CazzaVR

Cazza's Storm- Gone :( ...S3 Has Arrived! :)

Thanks Jim!

Haven't got an exact price at the mo guys- still haven't decided if I want the full rebuild or not. It's around £320 for the 3.68, bearings, seals etc, ARP bolts, labour. I'm thinking of getting the synchros etc replaced too for peace of mind, so that will put it up around £500 I should imagine. This doesn't include fitment- may do this myself.

Unfortunately, Martin (Hotgolf) is VERY busy, so won't be doing any more until the autumn. His work is by all accounts excellent though, so worth the wait. I'll tell him there's some interest when I drop it off.

Passed with no advisories 8) Really chuffed! CO2 was 0.02 though, which has doubled since last year :lol:

Just heard back from Mart- full rebuild is between £500-550. This includes everything including the 3.68.

Food for thought - seems a fair price. Does he source the 3.68 final drive for that price too? So basically you take him the gearbox and he gives it back rebuilt and upgraded?

Food for thought - seems a fair price. Does he source the 3.68 final drive for that price too? So basically you take him the gearbox and he gives it back rebuilt and upgraded?

Yep, exactly that. Think I got lucky in that he had one sitting on the shelf. I bought a Vento VR6 gearbox (for £40) for the rebuild, so I'll always have mine (which is good) as backup.

---------- Post added at 1:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:05 PM ----------

Dude not tempted by a Lsd and not the trippy sort.

Ben, It's tempting, but just don't have the money + don't think I could justify it.

Interesting :) Would be interested in a spin in yours when it's done mate to see the difference?

Sorry, who are you? ;)

Nice to have you back on the forum Michael! Hope all is well. Getting another Rado then?

He's in South Wales.

Went through the MOT with no advisories this morning. The emissions have doubled since last year though- now at 0.02%! 8)

Also pretty sure that the clicking I've been getting from the front is due to the front o/s hub/bearing.

Well, the box is complete! Picking it up tomorrow and will fit it with LewVW on Wednesday night- can't wait.

It needed new 1st, 2nd and 3rd synchros + a list of other stuff that I'll post later when I can be bothered to copy it out :lol: Gonna use Castrol Syntrans oil (used to be SMX-S), which I got from Halfords yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing the results Andy, Probably be quicker than mine now.

Already quicker! :lol:

Yeh, will be interesting to see the difference. Exactly what it needs (in theory), as the 12v VR is so lazy low down. Gonna go for one of Dave's short shifters as well to compliment the box 8)

Already quicker! :lol:

Yeh, will be interesting to see the difference. Exactly what it needs (in theory), as the 12v VR is so lazy low down. Gonna go for one of Dave's short shifters as well to compliment the box 8)

For the monent, enjoy it while is lasts ;)

One thing every one forgets are the gears. I need one of thos kits too!

Must do at some stage Jon- been too long, although I beleive it's your turn to come over to sunny Glos! ;)

Details of the build:

Complete strip down & clean of internals and exterior casings (cleaning tank). 3 synchros worn, but box very clean inside (obviously had some oil changes in the past). Magnet picked up some tiny bits of debris, but nothing to worry about.

All journals polished.

Output shaft bearings replaced.

All preloads to oem spec.

1st, 2nd and 3rd synchros replaced.

3.68 fitted with ARP diff bolts.

All seals replaced.

Will be going on the car tomorrow night with Castrol Syntrans oil, new gearbox mount, new clutch release bearing + fork. Can't wait!

Must do at some stage Jon- been too long, although I beleive it's your turn to come over to sunny Glos! ;)

you know when Prodigal and I helped do some bits to your car and you left us a crate to say thanks? Yeah, I never saw any of those..! Think you're right though, will be good to head over into the countryside :D

---------- Post added at 3:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:45 PM ----------

Sounds like that box will transform the car mate! Look forward to seeing it soon!

Ya kidding! Your bro is a greedy barsteward! :lol: I left you some valver bits as well as some Copperberg- did he take it all?