Sign in to follow this  
J50DUB

1.8 16v runninig temp

Hi all

what tempreature does the 1.8 16v run at usaully mines overheating soemtimes going too 110 degrees in traffic if i take her down the dual carrige way she will sit at 80 degrees

the fan doesnt work either

any ideas

thankyou

My 1.8 16v runs at about the same temperatures. I've never heard the fan cut in when the engines running, but it cuts in about 30 secs after parking up when its warm.

Change the rad fan switch?

Hi

im sorry for my stupidity but how do i do this and is it a difficult job???

thankyou

james

Seems a bit high to me!

Mine runs at 80'ish while driving and about 90 something if sitting in traffic for a while in this weather.

The rad fan switch just unscrews from teh bottom battery side of the rad. easy job and pretty cheap.

my 2.0 16v runs at about 102 degrees most of the time and goes up to 112 in traffic is this normal

Yeah, but his fan should be coming on regardless?

im sorry for my stupidity but how do i do this and is it a difficult job???

No worries mate, i'm no technical expert either :)

Have a search on here, the rad fan switch is pretty easy to swap - I managed it myself :) - It's situated in the rad itself

Is the fan switch the bolt in sensor at the bottom corner of the rad (battery side)? I swapped this over from my old radiator to the new one, easy to do, give the thread a smear of Hylomar before putting it in and you'll need fresh coolant too.

It's not 'overheating' if it's getting to 110deg then cooling down , but maybe the first stage of the fan doesn't work? - J50DUB , you say the fan doesn't work - does it not come on at all? If so I assume it can either be a problem with the fan switch, the wiring, or the fan itself?

I've never been a fan of cars that run that hot - my 8v sits at around 100deg then rises to 110deg in traffic etc , same as my old ABP G60 did - but the nugget g60 sits at around 80deg-90deg and never rises above 100deg - My first 8v was the same as that, aswell as my black G60 . There must be some reason, i'm not sure if it could be down to the coolant mix or something?

While we're at it, why is it that the water temp varies so much on older cars where on newer cars it stays rock solid ?

Even my Mk3 Golf got up to 90deg from cold and then didn't ever budge

my vavler runs hot too..... i'v flushed the coolant system and replaced the rad switch about a month ago. it doesnt turn the fan on anymore.

What would cause the radiator switch to fail?

I'm gonna be replacing that this weekend (again) My oil temps rose to 122 while sitting in traffic today, then back down to 110 on the dual carriage way.

I think I have corradoparanoia thinking that 110 is to high but when reading on here people having running temps of 80-90..... i think to myself my readings cant be right.

Im also gonna be replacing the expansion tank for another one because there might be a leak. I can see some sort of residue on one side of the tank and along the wall of the engine bay.

mine is usually around 75-85 in winter on motorway/duals then 90 ish in traffic in hot weather about 85-96 on motorways then no higher than 102 in traffic, thats oil temp coolant is never more than 90 in any weather.

my rado normaly runs at about 90 - 100 when driving normaly but when in traffic she will rise to around 110 :onfire: and then the fans kick in and drop down to 90 again , i do sit in a lot of traffic and was concerned about it getting to 110 so i have wired up the fans to a switch on dash so when in traffic you can filck the switch on and it stays at 90 all day and then i dont worry about the little bugger getting hot :D

Put into the search: VW watercooled - Corrado - then its under the switches, sender, instruments category.

I think its listed as the radiator thermo switch, £5.25 :thumb right:

I think the idea behind the 2 types is low temp for summer use and high temp for winter - to prevent over-heating in summer and over-cooling in winter. I'd stick a high temp one in that should be fine all round.

went too gsf got a switch only too find its the wrong the one on my rad is 3 pin the one i was sold has 2!!!! soo im pretty gutted my dad said that it might have the wrong radiator in it as it had it repalced ome time last year??

There's another one listed on the GSF site:

93478 RADIATOR THERMO SWITCH CO >7/93 3 Pin with Cover £7.95

The other ones said General vw, so must be different from the C, that on above sounds right from your description. Just take it back and swap it. Stoopid GSF website should be more clear.

The 1.8 16vs all have 3 pin plugs, so it is the right rad. Where did you get the new radiator from btw and how much was she?

AVS do the three pin swithes for £6...and they even give you a nice big photo of what you are buying to compare to your old one!

Clicky!

THATS THE ONE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

only had the car for a week the radiator was already on her!

cheers

james

Hi

got the switch fitted it and now we have a fan! :D

the water tempreture hovers just below and on 100'c which sounds ok doesnt it??

oil tempreture hasnt gone over 98' sits at 95/6

but oil light flashes occasionally sometimes for a minute or so then maybe just one flash and beep! if i rev the engine it stops it!!

the oilk level is fine too anyone have any ideas?

thanks for your help guys 8)

If its done many miles, it is worth removing and cleaning the oil pump pick up strainer. At 160,000 miles mine was around 50% blocked. My engine is spottless inside and has a well documented history, no expense was spared by it's previous owners.

By clearing this I got around 1Bar extra oil pressure at idle.

If your oil light is coming on, plus the buzzer it sounds like you have low oil pressure, so its well worth looking into a bit more. Ideally put a pressure gauge on the engine to check the pressure. It could also just be a dodgy sender, but better to be safe than sorry.

Coincedently a mate has just ran his Mk2 GTI with the oil light and buzzer on, now it sounds like someone emptied their tool box into the engine. - Not good.

sh*t not happy loks like i was sold a shed!

ffs

engine has done 109'000 miles

my car does sound a little noisy ie slight ticking thought nothing of it bugger

where is the oil pump pick up strainer is it a big job?

thanks

james