Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

Maltese crosses, whats the VW connection?

er, well as the title says, I was wondering the other day what the relivance of the maltese cross is on euro/ratty VW's. Its got a nice retro vibe to it, but there must be some other connection, anyone know?

here we go, on the roof...

PDR_0060.jpg

yeah I thought maybe there was a german connection of some sort, might have just answered my own question with the use of wikipedia though!

"A version of the Iron Cross is used to date by the German army (Bundeswehr) as its symbol and nationality marking and found on vehicles, aircraft and publications."

the Iron Cross being a derivative of the maltese cross, and what I've seen called a maltese cross is actually an iron cross.

its the insignia/markings of the German WW1 planes...........so i suppose thats the (weird n wonderful)connection.........the swastika might be a bit too extreme although tbh its more in keeping with the fact Herr Hitler and Herr Porsche really had the idea for the peoples car

Nostradamus "all fear Hister, he who follows the crooked Cross!!"

as said above, looks like the Iron Cross, german war thang

lol i have no idea but im sure its some kinda connection to the ww1 planes as rodders says, i have a west coast choppers sticker on the A6 which is a maltese cross also there seems to be lots of groups that like it!

it seems to be popular too with the chopper (no jokes please) fraternity, personally i hate it- makes me think about those who were injured/died in ww1.

to see it on t-shirts & the like seems repulsive.

it's just an easy way of idintifying all those sad sheep who've got on the retro bandwagon

but then again, the swastika was originally a holy symbol before the Nazis misappropriated it... unfortunately, no-one today knows of its correct symbolism...

both the Maltese Cross and the Iron Cross were originally symbols of Christian Knights, not fascist dictatorships, so...

Hmm, wonder if Germans dislike seeing people wearing Lambretta clothes (raf roundel is the logo), or seeing minis with the raf logo on them? After all the RAF did a lot of damage in WW2, especially to Dresden.

Hmm, wonder if Germans dislike seeing people wearing Lambretta clothes (raf roundel is the logo), or seeing minis with the raf logo on them? After all the RAF did a lot of damage in WW2, especially to Dresden.

yip we gave back a lot worse that what we got..............the whole of the Blitz wasn't even on a par with Dresden/Cologne etc

errr I read history books on WW2.......the german's didn't drop or have the planes to drop the same tonnage of bombs that the Allied forces had......didn't say i was there now did i

CoxyLaad said

well they started it lol

Exactly. And they would have ruled the world with a repressive, totalitarian state into genocide. Many of you guys on this forum and your parents would not have been around to see today if they had not been stopped.

$hit happens to the innocent in war but we should have no guilt complex about crushing Hitler and the Nazis, thank you.

Many of today's German people will possibly agree, too.

It's the emblem for rs-tuning.hu (I only know this because I REALLY liked the black teflon creation on the cleaned.be stand at UltimateDubs06 and followed it up a bit) - I suppose the Panzer connection is no less obvious than sticking the Confederate flag on the roof of the Robert E Lee in Dukes of Hazzard :roll:

CoxyLaad said

well they started it lol

Exactly. And they would have ruled the world with a repressive, totalitarian state into genocide. Many of you guys on this forum and your parents would not have been around to see today if they had not been stopped.

$hit happens to the innocent in war but we should have no guilt complex about crushing Hitler and the Nazis, thank you.

Many of today's German people will possibly agree, too.

i never said we should have a guilt complex about defeating nazism..........but the facts are,as much as we think the nazis bombed britain heavily it was a drop in the ocean compared to what the allied forces dropped over Germany.......just a fact pure and simple :wink:

vr6storm wrote

i never said we should have a guilt complex about defeating nazism.

Did I say, you did?