Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

OBD2 VR6

Immobiliser transponer & key. If you want to be more specific, the sensors you need are MAF & Lambda probe. You only need the top of the inlet manifold.

Oh and make sure the loom is conplete ;)

Don't forget the little loom that goes from the fuse board to the immobiliser transponder and OBD comms line. Breakers often forget that bit as it's inside the car, but they're same across all MK3 Golfs/Ventos/Corrados that the factory immobiliser.

Immobiliser transponer & key. If you want to be more specific, the sensors you need are MAF & Lambda probe. You only need the top of the inlet manifold

Are these the only sensors you need trig ?

Fitted the inlet and throttlebody this weekend, but left everything else as is.

First impressions are good - much snappier throttle response due to the different linkage, the torque peak now appears to be at ~3500rpm and the peak power doesn't feel like it's dropped much.

One thing, the butterfly on a 2.8 OBD2 throttlebody is significantly bigger than that of the OBD1 (or at least on the examples I have). I'm guessing, but it may also be bigger than a stock 2.9 OBD1 item as well.

I thought the OBD2 plate was smaller than the 2.9?

Anyway, here's one I ported earlier.... red line is where the step used to be.

BoredOBD2.jpg

Interesting - different again from the ones I have which are more like a big bore OBD1. That looks more like 24v throttlebody? Part number is consistent with a 2.8 24v from a Mk4

When was the change-over OBD2? The bits I have are from a very late Mk3.

Maybe I should change the title of this thread... :)

That's a Highline throttle Mike, if yours is off a MK3 then it should definitely be exactly like that one and have a cable quadrant. 021 133 064.

24V ones are drive by wire.

OBD2 change over was 96/97 I believe and went up to a 98 on an R plate.

Fitted the inlet and throttlebody this weekend, but left everything else as is.

Is it possible to fit the throttle body without fitting the OBD2 loom??

Physically yes, but there'll be no idle control or throttle pot without the loom and ECU!

So Trig, fancy trying a bored out OBD2 throttle on yours then? I'm just curious to see if it'll make a difference on a normally aspirated car. I've got two flowed ones, so I'll post you one to try if you like?

Abso-frickin-lutely.

So they can be flowed but you can't increase the butterfly size because they are sealed, is that right? PM'd.

Aye, that's the crack yeah.

This is what lies within the murky depths of OBD2-ness..... See the metal arm thing in the middle of the clock type spring? That's the other end of the butterfly spindle and VW welded that arm to the spindle :roll: . The cable quadrant end of the spindle is also welded!!

So nope, there is no [easy] way to strip it all down and fit a larger butterfly, although I'm gonna damn well try as I've got 3 OBD2 throttles now, LOL! VW did not want anyone to rebuild these throttles so that they can charge £279+VAT for them instead....but VW didn't realise how long they'd last, easily 150K+! :lol:

The large white gear is your motor for idle filling and underneath the tan coloured plastic gear is the throttle positions sensor...

Oh well...

So, I have late-model AAA obd1 throttlebody which coincidentally appears to have an inside diameter that's about the same as the gas-flowed ABV obd1 throttlebody I took off.

On the plus side the different linkage makes for a much more direct throttle action.

To rescucitate this thread...

Kev, what Diameter is the butterfly on the OBD2 TB in the picture?

I now have the correct parts, but note that the butterfly is 70mm diameter

For comparison, the butterfly in the gas-flowed OBD1 2.9 TB I have is 65mm, as is the one in the standard OBD1 2.8 TB I also have.

Not sure Mike, I haven't attacked it with the verniers yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

It looks smaller than the OBD1 throttles to me, but I'll confirm and let you know.