Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Mate's new ride......not fair !

My mate has had a few nice cars over the past few years, since I have known him he's had a modded Corrado G60, a 285 BHP Toyota MR2 turbo and just sold his e36 M3 last week.

Then he showed up tonight in his new ride.........2001 Porsche Boxster S in Arctic Silver with lux pack, rare 6-speed manual box, Porsche Stability Management, red nappa leather, xenon's, heated leccy seats, climate control, 18" turbo alloys, upgraded Porsche audio with CD changer, surround sound and sound processor, all for £17.5k, well below book price. Stunning car, so smooth and notes large, love it, check out the pics below

DSC05728.jpg

DSC05732.jpg

DSC05731.jpg

DSC05734.jpg

Sweet huh, quite jealous really !

Cheers

that Munkay's new ride per chance???

nice car at any rate...........I hope he's got a Porsche warranty on it tho

OPC warranty i hope.................as no other warranty company seemingly will cover the RMS on the 986/996 water-cooled engine

and FWIW the Boxster S came with a 6-speed manual as standard :wink:

Apparently it depends on the warranty whether the RMS (rear main seals around the crank bearing failing due to defect in centre-line boring the block) is covered. And the fact it's done 67k with FPSH should hopefully mean that all little niggles and potential major faults will have been rectified by now (RMS issue is MOST common as you will know at low miles). But I'm sure Munkay will have taken this into account before purchasing as he spends alot of time researching his cars before buying and getting pre-purchase inspection done etc.

And yes, I know it came as standard with 6-spd manual box but 80% of the ones he saw for sale had the auto tiptronic transmission.

Roddy was a litho printer until a wee while ago AFAIK, not sure what he does now TBH.

Just that you seemed to be knowledgable to a fine degree about the warranty thing, i was quite impressed.

Oh, and stop being so defensive :wink:

Chris

Apparently it depends on the warranty whether the RMS (rear main seals around the crank bearing failing due to defect in centre-line boring the block) is covered. And the fact it's done 67k with FPSH should hopefully mean that all little niggles and potential major faults will have been rectified by now (RMS issue is MOST common as you will know at low miles). But I'm sure Munkay will have taken this into account before purchasing as he spends alot of time researching his cars before buying and getting pre-purchase inspection done etc.

they can go at all sorts of miles btw..............there's no hard and fast rule for them going in low milers over higher mile 986/996's,and even with FPSH they can still go.......its quite shocking tbh that a company like Porsche have this sort of problem,which funnily enough according to them only affects a small percentage of the water-cooled lumps.......IIRC Porsche are on their 5th or more design of seal for the RMS,even more worrying than the RMS problem tho is this lovely problem that can and does occur more than Porsche would like to admit.

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/new.php3/silsleeve.html

then again its probably down to Porsche cutting costs over the years,seemingly the air-cooled engines took approx 7hours to make,whereas the M96 water-cooled lumps only take approx 1hour to do.

Roddy was a litho printer until a wee while ago AFAIK, not sure what he does now TBH.

err AFAIK i'm still a litho printer :wink:

When i looked at the broken cylinder liner picture when the page loaded the first thing i thought is that it needed a liner brace and reading on, that is the solution along with what they are selling which is the new rebored liners but at a high price as they are only about £20 each inreality then rebore them and hone the liners.

Chris

tis the joys of porker ownership i'm afraid to say...........my clutch is starting to show signs of slipping on my 993.........with it being 4WD its an engine out job which the local OPC want £1500 to do with another £500 on top if it needs a flywheel.....

sorry but i dont see the great thing about them, sure they may go some, but they look so damn bland!

sorry but i dont see the great thing about them, sure they may go some, but they look so damn bland!

Sorry,have to agree I'm afraid.I do like Porsches,but convertibles are ladies cars.My pal has one also,and it's not a patch on a Corrado.

I am in no way biased.

Edit:Love the red leather interior,reminds me of the Alfa GTV.

