Sign in to follow this  
scoobyd00

Does a C still 'hamdle' on 17 inch alloys....

Plus the car weighs about 500kg more than the Corrado, so that helps to damp. Despite those wheels being very large, the ratio of sprung-unsprung mass is still similar because the car weighs a shed load.

that is the key point right there. Its the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight what is the big factor

So what do you/we all think then 17's for looks and 16's for more comfort and handling? {and 16's can still look sweet} :?: :? :wink: :idea: 8) :wink:

Despite those wheels being very large, the ratio of sprung-unsprung mass is still similar because the car weighs a shed load.

that is the key point right there. Its the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight what is the big factor

.. and if you change the ratio of sprung/unsprung mass, you have to adjust the spring and damping rates to compensate. So when you upgrade to larger (read: "heavier") wheels, you should also:

- increase the power of your engine

- increase the stiffness of your dampers

- decrease the stiffness of your suspension bushes

- increase the amount of steering force assistance provided.

And if you do all this, you won't notice any degradation in the handling/performance ** . ;)

** assuming of course that you don't fit *wider* tyres..

So what do you/we all think then 17's for looks and 16's for more comfort and handling? {and 16's can still look sweet} :?: :? :wink: :idea: 8) :wink:

17s for looks and handling - if you get the right 17s ;-)

The 40 profile sidewall is always going to offer a sharper, more sure footed turn-in, so you just need to keep the wheel weight to a minimum.

Has double-6 been banned jah?

Anyway, I noticed quite a difference from going 17's to 15's. Yes. I am clever.

Why are you asking Jah if I've been banned mate? :)

Just gone from 17's back down to 15's, and gotta say the car feels so much nicer to drive now. Doesn't look as good though!

does anyone know why Ken Larks racing corrado is on 18" alloys? Im building a track day car (stripped, 6 point roll cage etc) and just cant decide what size alloys are going to be best.

does anyone know why Ken Larks racing corrado is on 18" alloys?

1) because he had some lying around

2) because he wanted to fit big-arse brakes

.. probably ..

Fickle bloody cars aren't they?! I'm on call today, god I'm bored.....!! Daren't leave the house, had 3 support issues already :-(

Surely it doesn't take that long to say "have you turned it off and on again?" tho Kev? :lol:

LOL, who changed the title to 'Hamdle'? :lol:

Read right through the thread mate, it's not just the title!!!! hence my laughing in my first post on here........

I said it before, and I'll say it again, Good pork Walesy!!

havent read the whole thread, but just wanted to say that mine is on 16's and handles great (on the rare occasion that i drive it that is!)

Went or 16's after much discussion with people that have had both, and 16's always seemed to be the way to go.

Oh, go on then Scoobydoo, I'll give yu my 10 pennies worth - although its all subjective and your own oppinion is the only one that counts; taken from experience of both 15" and 17" alloys. (both 7j)

I started off with 17"'s and thought the car was awesome. I changed to 15"'s and almosted hated it in comparison, but there were many factors that were not constant. What Im going to say, probably applies to most cars: the 17"s were on Toyo Proxes which are known for being grippy in the dry. My 15"s had some Dunlops, which have lasted much longer, but can be said they're less sticky. I played with the tyre pressures in the 15"s and found a marginal improvement.

Im now running the 15"s on Rainsport tyres and have to say the grip is superb; hence rubber DOES matter. As for handling, I can still feel a little roll - some down to suspension, the other down to a squidgy 50% profile.

So what do I prefer? ... its a bit horses for courses, so I'd be inclined to say I'd love the compromise of 16"s. The 15"s dont quite handle as well, but the rough ride and tramlining from the *17"s just dont cut it for me; hence the 16"s have to be my best bet, IMO. * similarly, I've found the low profile tyres on the missues Megan to have similar tramlining as the 17"s off the C.

You could always read this guys views on tyres/wheels - CLICK. HTH