Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

VR6 engine left standing around

Hi

I've read something about this somewhere but can't bleedin find it, so......

Is it ok to leave a vr lump sitting around for a year or two? (dry).

Will any damage have been done by the lack of use?

Thanks

Will

I've still got an ABV '92 VR mill in bits that was sitting on a crate for 8+years,when i stripped the engine it was perfect inside just a lot of surface corrosion on the alloy bits and a rather rusty outside engine block,this engine has only done 29000km or 16000miles so the internals are spotless.

Same thing happened when i bought a 33000mile 2.0 16 valve corrado that had been in a lockup for 9 years,seats were mouldy and engine bay was furred up and full of cobwebs,both fuel pumps siezed etc but the inside of the engine was totally spotless,i added a G-charger last year and have been driving the car since with zero probs.

Should be fine doubles mate as he /\ has found.

Personally I would cake the outside of the block with WD40 and pour oil in the bores (down the plug holes) and cams and maybe crank it over by hand and reoil every month or so. I wouldn't wrap it as that might cause condensation problems.

Just leave it, it'll be happy i'm sure but you will disperse what oily protection there is on the outside by spraying it with WD40 as it breaks down oil particles but is a good dielectric isolator so it shouldn't get hit by lightening :lol:

Chris

Someone selling an engine on 'the gay' but its been standing for over a year mate.

I'm sure I've seen the same pic on the bay recently but can't be totally sure. I'm a bit paranoid with engines at the mo!

I've seen that. Sounds like a good deal as he will refund the money if the engine doesn't run but it would be a lot of work having to install and then remove it again.

He says it's from an N reg VR6 Corrado, but yet it's coil packed???? Sounds odd to me...

Dutch

why does that sound odd? :? my L reg is coilpack

N is '95/6 isn't it? I can't remember anymore but if so it shouldn't be coil packed that's all.

Dutch

im getting confused now,why shouldnt it be coilpacked?and back to the question..the engine that ive now got in my car came out of a smashed up storm with just under 35k on the clock,and it was stood for 5 years,and the engine is fine

err, sorry for all the confusion lads.

I read the advert late after returning from the coffeeshop and mis-read what he said. I thought he said it was a dizzy one, which is why it would be confusing, instead I just confused myself :oops: :oops: :)

Dutch