Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

does this look like an 18 month old rad?

Think i have been well and truly tucked up by the mill gap garage in eastbourne. they apparently fitted this new rad in october last year. what do u guys reckon??

Looks goosed to me, so they fitted it october 2004, or 2005? It may be just cheap poor quality parts. I've fitted a ECP rad to mine, hope it doesn't look like that in 18 months.

If it was new there may be a gaurantee on it, probably would only be 12 months but its worth going back and asking them.

dunno what it is but i paid 150 quid for it. bit naive in those days. pretty peeed of about it. feel very ripped off!!! oh well. do u havve to take the front bumper off to change a rad? or does it drop out the bottom some how?

can get the part number off the side of the rad dunno if this will mean someone could tell me if it is a poor quality pattern part or a scabby old rad that was hanging round the work shop off another car??

Salt in this country does seem to corrode things quite badly but that doesn't look as bad as some originals I've seen... that may be a ECP one as they are a lot lighter than the VAG ones - VAG ones are marked 'Denso-Marsden' on a sticker at the top...

I've got a 16V, reckon the VR6 is fitted the same, someone will correct me if not.

Remove the plastic rad cover, there are 2 brackets that push into the top of the rad, they bolt into the slam panel, undo these and remove the brackets from the rad (keep these as they dont come with new one). Then I removed the grille and unfastened 4 bolts that fasten a plastic sheild onto the rad (directs the air through it) - its quite fiddly, bit easier if you unbolt the horns too.

Then unfasten the rad hoses, you may want a tray underneath to catch coolant. The radiator then lifts out up through the engine bay. The rad has 2 pegs on the bottom as part of the moulding, these locate on the front panel, make sure the new 1 sits in these holes.

Bolt everything back up, replace factory hose clips with worm drive/jubilee clips - but don't overtighten, put new coolant in, bleed system of air and check for leaks. If all is good refit the plastic cover.

An aftermarket rad wont have a VW part number on, but will have a makers name on, I don't know make of factory fitted rad, but ECP rads are made by EIS (german company) . VR6 ones are about £90.

Yeah, similar procedure for VR6 but it's much easier of you remove the front bumper as the clearance between the twin fan setup and inlet manifold is tight to say the least...

anyone got a gsf or ecp rad on their rado?? what do u reckon to the quality. cafyns eastbourne want 355 quid to change the rad. the parts are 155+vat (rad). is it worth the extra over the gsf/ecp stuff? they are 128 quid with the vat. is this a unique part to the corrado vr6 as the golf vr rad is only 80 +vat

The Corrado rad is the same as the Golf one.

You get the top plastic elbow joint included with the VAG one - you don't with the GSF one.

I bought a GSF one and it was painted black and looked a bit suspect, so I took it back and got a genuine (non-painted) VAG one instead. With the discount I get, it worked out at £133 for the VAG one and £128 for the GSF one.

I did it by taking the bumper and slam panel off and changing it that way - it's a big part to take off (physically), but only a few bolts hold it in place, so doesn't take too long. It gives you a chance to get in and clean stuff up without removing the skin from all your knuckles too.

Alternatively, you can unbolt it and kind of turn it on it's end and pull it out by the battery, but there's bugger all space for movement in there and it can't be a fun job.

I've just had my rad changed, I got an ecp rad for 122 quid delivered and then got it fitted for 60. It looks alright so far but it was only last week. Another lad on here paid £300 Fitted for the same rad, but the garage he took it to charge near stealer prices.

i think i'm gonna attempt the job by taking out the lights and the slam panel ( and maybe the bumper) how do you get the bumper off?? do u just drain the system then take off the bottom hose fit new one (with a lot of grazed knuckles and swearing), attach bottom hose, fill rad, attach top hose and fill header, reattach bumper and slam panel?

As a note you should fill the coolant via the top hose before reconnecting it, not the expansion tank.

I've just renewed my coolant and was advised on here this is the way to avoid air locks on a vr.

Ive just replaced my rad with an oe one after buying a ECP one and not liking the quality! With a club discount it cost me £152 from my local dealer ,so didn't pay for postage! The ECP one cost £132 delivered! I don't know why I bothered ,should of gone oe from the start !

Know Ive got the hassle of returning it ,but its worth it !

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... highlight=

slam panel out a good bet??

do you just fill the rad with coolant until full then attach the top hose and fill from the header?? or can the whole system be filled via the rad?? sorry but i have alot of questions about this as don't want to start the job and realise i have to take it to the stealer