Sign in to follow this  
rmn

rmn's aqua blue 16v corrado...now with a syncro floor

woah... why am I getting seriously tempted to make J-DUB 4x4 with a G60diesel engine?!? ;) :lol:

Good work there fella... can't wait to see the completed work... 8)

*goes off to look at the £500 golf syncro he spotted for sale the other day...*

:lol:

you dont actually need the floor, you can do it without the floor, its the rear beam you need and they are not hard to get, cleck out Coxy's thread, he has some savage work done on his one.

Done away with the need to do what i have done with the boot floor

J Dub need to come out to play again!

so make it better and 4 wheel drive is better!

Diesel is cheaper so 4X4 diesel makes sense!

in the immortal words of Starsky and Hutch "Do it!"

rich, just noted all the scratch marks on the towers lol

Tell tale signs of some serious wrestling to fit that floor :lol:

Its a bloody nightmare isnt it!

CoxyLaad, That would be correct! Colourful language makes it fit easier i belive :lol:

Got some more pics now, its got the bottom of the boot floor all stone guarded and the welds all covered up too

Dsc00808.jpg

Dsc00807.jpg

Dsc00809.jpg

Dsc00810.jpg

You're making great progress Richard, thought you were mad when you were running through your schedule for getting things done last night, but by the looks of things you are on track to get it sorted sooner rather then later.

Keep it up 8)

Right a bit of an update, been trying to sort out my front and rear suspension, not the shocks and springs but the hardware fo it.

I have decided to use mk4 R32 front wishbones as they are forged so no need for some seam welding on 13 year old ones, they fit into the vr fornt subframe quite easily with only the sightest modding to them.

these will mount up to mk3 vr front hubs

on the rear i will be doing the haldex mounting bracketry myself, after speaking to several people who have dont it themselves it makes sense as i have all the templates i need (a rolled ralye shell to trial fit stuff to before going ont the corrado :lol: )

the last issue i had was with the rear track, this i think i have figured out(feel free to correct me lads if i am way off)

there are 2 type's of syncro rear beams a plus and a non plus type, they are basicly the same but have different mounts and hangers

onto them bolt the rear wishbones, these came in several types. the non plus ones came with a 65mm ish baring and then a plus type with a 73mm ish baring(exact numbers not to hand but about those numbers) these were all on the 4 cylinder cars and made the track at the back 1430mm

the vr6 syncro for what i can figure out had a 1439mm rear track the same as that of the passat g60 syncro, the extra 9mm appears to be made up in the actual hub/baring area.

so what i have is a full 1430mm rear beam setup, so i think i will stick with this, any input fro coxy or phat would be appreciated now :lol:

this looks ace, cannot wait to see this bad boy, i used to have a mk2 syncro bloody good fun!!! 4 wheel powerslides around roundabouts in the wet

Thanks, i am doing little bits on it, time is the most difficult thing to get hold of lol

and those goddam VR6 syncro rear arms too

i will post some pics up after the weekend, i have some small progress

bit of an update, but no pics as i forgot to charge my camera

this weeekend i made the jig up to maintain the location for the diff,

i bolted a syncro diff onto the axle i am using, then made a bracket to sit onto the input shaft and bolted it to it

this plate was then welded to a bar which in turn was welded to the beam

i then cross braced it off the beam

then once this was done i could remove the syncro diff and then remove the supporting bracketry for it

the part i made up will maintain the location of the diff for trueness and it just so happens that the haldex diff will bolt to it and then i can make the bracketry up for it.

I intend to make it copying the style of this one ( i pinched the image off vortex :lol: )

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop1081ao.jpg

well i thought i would post up some pics of the work from the last week or two

first thing i did was to get out the axle and strip it, take off the ARB and the brake lines and all that stuf and then i bolted a syncro diff to it

here is a pic of the axle with the diff removed and everything else still on it

DSCN0574.jpg

here it is in the pic, excuse the focus i made a cock of the pic

DSCN0567.jpg

and here is a pic of the Haldex rear diff

DSCN0569.jpg

you will notice that the bot holes are in a simular place but slightly different

the physical sizes are simular, but the bracketry will all have to be made up

here are the 2 diffs beside eachother

DSCN0570.jpg

so the shape of the haldex one(closest to the camera) is totally different

so with the Axle stripped and the diff bolted to it with its 4 bolts i made a bracket to locate it

what i did was get some heavy angle and cut it to the length between the 2 anti roll bar mounts

once cut i then lined it up and drilled two holes in itlining it up with the input shaft bolts for the diff

The haldex and syncro diffs have the exact same bolt pattern

i then built it up with specially made washers till the diff and the bracket were touchingand tightened it home

so at this stage the diff is held by the original brackets and the new bracket is bolted to it and touching the beam

i then welded it on to the beam

then removed the diff and will remove the original bracketry this week and start fabricating the new brackets

here is the bracket that we made up, it looks simple but a lot of time went into making it work 100%

DSCN0576.jpg

and

DSCN0577.jpg

and 1 more

DSCN0578.jpg

on another note for comparison purposes here is a pic of the 2 fuel tanks, the syncro one is smaller and higher and in the fron of the pic

DSCN0573.jpg

and there is my trial fit bed to use for measuring and calculating if things will work

DSCN0575.jpg