Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Porsche brakes on 4 stud hubs

hey

has anyone fitted porsche brakes to a 4 stud C?

If so, what parts did you need aside from the obvious? calipers, discs, pads.

What did you do regarding bellhousing etc, any potential nightmate issues? Will the brembo dics 300mm+ work OK with the porker calipers?

Cheers

Andrew

I've got Boxster calipers on my G60. They attached with the Brembo carriers from the Seat and also use the 305mm Seat discs.

Things to watch out for - make sure you get the Boxster S callipers (the Boxster ones are made for 24mm wide discs, while the S ones are for the 28mm discs which are the same width as the Seat ones). I bought mine from someone on here and only found out that they were Boxster ones (not the S ones) when we tried to fit them - lets just say, not happy :x You'll need new hoses too, as the fittings are different to the Rado ones.

I bought mine as a job lot from someone here, that included callipers, carriers, pads, discs and hoses (it really was a case of caveat emptor). The hoses I was sold were too short, so needed to get more of those, and there were no (safe) bolts for the carriers.

As for places to sort this lot..... Badger 5 (01453 827936) should be able to sort you out with the carriers and bolts or atleast be able to point you in the right direction - he sells the full Brembo kits for £745 according to his website. Hoses - Goodridge. Discs from Seat (or anybody that makes an equivalent 305mmx28mm). Callipers, possibly one of the Porsche breakers or Ebay (there are a few on the web if I recall, and make sure you get ones which are wide enough for the Seat discs). Pads - GSF.

Check with G-Werks as well as they do brake kits (not Porka ones, but Darren did fit mine for me).

Hope that helps.

really trying to investigate the most cost effective solution, the brembo IMO are too expensive was hoping to find something which equivalent stopping power for less really (i don't want much!)

i've seen the twin pots Darren sells they do look good...anyone got any other suggestions?

cheers for the info JMC, i'll keep an eye out for boxter s stuff (mind you the boss has just bought one, may pinch those!)

Wilwood are a fair bit cheaper than Brembo etc. I don't know how good (or bad) they are though, in comparison to other well known brands. For what it's worth, Wilwood's dynalite caliper weighs next to nothing, which is going to help shed a lot of unsprung weight. I'm sure Noble or someone uses Wilwoods as standard?

Anyway, be aware of escalating costs and a lot of ground work / research on your part. The kits may seem expensive but the suppliers have done the research and testing for you and you get the best materials, all guaranteed to fit the car.

Anyway, be aware of escalating costs and a lot of ground work / research on your part. The kits may seem expensive but the suppliers have done the research and testing for you and you get the best materials, all guaranteed to fit the car.

Realise that mate, defo don't want to have a 'mare!

Will look into willwood and tarox aswell.

OK, don't quote me on this as it was about 3 years ago.

I used to work at a Honda dealership which was twinned with a Seat dealership. I got on pretty well with him and was offered cupra brembo calipers (just the calipers) for £60 each!!!!!

Its time for me to do mine now so if there's any group buyers out there then let me know.

I'm sure that it would sway him.

That's A: If he's still there B: He's prepared to help a mate out still.

Paulr1980, if you could look into it mate that would be good, however SEAT have cottoned on fairly recently and marked up the costs of everything big time.

Let me know tho, cheers for the offer I am sure others will be interested too

Andrew

I thought the porsche boxster rears could just bolt straight to the front 4stud hub (where the carrier would bolt) without a caliper carrier. You just need 270mmm discs (mill down g60)

SEAT have now increased the price of their Brembo calipers to around £180-£200 EACH now. However, Renault use Brembo calipers on their new Clio Cup and Megane 225 models so they may be cheaper ? Also, the new Honda Integra DC5 uses Brembo calipers as does high-spec Nissan models, so they may be woth looking at too.

Also know that Focus RS / Mitsi Evo / Subaru Impreza newer models use Brembo front's. Lastly, IIRC new Merc C / E-Class models use Brembo front calipers as do older Fiat Coupe's as well as Audi RS models and of course lots of Porsche models (inc. older ones) so they be worth looking at as well.

I really don't think it's possible to buy new Brembo 4-pot calipers that cheaply anymore from dealers etc. (I may be proved wrong) but there are always LOADS of good second-hand ones for sale on eBay all the time, just checked and have seen, Audi RS2 / Fiat Coupe / Focus RS / Merc C-Class / Intergra DC5 etc.

Cheers and HTH

I've not been told a price yet but he said "of course we could do something.... let me know how many and I'll come up with a price for you."

Shall we get a GB list together (tentative) and once we've got a reasonable number I'll hassle him for a best price.. It would certainley be better than £200!!!

I used boxster S calipers. same as 996. boxster are much smaller.

I've got mine on 323mm Porsche 993 carrera 4 turbo discs on MOV-IT Audi TT fitment bells, with MBT carriers. Did have them on the corrado, probably going to fit them on the mk4 instead as the 312's are abysmal.

My mate had the same calipers on his 4 stud vento. he used 305mm SEAT Ibiza Cupra discs, with the SEAT carriers too (bought when they were only £15 each). Just had to mill down the carrier a bit to get the discs to the correct spacing of the 305mm disc.

Also worth noting, you have to moiunt the caliper on the opposite side of the car, upside down, and change the link pipe over to the other end of the caliper (so it's back ont he bottom, with bleed nipples at the top). reason being, they are fitted on the trailing edge on the Porsche, but on the leading edge on the VW, so if you fit them straight on, you have the biggest piston on the leading edge of the pad, when you need the smallest piston on that side, so the pad wears evenly and doesn't go skew wiff in the caliper, causing an awfulosqueal. My mates were fitted incorrectly like this, and the noise annoyed hoim so much he sold them and bought AP's! when he could have fixed it for nothing, ieven made him some more link pipes for free.