Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Stainless steel VR6 6-2-1 exhaust manifold - whats the best?

Hi all - i'm going to go the full exhaust route as i want more 6 cylinder noise from the exhaust and to make my engine bay even shinier.

I already have a miltek and will add the decat but which is the best performance enhancing, best looking and best quality stainless 6-2-1 exhaust manifold brand to go for?

Is there more than one company?

I've heard that Raceland are good but i can't seem to source one - there's no info on the web etc.

Is there scope for a group buy perhaps.

Cheers

M

Supersprint..... but check it will fit RHD engines first though. It's the best looking, best performance enhancing and best quality......but £600 :-)

885701.jpg

ummmm interesting, that looks good. especially as a lot of us are running cars of an age where the down pipe is due to fail!!

do the stainless manis not have a rep for cracking??

This is a brand new product, so noone has had one long enought to have it crack. Techtonics is a reputable firm, so they'll stand behind it.

I must admit that spending lots of money on a shiney TUNED exhaust manifold i.e the Supersprint is extremely tempting. I'd much rather spend the money having confidence that its the best.

I've sourced a supplier called Tuningwerkes in Croydon who get it from Auto designs who get it from Supersprint.

I would think that it would fit a RHD car being supplied from a UK company.

It will be interesting seeing how much power increase i can get leaving the VR lump standard and keeping it normally aspirated. Only improving the inlet and outlet flow.

Of course i'll probably go down the scharged route like most people eventually.

Hey kev - would i loose power if i aquired a Schimmel SRI in conjunction with the 6-2-1, decat and enlarged throttle body? Just wondering thats all

i'm running a raceland 6-2-1 manifold with a miltek system and cat by pass pipe. sounds great and performs really well. i bought it new off ebay from tuningleaderuk for about £175 and the quality is excellent and i've had no problems.

Hey kev - would i loose power if i aquired a Schimmel SRI in conjunction with the 6-2-1, decat and enlarged throttle body? Just wondering thats all

Not at the top end you wouldn't mate but what happens at the bottom end no one really knows yet! There aren't any conclusive tests (that I can find) of VR6s running short runners. I don't think you will lose much bottom end tbh, but it's an expensive way to find out though!

The Raceland seems to be getting good reviews and seems like a bargain. Up to you if you get the SuperSprint. It's a lovely bit of kit!

Look at this Ferrari 360 system that SuperSprint do!! And a dyno proven 25hp gain to go with the stunning looks 8)

390700.jpg

thats a beast of a system! and amazing that they could free up an extra 25 ponies from a ferrari- you'd expect it to be pretty much as good as you can get as standard!

Yeah, seriously impressive......

From their site:-

Claimed data:

Horsepower 400 Hp at 8500 rev/min

Torque 373 Nm at 4750 rev/min

Actual data:

Horsepower 384.9 Hp at 8650 rev/min

Torque 376.5 Nm at 5960 rev/min.

Supersprint:

- Manifold 390701

- Front exh.R.-L. kat 390702 - 390722

- Rear exhaust 390734

- Endpipes Kit 390716

Actual data:

Horsepower 409.3 Hp at 8660 rev/min

Torque 386 Nm at 5770 rev/min.

What is also impressive is the extra power is at the same rpm as the previous output, and there's 10 more Nm of torque at lower revs....cool!

SuperSprint are fairly unique in that they dyno test each and every exhaust they make.....but not all of them see such big gains. Some systems, like the OE VR6 one for example, already flow darn well to begin with!

Oooh and further to my previous comment about the Schimmel affecting bottom end torque on a naturally aspirated engine, it doesn't :-)

Raceland supplies seem patchy, try the bay first.

I got a raceland one off ebay for 130 quid and it is the absolute nuts for the money. The quality looks pretty good to me.

And it sounds amazing!! :)

There is a Belgian dude selling them on ebay with the 'best offer' option. Offer him 130 and he should be sweet. He was with me.

Not too shabby for 130 quid........

double-6s, That's exactly what i did :lol: offered £115 and he took it.

They are good quality and it makes a unique sound.

The same dude in Belgium? 115 is a bargain! Nicholas Parsons or what!

And yes mate, the sound is gorgeous eh? I'm going out for a blast in a minute actually!

So come on people - 115 quid for one of these beasties!!! Thats about the price of a stock DP isn't it?

No brainer :)

if i could get a valver one that fitted for that price i`d be laughing never mind an extra couple of pipes!! :lol:

Damn, in the shiny pipe excitement I didn't think about putting in an offer and paid full whack from tuning leader for my mk2 Golf 0BD2 VR6 track car project

Whatever you do tho guys, as shiny as it is, wrap the manifold else it will melt anything near it, pipes/rack boots etc... lol!

mine isnt wrapped atm and when i had the cat back on for mot it melted the plastic throttle body elbow pipe so badly a small pipe fell through it lmao