Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

why cant I select go in basic settings?

Im trying to carry out BS on my vr6 but every time a go into Engine 04 and select 001 the GO button de highlights not allowing me to proceed!

Does anyone know what is going on here?

What version of VAG-COM? Check the idle valve in output tests. Check the throttle pot and damper adjustment by going into measuring blocks 003 where block 3 should show a value between 9 and 19 degrees. Are there any fault codes stored? Post a screen grab of measuring blocks 001.

This might sound stupid, but you do need to have the engine running to reset the basic settings...

There's a pdf that Mr. Gaskell wrote on this floating about somewhere.

Essentially the Basic Settings procedure should be done every time the battery has been disconnected.

You plug the engine into VAG-COM, start the engine and let it warm up fully.

You then go into Basic Settings, click Go, give the throttle a gentle blip then let it idle for 2+mins.

While the engine is idling, VAG-COM takes readings from all the sensors and tweaks the fuelling/throttle position sensor to make sure it knows exactly where everything is.

It doesn't seem to make much of a difference on some cars and a noticable difference in initial throttle response on others.

the GO button de highlights not allowing me to proceed!

Sounds like your copy of VAG-COM is not registered! BS only available on registered copies of the software.

ECU has no infleuence on what you describe.

Check the throttle pot and damper adjustment by going into measuring blocks 003 where block 3 should show a value between 9 and 19 degrees.

Throttle position sensor should be

Copied and pasted directly from ELSA, the VW workshop manual!

"Throttle valve angle at idling stop

Specification: 9...19

Now tell me VW are wrong...

Out of interest, would my 24v need doing if the battery were to run flat? It did a while ago. Also, its been chipped with Custom-Code, in case it makes a difference :?

Copied and pasted directly from ELSA, the VW workshop manual!

"Throttle valve angle at idling stop

Specification: 9...19

Now tell me VW are wrong...

I don't give a fcuk what ELSA says because that's what happened on my engine when I tried it.

Temper temper! :shock: If you are going to be abusive and use faintly disguised obscene language, I will drop out of this, you are a moderator after all and are supposed to set an example :oops: . I understand that is what can happen on one car, but it is not definitive, my experience has been different to yours after working on countless VR6’s since the early 90’s. Common sense would dictate that you aim for a figure between the two extremes, say 15 degrees as I have found that if the figure drops below 12 degrees the car stumbles off idle, but it is also worth bearing in mind another VAG quote on the subject, “If throttle valve basic setting stop screw has been altered, renew throttle valve housing”.

Moderator or not, you can't expect me to not react to abrupt and condascending comments like "Now tell me VW are wrong....." like I'm some kind of moron that knows nothing about engines. But I think we can move on from that now ;-)

I too have owned and worked on a number of VWs from 1990 and learn from practical experience also.

Agreed, there are variances in throttle pot behaviour and they're not that accurate either. So long as the ECU sees around 15 degs at idle and what it thinks is 90 at full whack, the engine is moderately happy with what happens in between....unless the carbon tracks are worn through..... I had to drill and elongate the holes on one throttle pot as it just wouldn't sit any lower than 20 deg at idle.....at which point the engine thought it was supposed to be driving the injectors and the idle was all over the place.....but you live and learn.

Anyway, after you to have put your handbags down :lol:

can you answer my question please? Does mine need a basic doing? Or does it sort itself out?

I'm strictly a "man bag" kind of guy ;-)

Yes OBD2 is much better at 'sorting itself out' than OBD1 mate. You can run adaptation on the DBW throttle if you've disconnected the battery, but it calibrates itself every time you turn the igntion on, so there's not much point tbh.

Sorry to be slow replying, I was picking my toys up :2gunfire: . I only carry a hand bag at the weekend, never during the week, it was expensive and I don't want to get oil on it :norty: .

I adapt the later throttle bodies in basic adjustment (04), group 098. Forgive the cut and paste, it’s just quicker, VW's view is,

"Matching teaches the engine control unit (with ignition switched on and engine not running) the throttle valve control part stop positions and a comparison graph between throttle valve potentiometer and throttle valve positioner sender.

Matching sequence must be performed on vehicles after 08.95 if:

◆ The voltage supply is interrupted

◆ The throttle valve control unit is removed and installed

◆ The throttle valve control unit is renewed

◆ If when installing another engine another throttle valve control unit is installed"

matching the throttle to the ECU... ie setting it up.... ;)

Or as RW1 says, it's "Harmonising" the sensor to the ECU...... in other words, it needs to 'learn' the throttle angle range in order to carry out it's fuelling job correctly...... but the thing with DBW, it's constantly changing throttle angle under it's own doing and tends to work it out for itself, especially on engines with "sport" settings that flip the throttle open much faster and to a wider opening than the normal mode.....

So in a nutshell....if she idles and drives OK, don't get overly concerned with BS.....it's not something VW would expect their customers to do every time the battery is pulled.....so they build a lot of contingency into the ECUs.