Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Oil Operating Temeperature on VR6

Mine sits around 96 normally. Maybe rising as far as 104 with fast driving or in traffic

Thanks for that guys I was just getting a little worried at it showing 116 degrees on the motorway the other day, but it was hot and i was doing 110mph so I guess i should'nt worry too much.

Did notice I have had higher oil temps after changing from Synta Silver to Mobil 1, think i may go back to former.

116 C is fine... that's about 240 F and that's the upper limit of the "safe" range for most oils.

Oils are usually designed around a 210-220F operating temp, hence most thermostatically controlled oil coolers open at about 180-190 F. Sorry about the unit conversion

Skye

Your temps are fine....

Oil does NOT break down until it reaches 150degC plus.... this was actually stated in the manual for the MK1 Golf GTi :D - and obviously oils have come a long way since then....

Mine sits at 100deg C on a gentle A road drive.... but sits at 110 - 116deg on fast motorway driving.... and up to 126deg when blatting it very hard :twisted:

Mine was reading 94 degrees at 80 mph in 27 deg C heat today, but then I do have an oil cooler in front of the radiator :lol:

The cooler has lowered overall temperature 20 degrees as I used to get 114 deg at 80 mph. Definitely worthwhile. When pushing it and crusing at 120 ish, it still only climbs to 102-104. Sits at 100 stuck in traffic. They are the temps I like to see personally, especially on the VR6 renowned for it's excessive heat soak.

Kev

Okey dokey, in the attached pic you can see where I've located the mocal cooler, behind the grille. Some folk suggested down in the passenger inner arch where the G60 intercooler lives but I felt the cooler would do a better job in front of the radiator.

Sourcing - Vince sourced the parts for me from http://www.thinkauto.com

You need a 13 row by 245mm one and a fitting kit. The latter consists of a length of hose, 4 unions and a car specific sandwich plate/thermostat.

Fitting - If you use my method, the bumper & slam panel assembly both need to come off (easier than it sounds) so that you can properly measure up and attach the cooler to the slam panel.

You need to then source some suitable metal to bend into brackets. I used those long metal shelving strips with holes in you can get from B&Q. Sounds bodgy but the cooler has been there since March and hasn't moved a single milimetre. And that is important as space between the cooler and radiator is tight. Once you're happy with the brackets, use some 6mm bolts and nuts to secure them to the slam panel and then to the cooler.

Fitting the sandwich plate is easy and best done with the radiator tilted forward out of the way, or better still, removed completely. A good time to check the rad for blockages and replace the thermostat - as preventative maintanence.

If anyone is serious about fitting one, I am prepared to pay you a visit and help you fit it as it's a good mod and worth doing.

Kev

Good job nice one Kev. Probably won't get round to doing this til next spring, but will definately get this done.

thanks

Matt

If anyone is serious about fitting one, I am prepared to pay you a visit and help you fit it as it's a good mod and worth doing.

I still haven't got around to this yet and would appreciate it if you could tell me the exact unit needed (seems to be a lot of 13row 230mm units available on site given) and if your still offering to lend a hand then I will be more than grateful and drive to your neck of the woods.

cheers

Mark

Best thing to do is ring Vince at Stealth Racing and he'll send you all the bits you need. He gets them regularly and knows exactly what parts you need.

You're more than welcom to pop up for fitment and then you can see the difference on the journey home :lol:

Kev

Cheers Kev, I'll get on to Stealth Racing tomorrow and order the bits and contact you when I have them.

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers

Mark

No probs mate. Bargain on a trip to B&Q for some bits of metal and bolts/nuts and about 2 to 3 hours one weekend!

Let me know....

Cheers

Kev

Right I've just ordered the mocal kit from Vince at Stealth for a total price of £250 (sound about right?), he's sending it mail order to myself so I'll receive it maybe this week. :D

What length of metal strip do I want and I need 4 nut/bolts? :?

Cheers

Mark

Other than the reduced oil temperature, do you notice any performance, oil consumption or any other differences?

Yeah I think my kit was around that sort of price. The fitting kit and sandwich plate are the most expensive items.

The metal and bolts depends on where you fit it, but if you put it behind the grille like I did, you just need some metal which you can bend into shape and drill. I used those universal strips with pre-drilled holes and some M6 bolts/nuts.

As for differences, I noticed a good reduction in oil consumption and the oil takes longer to turn brown/black. No performance increase noticed but that wasn't the main objective.

Kev

Sounds a bit expensive. The installation kit (sandwich plate, hoses, brackets) is about £70 and the cooler (13 row) is about £65 = £135. What else is there?

Mmm yes, I've checked the site for prices and you seem to be right on a price of around £135. :?

It look's like I should be getting a 44 row cooler for that sort of price (excl. fittings) which I assume is unnecessary anyway.

I'll give Vince at Stealth another call in the morning to confirm what exactly has been ordered.

Cheers for pointing that out corradovr6sc :)