Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Estate cars, which one??

Right folks im gonna need to get myself an estate car in the not-so-distant future.

Im looking at spending around £2500 ish. these are the contenders so far:

VW Passat 1.8T

Volvo 850 T5R

Honda Civic 1.8VTI Aerodeck

Any other suggestions for fun estates which wont cost the earth??

Hmmm, tough choice!

Think I'd go for the Passat for build quality & tuning capability.

Then again, the VTI is a bit mental and really good fun. Would prob be more reliable too. I've had 3 Civics (N-reg 1.6 VTI, V-reg 1.8VTI and R-reg 1.6 LSI coupe), and didn't have to spend a single penny on any of them! Liked the 1.8 VTI best to drive- very useable power as it's more torquey than the others. If you get one, get a CAI fitted. When it comes on cam it sound fantastic!

850 T5R

Nice choice. I take it that fuel consumption isn't a major issue?

My Dad has a V70 R AWD. Bloody awesome cars!!!

T.

Know it's time consuming, but go and have a drive of them all. They're all quite different. I'd say the Civic is defo more fun to drive than the 1.8T. Never driven the Volvo, so can't comment.

The 1.8VTI engine is pretty good all through the rev range, unlike a lot of other VTEC's, which can be pretty gutless when not in the 'zone'. It's an excellent engine, which is a slightly detuned version of the engine found in the late 1990's Integra Type-R.

:shock: - becoming a family man Chris?

Pug 406's HDi's are pretty dam good estates

/flamesuit on

Pug!! Wash your mouth out!! Id rather walk!!

My mate recently bought an M plate burgundy 2 owner Audi A6 Avant 2.8V6 Auto with 85000 miles on it..........for £300. Needed 2 front wings, front indicator and front bumper all bought for £150, total cost £450. Effortless cruiser and load-lugger for a bargain price !

can't believe no-one's pointed you back here again http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46424 :lol:

given the 'fleet' in your sig, i'd have to add my voice to the A6 Avant suggestion... there are loads about and they sell for peanuts compared to the Passat's for some reason (not that the Passat's a bad car by any means... i've destroyed one myself!)

jazzdevil, Unfortunatly only one of the 'fleet' is still in my possesion!

All the mentioned cars have their merits, think im just gonna have to do some test driving!!

Is the T5R rear wheel drive??

As for the rado wagon..... its just wrong!

Bare in mind, most people on here will recommend VAG cars :wink:

Go and drive a few and see what you like- best way to make your mind up.

main reason id reccommend the A6 is they're so damn cheap! a comparitive A4 or passat will cost you more.

BigTartanJudge, thats a crazy bargain! I underwrote a T plate [30v] today with 45k on the clock at £3500.

I'd go Passat or A6 to be honest... probably with the 20VT engine if fuel economy isn't an issue (it is for me, hence the estate 'Rat TDI I just bought!)

The A4 avant only has slightly more room in the back than a Golf and I was well dissapointed by how they drove when I tested a couple of 'em.... :(

Bear in mind that the 'rat is more likely to not loose much more cash, especially if you buy a slightly higher milage one and are only putting 4 miles a day on it! :lol: