Sign in to follow this  
Lovinit

more power please

heya there, gotta lovely G60 recently,its me first time! car is all in great mechanical nick and the superchargers been recently serviced, but i wanna get more power..any ideas where my money should go first! I'm thinking induction kit perhaps? or messin about with the supercharger?what can i do with the supercharger? i've heard a lot about portin and polishin and chips n pulleys, but i'm gettin confused...

can anyone give us some direction...

Cheers guys

James

Pics of my new toy...my first..

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/ ... G_4543.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/ ... G_4542.jpg

This post has been edited by Lovinit: Today, 04:38 PM

A minefield, it depends on your budget and if you can do some/all yourself. I would go for a stage 2 head (35-mm exhaust valves), ported standard manifolds (avoid tubular manifolds like the plague), a Piper BPG60270H cam, a 70-mm pulley and a Supersprint exhaust. If you want to go further than that, and one of the best modifications you can make to enable more power, fit a bigger intercooler to replace the tiny original. When you have made all the changes you want, have the car re-mapped (chipped) to match the other changes. Do forget to improve the suspension/brakes/wheels & tyres either before or at the same time as any power increases.

Hi mate

I wouldn't use an induction kit on a G60, the standard airbox is the best really as it doesn't allow any particles into the charger.

First off ( if the engine and charger's in good condition! ) i'd go for a 68mm pulley and an SNS chip to suit, you'll find it makes quite a differnece to the power delivery. Then maybe think of FMIC, Porting , heads etc

As with most things it's a question of budget, you might find that it's best to plan what mods you want to do before you start so that you can do them in the best order.

Use the search feature, you'll find that most things have already been discussed at least 2354956 times :)

Porting the charger is a nice way of getting some more boost, but you have to be sure of the charger first. Plus before going faster you should be sure about stopping as well. I made this mistake and now I wish I'd gone for some brakes first off ;)

Personally I went for a ported charger, SNS (antilag) chip, 68mm pulley and an RSR outlet. Best to start simple.

2354957 times and counting...

You can do a few cheap mods yourself as well. Most are in the Wiki. Things like the RSR outlet, and replacing things like fuel and air filters can make some nice differences. You can also fiddle with the airbox if you feel like it.

Personally I went for a ported charger, SNS (antilag) chip, 68mm pulley and an RSR outlet. Best to start simple.

quote]

Ive got these mods and they do make a big difference

Aye, it is! Apparently it's pretty good though and with colour-coded hoses it looks 8)

First up I’d take it to someone who knows their G60’s for a check over before you even think about getting some more power out of it. Make sure you’ve got a sound “base” before modifying. Also make sure your brakes and suspension are up to scratch.

When that’s all “ticked off” I’d go for oil cooler (often overlooked), SNS chip, 68mm pulley, exhaust, manifold. That should net you about 15 horses and a load more torque. Then some brakes and sort the suspension.

Have a search through previous threads too as this kind of thing has been discussed at length 

Junk the charger and fit a turbo :-)

That's kinda like saying junk the G60 and get a VR6.....

Sometimes you gotta go with what you've got :roll:

That's kinda like saying junk the G60 and get a VR6.....

Sometimes you gotta go with what you've got :roll:

Not at all. The VR6 is a totally different engine, I didn't say junk the G60, just the charger!

The beauty of the turbo is the G60 block is already low compression and there's already an IC there, so it's fairly cheap and easy to implement, so it's not exactly junking the G60 at all really.....just a different way of feeding it's air. It was just a light hearted suggestion, chill out!

If he wants to stick with the Glader, then there are loads of options.....

I think IHIG60 has done the turbo conversion with good results....

hmm def food for thought... i've been looking into the chip and pulley thing..jst doing the reserch, i'l let ya know how it goes..

the turbo thing could be interesting... 8)

cheers

James

It was just a light hearted suggestion, chill out!

I'm chilled... it was just a light hearted reply :oops:

Just replacing the air, oil and petrol filters might be a good and simply place to start. After a while (these are old cars) these things start causing bottlenecks.

... or of course you can go for the forum stickers.... 20bhp increase each. I was thinking of putting them all over the car and then trying for the land speed record.

I think you'll see a fair bit more than just a 15 BHP increase TBH, with a SNS chip, 68mm pulley, exhaust, and manifold. Chip, pulley and exhaust alone usually gives at least 30BHP (plus large corresponding increase in torque) plus a 4-branch manifold will help even more, poss. power would approach the 200 BHP mark. With a crap Jabbasport chip, 68 mm pulley, ISV re-route, stainless exhaust inc. decat (didn't have manifold) and small Audi 100 Quattro intercooler (better than standard tho) my old white G60 pulled 208 BHP......

Cheers and HTH

[quote="catch_twotwo"

catch your profile pic is hilarious :lol: bet the kids in the playground hated you!

looks like an interesting thread for newbies like myself :clap: