Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Can anyone suggest where the oils coming from (See pics)

Trying to find out why theres Oil all over the place, Which is only on the drivers side...

Guy i bought the car from convinced me it was a simple fix and should be able to do it myself...

"Another person passing on a Corrado that needs more attention that he lets on, just so he gets it off his hands" The work that needs doing is multiplying over nite. :x :x :x

We should have a name and shame on here.... :x

Anyway i've attached some pics for you all to look at to see if you can possible suggest what needs doing.... (Long shot I know)

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Yep, reckon that could be a leaking damper thats dripping onto the driveshaft and conveneintly sprayed/distributed by the rotating driveshaft. Reckon you've got more than one leak though because the front of your sump is oily too and thats too out of the way to be coming from the driveshaft.

if it were me I'd jet wash everything and use some gunk (keeping electrics dry)

then you'll have a better idea where the leak is coming from and if it's just the one

if it were me I'd jet wash everything and use some gunk (keeping electrics dry)

then you'll have a better idea where the leak is coming from and if it's just the one

Yep, it's gonna be hard to see where all that's coming from without cleaning it all off first. It looks pretty ugly too :?

The Guy i purchased it from rekons his mechanic said it was a Crankshaft Seal ????

tbh its not the damper!!! I have a feeling this leak has been there for a while, and the guy just kep topping up the oil when needed. The whole of the leg and all inside the wheel is caked in this gunk... Its all driver side even reaching as far back as fuel filter...

The thing is I don't want to take his word for it as so far everything he's told me thats wrong with it has become even bigger....

I was hoping to do this myself, but i don't even know if it is coming from this Crankshaft...

The Car did belong to a current forum member....

Try the oil pressure sender on top of the oil filter, mine was leaking, thought "oh it will be ok" next time I looked oil all over the block, gearbox, had it up on the ramps recently and underneath is covered as well.

Swapped it out and alls fine now.

rocker cover gasket? just replace it for the £5 it costs, mine was leaking at the back.

could even be the head gasket weeping

have small pools of oil collected on the inlet mani?

rocker cover gasket? just replace it for the £5 it costs, mine was leaking at the back.

could even be the head gasket weeping

have small pools of oil collected on the inlet mani?

weeping?

small pools of oil?

have you seen the pics dude!!!!! :)

Let it leak and degrease it once a year - rust protection system!

weeping?

small pools of oil?

funny very funny , i like the idea of rust protection , :D and i think its only a minor leak , considering i used to work on french cars ha ha , but honesty it does look nasty , pressure wash it good and then look for leaks when its clean mate :)

lol. i didn't mean anything by that. it just looks fairly bad! not saying it is bad as i aint got the knowledge :)

lol. i didn't mean anything by that. it just looks fairly bad! not saying it is bad as i aint got the knowledge Smile

yeah i know fella, no worries!

As for the leak its likely just small or you would be topping up the oil all the time, get it washed and see how long it takes to re appear, eek hope you get it sorted for your driveways sake :lol:

If it is the Crankshaft Seal, How hard is this to do.... I have noticed when ever the car is driven and i bring it home, fresh oil apears to be dripping from the front, Not major heavy but it is apparent...

AAArrrrrhhhhhhh.....

You have to take the bottom pulleys off, then the crank bolt (replace with one from a Mk1 Golf, do a search and it will tell you exactly which one) then you have access to the seal. In the Haynes it says to prise it out by screwing in a screw and prising it out.

Things that can go wrong are the four allen bolts that hold the pulleys on are made of cheese and will round so make sure you have some splined bits to hammer in.

Crank bolt is very tight and is a 19mm 12 point bolt.

Could be worthwhile doing a full service and changing alternator and power steering belts whilst your down there

Cheers destructiv dave... This is exactly what i needed to hear, some tutorial help... Why replace with a Mk1 Golf???

Do i need to mark the Cam to keep the timimg aligned?? As i presume i'm taking off al the belts

mk1 bolt is stronger and the crank bolt is a strech bolt on teh corrado so can only be used once.

that sounding good mate, shouldnt take you to long :-)

Were can i get the bolts from? Do GSF or EuroCarParts sell them? What do i exactly ask for over the counter?

Could do with a list of entire parts that i'd need...

mtc,

Time up the engine so No.1 cylinder is TDC.

Take off the cambelt cover and slacken off the tensioner. (5mm allen head at back of engine)

Undo 4 hex bolts for the bottom pulleys (6mm allen key).

Mark the position of the power steering brackets then loosen and take belt off.

Loosen alternator and take belt off.

Take bottom pulley cover off (2 x 5mm allen key); you may need to take the pulley off the water pump to gain space to move the cover out.

Undo bottom pulley bolt (19mm 12 point bolt) renew with Mk1 Golf part.

Use haynes manual technique of screwing in and levering old seal out.

Renew seal and rebuild back up changing as many parts as possible or practical.

If I were you I would dump the oil and drop the sump and renew the sump gasket (this also makes it easier to take the seal out as 3 x 10mm bolts hold the plate on, then you can push it out and push a new one back in).

As you can see it is quite a laborious undertaking and is a seal that doesn't get changed all that often if at all.

If I were you I would get it jet washed and try to pinpoint the leak or live by the old motto "Old Dubs don't leak (oil), they just mark their spot".

Yeh Gaz, well technally it was my cousin, convinced him to buy then sell ???? To be fair its not that bad... Loads of recent engine work which costs him a fortune.. Needed a New battery, starter switch and oil leak which is suspected to be Crankshaft oil seal, Air box side...

Cheap and cheerful for what i paid for it so don't really mind...

Hopefully oil leak should be done this wk'nd... Then sorted !!!!

You had any further Joy on finding another ??

Cheap and cheerful for what i paid for it so don't really mind...

thats true enough, as long as you dont mind getting your hands a bit dirty and give the car the tlc it deserves :thumbleft:

You had any further Joy on finding another ??

not really, i got fed up with looking tbh but ended up going for a nearly new supercharger to go on my vr6, i quessed that if i was going to spend the money then i`d probaly be best spending it on the `malingerer` of a car in my garage than buy something else that was likely to take more money away from my vr :lol: