Sign in to follow this  
dukest

alpine vs other head units - want to match corrado interior

Hi all,

Am trying to decide on a decent quality head unit thats not too flashy for the corrado's typical german, no-nonsense interior.

I wanted to go for an alpine even though they're not that old-school looking but: a) i want it to blend in as much as possible (ie. not silver) and b) i think blue illumination has got to be best in a blue car..??

So can you get an Alpine that fits the bill? NO! you only get blue illumination with silver units, all the black ones have green or red or some nasty mixture..

So the question is do i go for something like the Alpine 9856 with green display as the closest match:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /4655.html

Or do i try another make like Pioneer which will also allow me to have more functionality (bluetooth & dab add-ons etc) like this one perhaps?:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /4624.html

does anybody have a recent model pioneer that they can comment on the quality of?

thoughts? or am i just being too picky?!! :)

cheers

John

The only other choice which would look very at home in the car is a Nakamichi cd 400 or equivalent mate. Not cheap but super sound quality and looks like it was meant to be there.

I read a few seriously negative reviews about that Pioneer bluetooth jobbie.. I first saw them and thought it sounded like a real gadget but struggled to find positive reviews. Complaints focused mainly around the phone / bluetooth side of things.. such as manually having to enter phone numbers / names through the head unit in order for caller display to work as it doesn't pick that info up off your phone, directly!

Hmm... that's not good.

I wouldn't of expected caller display to work anyway (would be a bonus though!). I guess the most important thing is that it connects easily and solidly - hey, it would still be fun turning your car into a giant phone! :)

If you want plain, 80s/90s styling with good sound - look no further than the Becker Mexico Pro :lol: It's one ugly mofo....but no one will nick it.....and it will blend in....available in a range of illumination colours.

BECKER-MEXICO-PRO-7932.jpg

Nakamichi CD400 a good suggestion too, but they have problematic transports causing them to skip a plenty.....great sound tho.

the kenwood kdc-x990 is a great blend. i have one in my 90 and it looks awesome. It is a little on the high end price for a cd deck ($550 us) but the sound quality and features are amazing.

DEH-P88

White illumination only though. Would prefer it if it was green.... Not had much luck with Pioneers so give them a big old berth these days.....neither has Dinks actually, come to think of it :-)

Has anyone had much experience with a Bluetooth headunit? How easy/hard is it to swap over the mobile that connects to it? i.e. I've got a work and personal mobile - is it a pain to swap them over?

I've got to bight the bullet and upgrade soon as my Kenwood's nob broke last week, so I can't skip tracks or browse MP3 CD's, oh and it has refused to read CR-RW's for months! Thats the last Kenwood headunit I'll buy!

I've got one of these and I love it... great sound and timeless styling :D

dehp77.gif

I've just bought the same one. Bonus of it (which I haven't tested yet though) is that the LEDs are all white so just by whipping the front apart and covering each LED in there with a filter you can have any colour you want as the illumination (though I think the LCD display will always be white)

At the mo, I'm looking for some filters for it, but once it's done I'll post some pics...

Also goes well with my gearknob and steering wheel.

3 RCA outs are handy, but I found the previous one I had you could 'tweak' the sound a little more (but I can't remember the pioneer number of the previous one)

I've got an alpine in my C with the blue lumi and silver plastic. it looks OK, but i never have the lumi on anyway - it gives slightly better sound quality and having my ipod plugged in i only use it for turning the voume up or down!