Not like i'd say no to a Boxter but you do see a heck of a lot of em on the roads.. in fact I see far more Boxters (and in fact 911's, Carrera 4's, etc) than I do Corrado's!

Still no beating something like a big mean 911 Turbo though.. now they do have real road presence... :)

Not posted here in ages :)

To non-boxster fans, I see where you coming from as I wasn't ever overly keen until I actually drove one and then it all made sense.

You are quite right about the RMS concern Roddy but I checked this out first and made sure that my warranty covered it completely. They said they had made several claims and were happy letting OPCs sort it as well with bills in the region of £1000 to do so. Also checked and its about as good as I can get for non-OPC as it covers clutch, all rads, air-con, abs, cat etc...

Still got a private plate on ATM but that should be coming off soon.

Also FWIW, the car was 500 less than quoted and here is the options list:

IXMY - Roll-Over Bar In Arctic Silver

XPA - Thicker Sports steering Wheels

X97 - Aluminium/leather shift knob

X98 - Aluminium/leather parking break handle

M030 - Sport Chassis (lowered suspension, stiffer springs & shocks)

M197 - Stronger Battery

M321 - Radio "Porsche Cr-22"

M375 - Sportseat,Backrest Shell,Left

M376 - Sportseat,Backrest Shell,Right

M441 - Prepared For Radio

M454 - Automatic Speed Control

M476 - Porsche Stability Management (PSM)

M490 - -Mj 01 Sound System

M502 - Valmet Production - Uusikaupunki in Finland

M567 - Windshield Tinted,Upper Part Darker Colored

M571 - Activated Charcoal Filter

M573 - Air Conditioner

M584 - Storage Box

M660 - OBD2

M689 - Preparation Of Cd-Changer

M981 - Leather Equipment (Doors)

M983 - Leather Seats

It has also had a rear windshield added at some point thankfully.

I think that is them all de-coded correctly.

Cheers :)

incorrect

I wouldn't say they are bland,but there's certainly quite a few of them on the road,so its maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt,I almost ordered a new 987 Boxster S and had my spec sorted out too,then realised that £41k was a bit much,especially when although slow depreaciators,there would still be an element of depreaciation involved,took the advice of a mate who posed the Q which would you rather see in yer garage a 911(be it 993/996) or a Boxster...........so to me it was a case of fufilling a dream(and saving £15k at the same time)...so far even with a slipping clutch.....its been great.

.............and for all those who compare the Corrado with the Boxster.......much as I love the Corrado,lookswise,handling,performance etc the Boxster S beats it everytime.........the only weakness the Boxster really has is the "hairdresser"/"I couldn't afford a 911" image that isn't helped by certain tall n short TV presenters..........I certainly would still consider a Boxster S if ever I grew tired of the 993

Best thing about it them though is in this weather they come into their own. Roof down with the engine noise above 4k rpm :D I was convinced I would do not modifications to this one but the idea of nice aftermarket exhaust is very tempting! What do you have on yours Roddy?

They are also incredibly rigid for a convertible and point to point it easily the quickest car I have owned - even if it is has less power etc in theory, it delivers it so well.

I don't get the old poor man's 911 thing either, I mean a lot of people refer to the Corrado as the peoples Porsche too.

Anyway, dead chuffed with it and all seems well so far with the exception of a mild panic on discovery of a leak of fluid from below the car (front) last night. Turns out it is just from the air-con condesation and that they all do it.

thats probably the nicest boxter i've seen to date, love the interiour!

the poor mans 911 thing is an odd one, its been applied to every model 'under' the 911 in the range from the 912 in the 60's to the 924 and now the boxster. Funny that no-one calls the lambo gallardo the 'poor mans mercilargo' (spelling on both? :?). Its a stigma some people attach to the boxster and I must admit I'm guilty of it myself.

Still, i wouldnt say no to one, £17k hardly makes it for the 'poor man'.

incorrect

You must've missed the "I" bit ;)

Oh, and the Corrado is the poor mans Porsche :-P (Or so said, which I refuse to believe, as if I had the money for a Porsche, I know where it'd go :D)