adjust now ..

Yes, loom and bulbs will buy you lots of lumens but it's still going to look bad (and fail MOTs) if the reflectors are useless.

I used Dual Metallising last year, they provide a great service with really amazing results. The issue you will have however is that the adjuster screw mechanism will collapse due to the crappy non-heat-stable plastics if you're not ultra-ultra- careful when removing the reflector from its retaining ball-and-socket mount points behind the reflector.

I trashed both of mine and wound up fabricating something out of some similar (but smaller) parts off a Scirocco headlamp (still available for a couple of quid), and some large penny washers and self-locking nuts. It's a pain to adjust now ..

It's funny you mention this - I've dismantled my headlamps - reflector fine on one side, dull on the other, so need it remetallised. Re: the adjuster, I was thinking it was me being ham fisted when the plastics started to snap, but @easypops advised me otherwise. Anyway - I'm on half a mind seeing if I can get one 3D printed. Got a friend who is good with CAD and could model it and see how it turns out on a printer...

I just looked at the adjuster and a bit fell off the handle ha. My adjusters will no longer adjust as to fragile but are intact enough to to secure the reflector to the headlight. Just wish you could buy them new to finish off the refurbishment ! You don't actually have to touch the adjuster to remove the reflector, just unlip the internal whaite clips. Strangely enough my passenger side was dull as dishwater but drivers not to bad although showing some wear.

Dropped them in this morning and will collect in a few days. £125.00 + Vat But I always take a walking stick with me when getting a price face to face - joke !

I imagine easypops has 10 sets of the adjusters under his pillow :shrug:

Edited by Keyo

Good to hear a good reference - he mentioned the problem with the factory ones is they have no lacquer but thankfully Dual put an additional lacquer on them so should last a long time.

Is it the knurled knob of the adjuster that breaks, or the white plastic clamp thing that sits on the end of the ball joint/screw?

I have a nice set of electric adjusters stashed away, and they have a manual dial for adjustment as a backup.

The handle and the internal sleeve are fragile it is a very poor quality plastic. The white bits on the end that house the reflector are better quality and were still very strong.

Looks different then the Corrado one but seen these and says fits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-FRONT-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-ADJUSTER-SET-SCREW-BUSH-CLIP-KIT/192933421670?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGON-CAR-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-FULL-ADJUSTER-KIT-SCREW-BUSH-CLIP-SET/152604842890?fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item2387f51b8a:g:jicAAOSwbtVZS8FN

Edited by Keyo

Is it the knurled knob of the adjuster that breaks, or the white plastic clamp thing that sits on the end of the ball joint/screw?

I have a nice set of electric adjusters stashed away, and they have a manual dial for adjustment as a backup.

The knurled knob is a bit weak, but that's no big deal, it's the large plastic grommit type part that engages into the rear of the headlamp housing and has the screw thread through the middle of that breaks. You don't need to touch the adjuster to remove the lens, but it's very hard to put so little pressure on the adjuster that you get the reflector out without breaking it, it's phenomenally fragile.

3D printed replacements would be GREAT. If you can find an undamaged one to copy .. !!!

The handle and the internal sleeve are fragile it is a very poor quality plastic. The white bits on the end that house the reflector are better quality and were still very strong.

Looks different then the Corrado one but seen these and says fits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-FRONT-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-ADJUSTER-SET-SCREW-BUSH-CLIP-KIT/192933421670?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGON-CAR-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-FULL-ADJUSTER-KIT-SCREW-BUSH-CLIP-SET/152604842890?fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item2387f51b8a:g:jicAAOSwbtVZS8FN

These don't look big enough to me. It needs to be about 30mm diameter.

I take it the knurled handle is meant to spin up and down the thread because mine has rusted on the end. Also the sleeve inside has snapped on both also casing that fits in housing is loose with cracks . Looks like I'm going to have to buy some adjusters, I suppose I could see it as £250 for basically new headlights (reflectors) and that adjust properly. I imagine all the second hand light available will be in poor condition so do not think it was better to buy some second hand headlights.

I take it the knurled handle is meant to spin up and down the thread because mine has rusted on the end. Also the sleeve inside has snapped on both also casing that fits in housing is loose with cracks . Looks like I'm going to have to buy some adjusters, I suppose I could see it as £250 for basically new headlights (reflectors) and that adjust properly. I imagine all the second hand light available will be in poor condition so do not think it was better to buy some second hand headlights.

Yes it's a problem .. you can buy new old stock headlights, but I've only ever found one side. https://www.vwheritage.com/536941018-headlight-for-right-hand-drive-right-vw-spare

I fabricated something:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?108656-Headlights-still-poor

Edited by dr_mat

Yes it's a problem .. you can buy new old stock headlights, but I've only ever found one side. https://www.vwheritage.com/536941018-headlight-for-right-hand-drive-right-vw-spare

I fabricated something:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?108656-Headlights-still-poor

That headlight is for an early car DR Mat. Arz are selling the OE adjuster for 60 euro each . By the way you can still buy the seal for the adjuster.

Edited by Keyo

I'm sure I found them selling a headlamp for a late car at one point, but it's not listed any more.

60 Euro. Ouch. But yeah, they are rare and unique ... !

I'm sure I found them selling a headlamp for a late car at one point, but it's not listed any more.

60 Euro. Ouch. But yeah, they are rare and unique ... !

I actually have purchased two of the adjusters and just got off the phone to the councillor seeking redemption.

Edited by Keyo

I actually have purchased two of the adjusters and just got off the phone to the councillor seeking redemption.

Ha ha - I think I might actually have a few of these bought when they were more reasonably priced stashed away. Methinks I'll stick them up on Fleabay for something outrageous! ;)

If anyone has a 3d image of the adjusters we can probably machine them in aluminium or in a hard plastic

The main thing apart from the adjusting is that they have a seal as well so if your rear adjuster is cracked or snapped it could let damp and water in the headlight unit.

Ok update,

Headlights are transformed well worth getting the reflectors done.

The new headlamp adjusters OE VW form ARZ in Germany that cost a fortune, what can I say! To fit them you have to press them in and twist to house to the black cover the bit where the seal is. So anyway the new old stock started to crumble under some little pressure, but there was plenty enough left to house, so in other words the new old stock are fragile as well so I would consider a modification rather then buying, quite clearly the plastic manufacture is well below standard. Hey HO !

Edited by Keyo

Re the NOS falling apart too ..

This doesn't surprise me. We really need someone to get some 3D scans done and open source these parts.

Re the NOS falling apart too ..

This doesn't surprise me. We really need someone to get some 3D scans done and open source these parts.

100 percent agree. I spent a fortune on these and have fitted and adjusting but a crap feeling when you buy something new and bits flying off, not sure how long they will last but all I can say is I was careful to install but when you push in and twist to house they start have little chips flying off !!!! It is a very brittle plastic it should have more play in it . In fact it should be aluminum in my opinion .

Edited by Keyo