Sign in to follow this  
Storm77

An economical VR6?...

Had a cruise over to Oxford (about a 40 minute journey) today at a steady 60mph with the odd burst to 80mph on the dual carriageway parts...looked at the MFA when I parked up and it was 36.5mpg!! :shock: Was really chuffed!

Looking at the trip, I'm averaging 29.8mpg over a 1300 mile period. These 1300 miles are a balance of several longish trips and the rest being round town trips to the gym...even includes a few spirited sessions in there!! Don't think it was ever this good before the remap.

So all in all it's pretty impressive stuff IMO for an 11 year old 2.9 lump to produce that sort of economy :D

What's everyone elses economy like? Are these figures I'm seeing about average? What are your trips showing?

Have a looky at Trigers post about his OBD2 conversion. He is getting some good figures. after doing a propper test without using the MFA it looks like the MFa is overreading a touch, But you have to ask yourself..................

a steady 60 mph? whats that all about? :)

I bet your actually doing less MPG, the MFA on mine both over-read, one by about 3MPG, the other by about 5MPG

i saw 39mpg last week,doing a 50 mile trip at about 80mph,the gauge hardly moved,im averaging 27mpg around town etc

I nearly shit myself when I saw 32.6mpg on mine... Shoulda taken a picture!! I think I've only ever got over 30mpg a few times!!!!

I had a go at the mpg challenge in my VR and had to take a pic when it got to 40 :D

DSC00089.jpg

Does the ECU remember how you drive, as after i got it to 40 (which took about 40 miles at 50-60 mph!) it seems to get past 30mpg alot easier now :roll:

The highest mine has read is 41.1 but I know I can get higher, especially if I reset it whilst on the move (which is cheating).

Mine over reads but about 10 percent and I reckon that's pretty constant accross all VR's (and others maybe).

As Trig mentioned in his thread, taking roundabouts in 5th is always a good one!

double-6s - lol, I wish I could use it more on that journey...most of the road to Oxford is a 50, it's busy, and there's about 4 cameras along it! Good for the wallet though!

madscientist - you sure you didn't cheat and reset the trip whilst cruising down a hill?!!

might have to do a calculation to see if I'm over-reading just out of interest.

We got 35.5 mpg indicated on MFA on 200 mile run this week.

I have never seen any instantaneous reading over about 37mpg.

YAWN!

I see 22mpg on the MFA usually, but then I didn't buy a VR for its fuel economy.

was8v said

I see 22mpg on the MFA usually, but then I didn't buy a VR for its fuel economy.

Too right. We can always live in hope, though, especially since last hike in petrol prices in past few years.

Here's one for you another VW. Any guesses what it is?

I know you VR boys would like to see these numbers more often. :mrgreen:

YAWN!

Nor did any of us, but it's a bonus when it's kind to us during the occasional leisurely cruise.

For quicky1980, everyone else look away now.

My £62 ebay Passat 1800 GT. A top car if a bit too red for my liking. :roll:

Gavin

speaking of economy, since the weather's got warmer i'm averaging an extra 20 miles for my 30 quid & i'm probably driving like a bigger twxt as well! v v strange!