Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

My Sat Nav Install!

so when you put the phone down do you get the bitch nagging at you that you should have turned left ages ago but no you wouldnt listen would you, you were talking on the phone and ignoring me etc etc.

:lol: :lol:

This is an interesting thread...

A couple of days ago i assembled a GPS system on my friend´s Seat Ibiza.

You can find these on Seat Leon and many VW´s.

It quite easy to wire.

I wonder if anyone has ever seen one of these on a Corrado?

They look so nice...

I wonder if there is enough space to place it...

Been thinking about doing that in the Passat, as you can also get the instructions displayed in the MFA display.

picture.JPG

You can pick up those headunits for about £300-400 on ebay.

Or a little bit more for the new version as fitted in the Mk6 Passat and Mk5 Golf.

Oh my god!!!

That´s exactly what i´m looking for!

Looks so nice!

What´s involved fitting it on the Corrado???

The actual headunit is 'just' a double-din headunit.

You might need to jiggle your dash about a bit, but as Phil's pic shows, if you loose the cubby and move the air controls down it should fit fine.

As for the MFA, you'd need Mk4 Golf / Mk5 Passat clocks installed.... It would be easier to install a Mk4 Golf engine and use the clocks than retro-fit them to a Corrado engine ;)

Then it's just a cable that goes from the back of the headunit to the speedo cluster.

Phil´s mod looks sweet!

I might go for it!

I never thought that the unit dimensions would fit so good in a Corrado! :)

Phil hasn't done that to his car... it's just a pic ;)

But yes, certainly doable!

Yeah not on my car... nice idea though and looks factory enough 8)

Think I got that pic off the Vortex...

keep watching folks....

7" TFT touch screen and Dell P4 1.8GHz laptop (with broken screen!) all setup and ready to assemble into my car now... just gotta get another center console to modify to fit 'em all into... 8)

Henny.. how are you sorting the power issues for the laptop ??? Getting it to boot when the car comes on and things like that ?

I have a spare laptop sitting about and was thinking about doing the same thing exactly. I even have a spare dash incase of real problems ;)

got myself a genuine Dell 12V power supply for it which I'm going to use on a switched live (taken from the same circuit as the windows ;) ). That'll power the lappy when the car's in use. The laptop also has 2 batteries in it (now!) which will power it for upto 6 hours use (with screen, so about 9 hours without it... ;) ) and has powersaving enabled so that when the power supply from the car switches off, the laptop hybernates after 10 minutes to save power...

Laptop will never need to reboot unless I tell it to. It's got an 802.11G card in it, GPS dongle, 40GB HDD, and will probably have a tom-tom emulator too... ;)

I just need to get hold of a center console to build in my 7.5" screen...

Not bad really considering the whole package so far has cost me £150! :lol:

So let me get this straight.... to fit the "new" style GPS system i would need a Mk4 engine as well?? Or is that just to get the head up dial on the MFA display?

Ads

So let me get this straight.... to fit the "new" style GPS system i would need a Mk4 engine as well?? Or is that just to get the head up dial on the MFA display?

Ads

If you wanna just fit the double-din unit, that'll go in any car..

If you want the head-up display, you'd need a Mk4 engine, or more importantly, a Mk4 ECU and clocks to make your life a lot easier..

Ads

If you wanna just fit the double-din unit, that'll go in any car..

If you want the head-up display, you'd need a Mk4 engine, or more importantly, a Mk4 ECU and clocks to make your life a lot easier..

Do tell more!!! Ive got the engine, but not the clocks. Would it just plug straight in to the clocks if I obtained some?

Stan 24v, the clocks won't work without the ECU AFAIK - so depends if you're using a hacked Mk4 ECU or some custom jobbie.

But essentially the head up display is triggered by a suitable cable which connects between the head unit and the clocks.

Henny, sorry mate. Had a look last night, not in my stash of random parts. I think I chucked it out as I bought a damaged one to test installing my VDO's a while back.

ardandy, ;) sorry!

Do you have the link for the thread off the Vortex forum??

Do you have the link for the thread off the Vortex forum??

I think it's This one mate