Sign in to follow this  
timg60

AA, RAC or other?

OK guys used the search and couldnt really find any definitive answers.

Having got car insurance with no breakdown cover for the first time who would you reccomend?

Any horrer stories or all they pretty all the same and which level of cover would you go for.

I know whatmy luck is like and after one years ownership and not having to get someone out you can gaurentee now that I am not covered I will need to call someone out soon...... :lol:

Answers on a postcard too....

8)

Having had absolutely no experience with the breakdown services I can't recommend anyone, but I have heard greenflag are very good. ;)

It depends on what type of cover you want IMO

I've been with Greenflag before and found them excellent ( got to me within 10 mins of phoneing in the middle of France, then took me and the car back to Cardiff )

As I need cover for me and Em to drive ANY car , I needed to go with the AA because Greenflag wouldn't give me that cover. I've called them a few times and they've been really good - the only problem I have with them is that they seem to have smaller vans with tow bars instead of low loaders, i'm not a fan of being towed.

Green Flag are doing free upgrades to Home Start at the mo. Full year's cover with Roadside and At Home from around £45 .. i.e. about half what the others are charging.

There *are* cheaper schemes, but it usually means you have to pay the garage direct, then reclaim from the provider later.

Been with the AA since I've started driving, always been very pleased, plus the time taken to get to me has been getting shorter and shorter everytime I have to call them.....

i had been with the RAC for about 6 years but the 2 times i did need their services they fell woefully short of what i would call good service, both times being left at the roadside in the middle of nowhere for over 5 hours !! :shock: and then tried to stich me with more money because i had the temerity to want to use their services !!! .... so i fecked them off for the AA, not had to use them yet but .. see how it goes

Autonational Rescue, underwritten by Lloyd's Equity Red Star, best recovery company I have ever used, over AA, RAC and Greenflag. Very understanding about lowered car issues / providing extending bed truck etc. total superservice, anywhere in UK, roadside, home, onward destination, courtesy car, free accomodation etc, never had to wait more than 45 minutes for attendance at roadside etc. £60 per year, job done.

Been with the AA for over two years now but not yet had to give em a call. Their membership charges are higher than everyone elses so they'd better be good when the time comes!

My mates use Greenflag and it's supposed to be good.

In all seriosuness though, why not just get a mate to agree to rescue you and vice versa if anything happens. It's pretty rare that i get stranded and it's worked for me for years. Saves money too.

Ive been with the AA for years and used them about 4 times, all excellent service, and the last time it wasnt even for me, but my bro, and the driver didnt care at all ;)

In all seriosuness though, why not just get a mate to agree to rescue you and vice versa if anything happens. It's pretty rare that i get stranded and it's worked for me for years. Saves money too.

All well and good, but none of my mates would come and get me when I was in France :lol:

Ah yes Monsieur, but it iz a case of say, one call out (£100) every few years, costing less than 80 quid a year for membership of aforementioned club.

And yes its obviosuly a risk, but thats my personality.

I know it's not sensible but there ya go :)

Its more to do with me being a complete lunch-out tbh mate...

I'd forget to join. If I remembered to join I'd forget who I was with when I broke down.

Etc.

My way is less hassle in the long run :)

I'm with you on this double-6s, used to pay about £120 a year to the rac but never called them out so cancelled it. So far the car's never let me down, and it's well maintained so in theory should be trustworthy (famous last words :) )