Sign in to follow this  
mattosmond

Weird!!!!!

I think this story is quite amusing but very weird at the same time!

i have had my car advertised for about 2-3 months now with no real interest, so i put it on ebay for the 2nd time.... It sold for £3350 instead of £2800 the 1st time (didn't make the reserve). The guy who bought it is flying over form Munster in Ireland today at 6pm to bournemouth airport where we are going to do the deal. then he will dive to Fishguard and catch the ferry to the south of ireland then drive all the way to munster!

the point is that my car has sold for fair money, not cheap but not expensive (you know what i mean). But he has paid for an air fare, loads of petrol and a ferry crossing just to buy a fair priced mk4 golf 1.6!!!!

that is pretty serious!!! Does anybody know why somebody would do this? he said he's done it 5 times before.......

I am taking someone with me incase he gets frisky then us southern fairies will have to get down........ :lol: :lol:

I sold my MK4 in a similarly bizarre way. I thought it was fairly honestly priced but not exactly THE BEST you could find in the country or anything.

I had a phone call one afternoon in work from a guy who said he'd seen the car for sale in the trader and was catching a train immediately from Kent to come and see it and would I pick him up from the train station when he got here? Seemed the least I could do so said yes..

He arrived, I drove him back to my flat to go through paperwork and to check over the car and about 20 minutes later he was driving it back home to Kent very happy and I had a nice bag of crisp £50 notes!

Very odd but the guy was very genuine and said he'd seen so many heaps of crap - when he saw my Golf knew it was honest and bought it straight away.

Seems a little bizarre, but people will travel a fair distance for what they believe is 'the right car'. Of course you do just get people with no idea!!

I have a mate, who sold a white BMW 318 (looked nice - with the 328 kit or whatever) on autotrader.

A guy from ireland phoned up, asked if he still had it, to which the reply was yes. That was literally all he asked. He just told Ross that he'd be there about 6 pm the next day, and left it at that. Sure enough he turned up, took a quick look around the car, not even under the bonnet or arches or anything, said, there ya go mate. Gave him 3k in notes, and drove off, and that was that.

Well, the guy rang me 2 minutes after the bidding had ended, and has rung everyday since keeping me informed about fligths etc.... Seems genuine, has got 98 feedback, so not 0 like most of the scammers have.....

Corrados are worth about twice as much in Ireland as they are over here! It's easily worth the cost of flights + ferries to buy one in the UK!

It's the cost of re-registering it in Ireland thats the real killer though!

Dec, it was just a mk4 golf 1.6se 1998 'S' with 97.5K on the clock...........

If it was a corrado i would probably understand....

:scratch:

oooh....didn't read that properly at all :oops: :lol: :lol:

I get ye now....that is a bit weird! sounds like a legit buyer though :wink:

As the title says WEIRD :lol:

I had a guy some to see my recently sold fiesta from wales, took him about 3-4 hours and when he got here he complained that it needed work doing even though i had clearly pointed it out on ebay, he just drove home :? lol.

Im sure cars are more expensive in Eire in general. Im sure one of our Irish members could clarify??

That's odd too, I'd always understood that in the past a lot of the car supermarket deals were cars imported from Ireland rather than the continent as RHD cars are obviously easier to source there.

just sold my classic ducati to a women from denmark who collects classic bikes, sold my ford cougar to a bloke who flew himself to our local airfield and got his mate to fly his plane back.

i once ahd to take a mate to bloody great yarmouth to pick up a mr2 t-bar for £6k as he thought it was the right car etc.

paid me fuel etc though , and car was nice but he could have got one virtually the same for £2k less nearer home.or got a Corrado vr6.lol

was 13hrs driving that day, good fun tanking down the m25 just to drive and avoid rush hr and get off the bleeding stretch of motorway .

i once ahd to take a mate to bloody great yarmouth

Believe me, there's nothing 'Great' about Yarmouth anymore!

There was NEVER anything great about Yarmouth!!!!

Lived in Norwich for best part of 7 years, top place! N. Walshsam a bit dodgy mind ;)

And I also know what its like to drive there from S. Wales!!!! :shock:

the import duty for a 98 s golf in Ireland is 980 euro, if you sold the car to him for 3500 stg, thats 5100 euro roughly, so alltogether thats 6 grand.

with flights and petrol and ferry all in =6500 euro in total.

The average price for a Irish 98 golf s in Ireland is between 5000 and 6000 euro. . looking at a local website here. obviously he liked your car!

I reckon it's some sort of howard marks deal.

Car importer would be a fairly good cover for bringing large amounts of dope into the country :)

the import duty for a 98 s golf in Ireland is 980 euro, if you sold the car to him for 3500 stg, thats 5100 euro roughly, so alltogether thats 6 grand.

with flights and petrol and ferry all in =6500 euro in total.

The average price for a Irish 98 golf s in Ireland is between 5000 and 6000 euro. . looking at a local website here. obviously he liked your car!

He obviously did..... he went to alot of botehr for what in essence isn't a rare car at all...... but it was well looked after and had a nice spec,,, air con sunroof, cd, handsfree, tt wheels, etc.....

i once ahd to take a mate to bloody great yarmouth

Believe me, there's nothing 'Great' about Yarmouth anymore!

LOL - f'ing right!