Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Nothing especially exciting to add...

Powerflow backbox decided to just fall off on the car the other night after I took it out for a drive. It's currently only hanging on by the two rubber hangers - think I best remove it entirely before I set off in case it detatches fully whilst I'm trundling down the M40!! Seems like the ideal time to get my Magnex backbox on... so I've booked in to go visit DG on Saturday morning to get that fitted and to have an hour or so poking around to find what it is that is buzzing / vibrating on the exhaust at certain revs.

Oh - and I finally got a chrome type Corrado logo for the car :) Was a slightly eye watering £22 from eBay but looks to be in good condition... not sure whether to do a Supercharged and put it away for a rainy day, or just fit it ;)

did you get the topic i posted? should have pm'd in heinsight!!

Nothing especially exciting to add...

Powerflow backbox decided to just fall off on the car the other night after I took it out for a drive. It's currently only hanging on by the two rubber hangers - think I best remove it entirely before I set off in case it detatches fully whilst I'm trundling down the M40!! Seems like the ideal time to get my Magnex backbox on... so I've booked in to go visit DG on Saturday morning to get that fitted and to have an hour or so poking around to find what it is that is buzzing / vibrating on the exhaust at certain revs.

Oh - and I finally got a chrome type Corrado logo for the car :) Was a slightly eye watering £22 from eBay but looks to be in good condition... not sure whether to do a Supercharged and put it away for a rainy day, or just fit it ;)

Get hold of another one, then fit it ;)

and to have an hour or so poking around to find what it is that is buzzing / vibrating on the exhaust at certain revs.

Mine does that usaly around the 2 - 2.5K range I think its the heat shield around the zorst where it goes over the rear beam, might be worth checking that.

I've had the car on the ramps so many times over the last few years checking heatshields and stuff... the one on the cat has been welded, welded again, then the bottom half removed as it just refused to stay in place. The rear shield I think is in good shape... I reckon the buzzing might well have been clamps coming loose on the backbox, given that it's now just dropped off!! :)

£22 ain't bad mate, they we're around that new when you could buy them! (The primered ones are £12)

Be interesting to see if the Magnex will fit to the existing system easily or not - If now I know Eric has a good Powerflow dealer he uses...

I would get some of those heavy duty hangers from VAG to go on and also a load of headshield clips, if the sheild has rotted at all the you can fix by using a large washer of some sort.

Got the heavy duty hangers on order with Graham mate.. I tried to order them through my nearest Listers (in Leamington) and after a week of silence they called me and said I had to go to Listers commercial group to order as they were hangers from a VW Van!!

Graham reckons he'll be able to get them from TPS no probs tho :)

Magnex backbox fitted... but.....

Not all plain sailing alas. The Powerflow item that was on it previously was attached in some interesting ways. The net result of this was that the factory hanger brackets at the rear had been removed at some point in the cars life, and I didn't have the Magnex hanger bracket with the 2nd hand backbox I bought :( Graham @ DG had a bit of a think and had a damn good go at fashioning a DIY bracket - all looked peachy and I set off home but unfortunately the heat generated on the drive back has shifted the system a bit and the backbox isn't sitting in the right place now. I had a go at loosening off the DIY bracket today and trying to adjust but it's just one of those stupid fiddly places to work on, especially in the cold, so after about five minutes of not getting anywhere I threw my teddies out of the pram and gave up.

Needs more adjustment - will either try get back to DG or get the car somewhere I can get it jacked up and get some axle stands under it so I have a bit of room to work on it and hit it with a hammer a bit ;)

On the plus side the Magnex backbox sounds quieter but nicer at full chat!

Jim, drop daves16v a pm- he made me a rear Magnex bracket a couple of years ago, that was better quality than the Magnex part!

Ah! Will see if he still makes em :) Thanks for the info mate!

Yeah - no fitment issues with the right bracket - notice it's 90 degrees from the normal VW ones to allow for the heat expansion of stainless steel.

I would buy the VW hangers you need too to keep it OE - recently bought new ones for mine and they weren't much.

The main thing about Magnex apart from the look and fit is that they last - most other stainless steel exhausts start to rust after 7-8 years

Thought it was worth updating. A few changes coming to the stable soon...

Firstly.. sadly the Mercedes daily is not long for this world. An ever increasing number of bad things have been happening with it, culminating a few weeks back with a horrendous snapping / twang noise coming from the back when I'd loaded it up with a huge load of turf.. I think I snapped another coil in the suspension as now it makes funny noises from the back when driving around. So, reluctantly, I've decided to use it in scrappage scheme to help my partner get a discount on a new car. I know I've been quite strongly opinionated about how schitt the scrappage scheme is but - the car is 19 years old, has some expensive issues which need fixing and I need to sell it anyway soon.. so scrappage makes the most sense at this time. I've grown strangely attached to the old tank - it's so comfortable and so solid, it's really been a delight to drive for the last year. And the fact that it was my old mans car for about 9 years prior to me owning it has left me feeling truely gutted about sending it off to the big crusher :( Would love to own a more powerful W124 estate again in the future - but one with a bit more poke!

On the (very, very) positive side..... VR6 ownership is happening soon. Very soon. I'm off to pick up my VR6 from Pat_McCrotch on the 2nd of April. Even better, because the Merc is going, and because I've saved like fury, my 16v doesn't need to be sold to help fund the purchase and I'll be keeping that too.. so I'll be rocking two Corrado's :clap:

Neil has put thousands of pounds worth of parts into the VR6 and, between him and Mr Haywire, they've put in hundreds of hours work doing just about every last bit of maintenance possible to the car - so I can literally just jump in it and enjoy it. So I'm eternally thankful to Neil for getting in touch with me to give me the first chance to buy the car off him which has had so much time and money put into it. Sorry you've got to sell it Neil but I promise it's going to a good home!

I will of course keep the thread updated as and when I get the car, and get lots of pictures up :)

Sounds good Jim and even better news about have two C''s :D

With regards to the scrappage I think in this case it is a justified reason and not just to get money off a new car 8)

heard the good news about which one it was the other day Jim, great to get one you really know the background of!

good stuff jim look forward to reading about your VR and really i thought this is what the scrappage thing was about old motors

that were too costly to repair :wave:

Nice one mate, and you'll have a full 4 days off work to hoon around in it! :wink:

Followed Pat_McCrotch's thread here and there and looks like a good buy.........seem to recall him changing quite a lot of stuff on it - good for you !!

Be careful, after 6 months once you get use to the VR you will start to read the turbo/supercharger thread with a little more intent than before :norty:

Good luck with it :)

To be honest, even after 3 years with the 16v, I don't find myself wanting more power. Well, I do like the thought of more power but I certainly don't crave it. With another 50/60BHP in the VR6, I think I'll be happy again for another few years :)