Sign in to follow this  
rixy

is the 2.8 bottom end same as 2.9 other than piston size?

reason 4 asking is coz my 2.9 bottom end is knackered and im thinkin of runnin a 2,8 bottom end until i rebuild mine, will this be ok? could even bore the 2.8 out and use my pistions in it if they r that simillar?

They are the same but re-boring to 2.9 is not worth the money involved. A new 2.9 block with pistons from VW isn't daft money and even a full exchange unit is less than 3K.

stan24v, yeah, im still interested, but this block is mine for free dude! will wait to see what state my block is in before i let u know stan, this bottom end is just to get me drivin again, as the car is slow as buggery now, has no revs, doesnt pull, and blows oil alot!

They are the same but re-boring to 2.9 is not worth the money involved. A new 2.9 block with pistons from VW isn't daft money and even a full exchange unit is less than 3K.

but if he uses his 82mm pistons the rebore will only cost £100?

£100 seems cheap for a rebore..... you need a machine shop that has a good tiltable milling bed to bore at 15 degrees. Last time I checked, there weren't that many that could do it, but those that could wanted around £25-£30 per bore. You can hone it yourself at home though....

Providing the pistons aren't worn (and I bet there are visible skirt scoring marks) then all you need is new rings and shells, but personally I'd use a new piston/ring set everytime.

Would be interested in seeing how much a new 2.9 engine block from VW is! I bet it's more than 2k!

£2244.23 inc. VAT for a block with pistons or £2753.85 inc VAT for a full engine (although it has to be modified BEFORE installation). That’s changed a lot since last time I looked, the block option would be stupid now.

2250 for a block and pistons! Seems I actually got a bargain and have so far avoided getting ripped off then! Happy with that :)

Yeah that is cheap actually, or, 'reasonable' should I say as it's still a lot of money for an engine that went end of life 10 years ago.

£100 is a good price Stan...... my local place (Scholar Race engines) wanted the aforementioned amounts.....but they are seriously hardcore machinists though, so is to be expected I guess.

Yes, that is a full engine, exchange, but the one I have just fitted looked absolutely brand new. The only downside was the upper cam chain cover is for a very late Golf 3 VR6 Syncro and so the cam position sender location and sender wheel are wrong and must be changed (to your old parts) before fitting the engine.

well thats what i was thinking, use my 82mm pistons and re bore the block, then just throw them in. new shells, and poke the bottom end on my head etc, and stick her back in the car!

Then, when i get the chance,im still going to bore my block out to a 3.1 and get some huge ass 93mm pistons and rings etc, then when all thats done, swap the 3.1 bottom end into my car, and sell the 2.9 block etc to my mate with his mk3 golf vr, which is still only a 2.8!

I can do all the rebuild work myself, along with my aforementioned mates help, and i know of a machine shop willing to do the rebore for about 20 quid a bore.

Im not really sure what happened to the engine in the 1st place, started smelling a bit of oil, then i noticed blue/black smoke out ouf exhaust and smothering everyone else behind me when it revved under load.

then it started smelling badly of oil inside when i revved it and used to give me a headache etc. And now it just stinks badly of iol in the car, out of the car and whatever on tickover constantly, and on every other rev it just gets worse!

I've had a full head rebuild, thinkin maybe it was stem seals, the seals were shot to bits, but it hasnt cured the problem, its still getiing worse, so im thinking its either ovalling of the bores, or the rings r shot to bits!

some huge ass 93mm pistons and rings etc

Them's some HUGE pistons... ;) :lol:

think you may mean 83mm... ;)

thats the one, lol what a plonker, would love some 93's he he think i might need some inserts though, lol

I also want to 'offset grind the doo da' but haven't got a clue what it actually means!

If you find anyone to do it / a price can you let me know please mate?

Buy some oversized pistons from the states 3.1 and bore out your existing block? $700 for pistons $300 shipping and customs(robbing Bas*ards) Rebore for £180

Around £800 and it will fly.....

Don't take this the wrong way (I don't want telling off again) but does that £800 include oil pump, a full engine gasket set, head bolts, con rod nuts and bolts, bearings (including the intermediate shaft bearings, fitted), valve guides (fitted), head re-face, valve seat re-face, lifters, cam chains, tensioner, all four chain sliders, valve oil seals, inner and outer valve springs, new inlet and exhaust valves, de-grease, paint and a full Europe wide labour included guarantee, no matter who fitted it?:wink:

I also want to 'offset grind the doo da' but haven't got a clue what it actually means!

If you find anyone to do it / a price can you let me know please mate?

Ive emailed PSI about that, to see if he can get mine done for you ;)

You may want to call in at Andy's on the way up on saturday? Its only 5 mins off the M6, and you can pick my block up while youre there ;)

83mm is pushing it imo..... yeah it'll work but with forged pistons, it won't last much more than 60,000 miles.

Personally speaking and not wanting to poop the party.... I don't think it's worth the expense and hassle for the net gains.

If you want capacity, R32 it.

If you want lots of grunt and a strong, long lasting motor.......supercharge a 2.8 12V.

Just my tuppence