Sign in to follow this  
Riley

G60 tuning options :?:

ok,ive nearly finished my interior swap on the c,just a couple more things and something else to try with the dials :wink:

and then im thinking another set of rims....

but after that,what can,or should i be looking at to get a bit more poke out of it?

im thinking a lot of people will have similar work to me so maybe a useful thread?

my spec is:

full blend charger not long ago with 68mm pully and rsr outlet.

sns stage 5 chip.

heavily ported/polished throttle body with wedge removed.

snorkel removed from air box.

decat pipe on standard system (i like how it sounds now)

boost return deleted.

carbon can removed and fuel breather sat into air box.

any other little tricks? or if not,whats the next stage?

cheers,neil.

:)

Just a couple of ideas (as you know kinda new to the whole Corrado + G60)

440cc Injectors

3.5Bar FPR

Cam

Big valve ported head 8)

Usual crank/flywheel work

and a custom remap

that should give you a few more horses to play with

get thise injectors cleaned :crazyeyes: if not newish.

Also are you still runing stock intercooler

Yay to the custom remap as well

Riley,

Can't really help you on the tuning front...but I have a question for you (and anyone else for that matter).

How does the car sound with Cat removed?

Must admit my G60 sounds rather pathetic on the std exhaust, but I don't want to change the exhaust as it's a VW one & looks immaculate.

Cheers

mine didnt meow as much with the cat removed :lol: oh and neil get a catpult and put your charger in it and get a mans charger!!

ok,ive nearly finished my interior swap on the c,just a couple more things and something else to try with the dials :wink:

and then im thinking another set of rims....

but after that,what can,or should i be looking at to get a bit more poke out of it?

im thinking a lot of people will have similar work to me so maybe a useful thread?

my spec is:

full blend charger not long ago with 68mm pully and rsr outlet.

sns stage 5 chip.

heavily ported/polished throttle body with wedge removed.

snorkel removed from air box.

decat pipe on standard system (i like how it sounds now)

boost return deleted.

carbon can removed and fuel breather sat into air box.

any other little tricks? or if not,whats the next stage?

cheers,neil.

:)

it really does depend on what you want from the car??

there is probably an endless list of mods that can be applied...

Your best bet tho depending on budget is a flowed head and cam maybe??

The G60 golf intercooler upgrade is also a very worthwhile mod...

Riley,

Can't really help you on the tuning front...but I have a question for you (and anyone else for that matter).

How does the car sound with Cat removed?

Must admit my G60 sounds rather pathetic on the std exhaust, but I don't want to change the exhaust as it's a VW one & looks immaculate.

Cheers

My 60 has no CAT. Just passed its MOT also. YEEEEEHAAAAAA. Sounds the nuts with no CAT. No Meooows either. hahahahahhaha

No CAT test required so wickedly pleased.

get a bigger intercooler and change the exhaust. a stainless system will flow better than the original system.

bigger injectors will allow for more power but wont give you more on their own.

get a flowed head, that will make a nice difference.

bigger cam will also free up a bit more power.

all depends on how much you want to spend, how much power you want and how much effort you want to put in

cheers for the input so far 8)

and yep,i think they sound fantastic on the standard system with the cat removed,sort of zippy/throaty but not boomy or annoying 8)

rob_b,ive always thought the vw exhaust systems were pretty well designed to start with? does a system really offer much more? i know the exhaust side of things is a bit crap in the head but the system?

cheers for the idea's,i just cant get my head around what work needs which other work?

i suppose a better intercooler setup is ok on its own? or would a remap be needed ideally?

neil.

You'd see a benifit straight away without a map, but a map would bring more out.

I can't say what it would do for a normal G60, but a big valve head made a BIG difference to mine!

After my g-lader porting and pulley and filter and exhaust that was my next step a big valve head with 285 cam and it still made a very nice difference.

The power was not lost low down as i heard it would do and when 4k came it really went up a notch and gave a nice healthy kick in the backside all the way to the rev limit and still pulling.

cool 8)

good to hear peoples thoughts after having certain work done,keep em coming :D

hows about 2nd inlet on the charger? is it something i can be on with untill i start throwing more cash at it? or more importantly,worth it with the current spec?

i think it should be good as long as the intake is routed well for cold air?

neil.

Ever heard of swg motorsport?

The guy there is desiging an airbox for twin inlet chargers.

Picture's a bit pants, but you get the idea.

23042006139.jpg

Yep, As far as I know they're still finalising the design but they should be ready soon :)

that does look very smart 8) !

but personally i dont think there will be a massive advantage in using the original air box? i reckon it may help keep the actual charger more 'evenly cool' but not really get 'cooler' air through?

better having the induction coming from lower down/more direct i think?

neil.

that air box looks really cool! i would probably get one even if it didnt do much for extra power!

:lol: yeah,tempting!

will the rubber hose from the original inlet side also fit the other side? think it should do from memory?

neil.

That twin entry system looks the nuts, much better than a boost return IMO. Probably need to run a feed from the brake duct with that though and it's gonna be sucking like a goodun a WOT. Much more than the airbox box was designed for.

I'd say an exhaust and downpipe (or manifold). At the moment you're pushing a load of air in the front and it's all restricted when it comes out the back.

Also a FMIC is gonna be essential soon (then you'll need to sort the fuelling)

On my twin cone setup, i used a heat shield and a big duct from the removed foglight to the hole where the carbon canister used to be.

i found that boost was higher earlier in the rpm as the charger had more area to draw from therefore was more efficient. Made the car feel stronger in mid-range.

only thing i'd like to investigate with this airbox is that the charger will be drawing in air on both sides but from the same area downstream of the filter element. This could cause some turbulence issues in the airbox as both sides will be pulling air against each other. Will need to investigate to confirm my thoughts though.

440cc injectors. way too big for g60. red tops are only 305cc. grey injectors 325cc.. oh air box emm. get a black hose and plastic tubing. it'll lo ok oe.

440cc injectors. way too big for g60. red tops are only 305cc. grey injectors 325cc.. oh air box emm. get a black hose and plastic tubing. it'll lo ok oe.

Too big on small spec but needed still none the less on a big spec.

you need them on your spec. but on the g-lader. too big. you wont be able to use any off shelf chips. it''ll be custom only. adding to your co.st