Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

I need to do some more reading up on best practice for doing it at home with cans. Would like to be able to better tackle little repair jobs here and there myself.

I find it easier not to mask too much paint and just wet sand off the over spray at the end and polish everything. I think photos hide quite a bit of the mismatch/imperfections in it. But looks acceptable in real life.

I think in the summer when car is all running and in use i'll spend more time sorting out the overspray/orange peel.

Had it out quickly last weekend, just up the road and back, noticed fluid dripping onto mu foot from the clutch pedal, so changed the master cylinder this weekend.

The new master cylinder, not listed for a corrado but fitted fine

20170504_091818.jpg

20170504_091807.jpg

Just need to bend the pipe to fit the new master, as the hole is in a different place. bit hard to see

Old

20170504_193250.jpg

New

20170506_121842.jpg

Took the seat out while i was there, gave carpet a quick clean and the seat a wipe

20170506_130241.jpg

Not bad considering its the original drivers seat and car has done about 230,000miles

20170506_130317.jpg

20170506_130415.jpg

Love all the work you have done/are doing. I hope one day to be at your level 8)

Nice seats btw :)

Good to know Jim, I want to replace mine so nice to know there are alternatives.

Seats look very respectable too!

Put the corrado badge back on. Still got the vr6 one to stick on.

Repainted it in halfords satin black

20170508_201205.jpg

Passed MOT a few weeks ago and has been back on the road (seems to be having a few issues though)

First was the PAS pump making a noise, think thats all sorted now.

But it was driving quite badly, low mpg and lack of power, misfire. Did a vagcom and the camshaft sensor showed up, swapped it for a used one i had and it drove so much better. Did about 250miles and all fine.

Had to take front end off car today to remount the PAS/Alternator bracket, got it all done and went for a drive and its back to lumpy, no power, missing. Came home, vagcom and the cam sensor came back up again. All i really did to anything slightly related was disconnect the battery.

00515 - Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)

30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

I wonder if its the wiring, and by fitting the other sensor i disturbed it enough to work. How do you really test wiring?

Given up for the day now.

from rosstech:

Possible Causes

Wiring to Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty

Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) Installation faulty

Camshaft Timing Out of Specification

Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring to Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)

Check/Replace Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)

Check Camshaft Timing

Check/Replace Engine Control Module

Hope its not timing related.

I have the wiring loom from my old VR6 kicking around in the garage (replaced with a new old stock VW loom when I had the motor rebuilt) - it's everything from the big round multi-pin connector onwards.. as far as I know, it was fine.. I just replaced it cause a new one was surprisingly cheap from VW. If you need it to test, it's yours.

Not much of an electrics man myself. The only thing I can suggest is to check all ECU to ignition and the related sensors . Clean all the male to female plugs and reconnect. I should learn how a multi meter works myself, I just don't like the electrics side of an engine.

Battery disconnected!

Unplug the socket from the sensor, unplug the round connector on the loom, meter set to ohms scale, probes in the "common" and "Ohms" connections on the meter and touch the probe on the wires on each end. All 3 should show a similar resistance.

If no faults found you'll have to go back t the ecu in similar fashion after reconnecting the round plug

Right this is weird.

When i took the old sensor out i noticed a scuff mark on it, the one i put in definitely didn't have a mark on it as i checked.

Now the one i put in, also has the same mark on it. Must be something in engine hitting it, so will have to look inside engine i guess. Could only be the cam wheel or the sprocket bolt is backing out.

20170529_191057.jpg

That is strange Jim . Surely if something was hitting the sensor, that part could not be working properly it's self ?, i.e. The engine would not run properly aside from lumpy running , because the part was not seated in its place . Hopefully when you have a look the problem will reveal its self .

Will try and get cam cover off tomorrow evening. Not totally sure but might be the bolt holding the sprocket on is loose and slightly hitting the sensor which pushes it back in a bit as it spins.

I know i didn't thread lock them this time, which I've done in the past.

I have the wiring loom from my old VR6 kicking around in the garage (replaced with a new old stock VW loom when I had the motor rebuilt) - it's everything from the big round multi-pin connector onwards.. as far as I know, it was fine.. I just replaced it cause a new one was surprisingly cheap from VW. If you need it to test, it's yours.

Cheers Jim. Appreciate the offer but think i have a spare already :lol:

You could take the sensor out and crank the engine over with a spanner on the bottom pulley whilst peering inside its oriface?

Cheers Jim. Appreciate the offer but think i have a spare already :lol:

No worries :)

You could take the sensor out and crank the engine over with a spanner on the bottom pulley whilst peering inside its oriface?

I think either way i need to get inside the engine again to be sure.

Just ordered the sensor from VW, its about £65 now and only 2 left. The sensor pickup wheel on the cam sprocket is discontinued now.

I just don't know how you haven't set fire to the thing, Jim. You must have the patience of Mother Teresa.

:lol: Its typical of the corrado, i'm so used to it now. This problem i'm having is probably my own fault, just glad its happened now and not ended up being a bigger problem.