Sign in to follow this  
tom br

1.8t corrado conversion

thinking of a 1.8t conversion for my rado. anyone done this and got any advice? or know the best place to get it done?

theres a bloke called delta on the pvw forum that does conversions for about £400 as long you get all the stuff he needs

£400! Bargain, someone mentioned a 20VT engine with everything you need for a conversion going for a grand as well, so for roughly £1400 you can have a 20VT? Hmm, decisions decisions....

What decisions????

Choice of three things at the moment, I really like the idea of turbo'ing the 16v, but then I also love the sound of the VR and have been considering selling the 16v and buying one, and now I find out 20vt conversions aren't that expensive...

Anyway something's definately going to happen, just haven't decided what yet, and I'm not in any real hurry at the moment (so don't watch this space :wink: )

Mines a 20Vt running DTA management, it's defo the way to go. Give me turbo whistle everyday ;) VR's just seem far to standard and boring, the 16v turbo is also more expensive to do than the 20v!!

Hmmm, don't think I'd ever describe a VR as boring. I'd have the VR noise over the 20VT noise every day of the week. Prefer the power delivery too. That said, I do like the 20VT and would defo consider dropping one into my C in the next couple of years. Either that or a 24v V6...

think it definately comes down to preference, i like turbo whistle and wastgate flutter, and i think boring was the wrong choice of words, i think itsjust because VW built the VR as standard. Has anyone on here got the R32 conversion done yet, i'm thinking of keeping the corrado as company demo vehicle and doing another with the 3.2 in it?? any thoughts on that?

Yep, R32 Corrado has been done by Coxylaad & PhatVR6 and Stan and Jay Renshaw have done the 2.8 24v conversion.

I'd rather go 2.0 FSI turbo than 1.8T any day.... a much better engine. But then again, the current R32 wipes the floor with it. it's an animal.

If you want a real flyer Try a 2.1 20v turbo like myself who cares about noise when you got 400 wheel horse power to play with and less lag than a ko4.. paahh

Its always dilemmas though i really wanted to go four wheel drive on mine but ran out of money at the time think i need to come to some forum meets and see what kind of things have been done, when i did 20v two yrs ago it wasn't being done half as much but as always times change and things get better oh well 211 BHP @ 0.7 bar is a good figure out of mine considering its only got K04 and DTA.... oh and straight through 2.5" from 3" downpipe are there any other things i can do (at the mo needs to be cheap) to boost figure apart from winding up the boost?? bearing in mind my Gearbox is 16v and running no fandangled diff ;)

If you want a real flyer Try a 2.1 20v turbo like myself who cares about noise when you got 400 wheel horse power to play with and less lag than a ko4.. paahh

dont need a 2.1 to make 400 wheel horse power i'got a 1.8 20 valve turbo in my corrado making 398bhp on the wheel on 1.6bar

Am I being boring having one of each?

OK so my 20V Turbo is still in it's S3, and it's staying there with it's 4x4 too :D

20vt noise... boring? Yes the engine doesn't have the nice VR induction noise but anyone heard my car screetch for traction going up the road? huh? lol ;-)

20vt noise... boring? Yes the engine doesn't have the nice VR induction noise but anyone heard my car screetch for traction going up the road? huh? lol ;-)

they are but they do make the power

Yep, R32 Corrado has been done by Coxylaad & PhatVR6 and Stan and Jay Renshaw have done the 2.8 24v conversion.

I'd rather go 2.0 FSI turbo than 1.8T any day.... a much better engine. But then again, the current R32 wipes the floor with it. it's an animal.

a much better engine?? how.. why..? explain :)

Bloody ell, holy "dig up crusty old 4 month old post batman".....

More capacity, quieter, smoother, fatter torque band, more character, better management and it doesn't melt piston 3 if the MAF is running out of range.....imo. It's not illegal for a man to prefer one engine to another you know :-)

I am very suprised how much stick the 1.8T engine gets having owned a variety of VWs finest and running a very powerful g60 engine for a few years I have to say the 1.8T engine is a fine engine. admitidley probably not the best person to discuss this at the moment considering the problems i am having with the current motor, but in terms of drivability and power the 1.8T is without doubt the best i have so far owned. I do wonder with the 2 litre engine and its direct injection and higher compression whether this engine will be capable of the power that the 1.8T can deliver almost out of the box.

sorry to go on here but I am a bit pissed with people saying you could have a more original conversion and that teh engine has no soul, I feel its just people jumping on the bandwagon I mean I know they are not without there faults but no engine are, i mean I have detroyed three 020 Gearboxes, shattered big ends on a 16v, killed two different types of supercharger and had the bottom bolt fail on a g60 its just part an parcel of owning high powered cars.