Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

So Much Better

Just picked the car up from PSI and it's soooo much better now.

Among other things (ABS etc) he'd replaced the temp sensor, sorted out the idle control valve???? Cleaned the throttle body and breather pipes and also the sparks.

Wasn't bad before but very smooth now.

One thing I'd like to know though, before it idled at around 750-800rpm, which I thought was normal. Now it sits (when up to temp) at 250-200 rpm and idles beautifully! Are most VR's this low?

Ah, worth every penny! :)

No!! 680rpm is what they're supposed to idle at when hot and 1050 when cold. I can't believe you're finding 200-250rpm to be smooth! It's on the verge of cutting out chap!

Cheers for the positive feedback of PSI though, always good to hear of decent tuners' work.

ok, think I'm a bit of a dunce here, just took a pic and think I've read it wrong? Can you tell what I did yet!

I'd say your rev counter is off then chap because 250rpm is lumpy as hell.

EDIT - just seen your pic, yep, that is about 650 rpm. Stick the MFA in diag mode and use the digital rpm counter to confirm. I think you hold in the reset button, turn the ignition on, turn it off, turn it on again and then you can scroll through a number of readouts. One of them is the real time digital rpm.

No you're reading that wrong, that is showing 650 ish rpm. The thick line below the needle is 500 rpm.

The beast is being broken when the tax is up! Onto the MK3 GTI 16v!

Still blue smoking but only on overrun occasionally, not really a prob, but due to the fact that it's not 100% perfect (even though it feels it) I guess the only thing to do is get an engine conversion! :)