Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

New engine smoking!!

my 1940cc G60 engine which is currently in H-YYU used quite a bit of oil for her first 1200 miles... she's now bedded in properly and uses practically none.... (she just eats head gaskets instead.... :roll: :oops: :lol: )

So what was the outcome then? Did you ring Stealth? Is it still smoking?

Just concerned as I and others are awaiting rebuilt engines from Stealth and if there's a remanufacturing issue, they need to be informed.

Yes mate i rang the v-meister.

He reckons the head i bought off some fekin tw*t on ebay was well dodgy. It's booked in to have a new head whipped on - luckily i don't have to start the running in process again as the bottom end now has 2000 miles on it :)

Hmmm.I wonder why he didn't tell you that the head was doubtful before he fitted it.

Berst wishes

RB

He did. It was a risk i took because we thought we'd solved any potential problems.

Kev - pulls like a feking train mate. Its absolutely gorgeous and sounds even better :)

What's up with the head? I was watching that on egay as well.

Not sure mate - Vince will only really know when he takes it apart i guess.

To be honest, when i was in the bloke's house buying the head, i had a feeling that he was in 2 minds about actually selling it to me. We seemed to get on with some common interests, and m,aybe he was starting to feel guilty about ripping me off? Who knows.

I've got his address.

Kev - pulls like a feking train mate.

You mean 0-60 in 7.2 minutes?

(Always thought it was an odd expression that..!)

Thinking about it, I reckon that expression actually relates to torque dr_mat? Pulling is generally a torque reference?

So.....

It pulls like a train :) :) :)

Thinking about it, I reckon that expression actually relates to torque dr_mat? Pulling is generally a torque reference?

It pulls like a train :) :) :)

The pull you feel is acceleration, not directly torque, so I cannot concede this time .. :-P

Anyway, I thought "pulling" was what you did on a friday night down the school disco?

Ah, but what is it that pulls tree stumps out of the ground? Not power.

But I am willing to concede the point just this once.

Pulling down the disco is what i'll be doing tonight if my mrs doesn't stop being such an aerosol :)

Ah but at a constant 70 mph your engine is producing maybe 120 lbft of torque, yet you are not accelerating, and therefore you feel NOTHING. Is 120 lbft nothing? Of course not..

That 'pull' you feel in trains is the massive torque of the electromotors......peak torque is at 0 rpm :-) So although it may take 7.2 minutes to get to 60, the constant torque from those motors is impressive to move so much weight.

Will - I bet the idle is better too with all 6 cylinders having the same compression? ;-)

Kev - solid as a rock mate (and yes dr_mat, rocks are definately solid) :)

And bizzarely enough the brakes are back to being half decent with no other changes. I'm told my engine was so feked that it was affecting the vacum and therefore the brakes. Is that possible?

They're definately much better!

I thought you purchased a brand new head Will?

Dutch

I did mate. But i reckon it was some b*stard creation from various rado, sharan and galaxy parts or something.

Ah but at a constant 70 mph your engine is producing maybe 120 lbft of torque, yet you are not accelerating, and therefore you feel NOTHING. Is 120 lbft nothing? Of course not..[/quote:a2c24]

the torque required to hold 70 mph is prob a fair bit less than 120 lb ft and its needed to overcome drag both aerodynamic and mechanical

torque provides the force that accelerates the car it IS what you feel

hey doubles, sorry i keep managing to miss this thread and was wondering how you were doing on this.

Sh.t luck on the head bud, where was theguy based?? At least you have pretty much if not the only brand new 2.9 bottom end in the country!

i'd also love a go in your car, because i dare say it would eat mine for breakfast lunch and dinner under 4k. 2 different mod routes. Perhaps we could have a go in each others and compare. Although knowing you youll buy another charger tommorrow and put that on when your back at stealth!!

good luck with sorting the head bud.

hey doubles, sorry i keep managing to miss this thread and was wondering how you were doing on this.

Sh.t luck on the head bud, where was theguy based?? At least you have pretty much if not the only brand new 2.9 bottom end in the country!

i'd also love a go in your car, because i dare say it would eat mine for breakfast lunch and dinner under 4k. 2 different mod routes. Perhaps we could have a go in each others and compare. Although knowing you youll buy another charger tommorrow and put that on when your back at stealth!!

good luck with sorting the head bud.

Ah its not so bad mate - even with this head set-back, i'm still gonna end up paying less than a stealth rebuild (not including the trick bits and bobs i've also bought).

It is a beast between about 2800 and 4000 revs mate :) It would be really interesting to compare it to your charged beast - i reckon yours will still be quicker all the way up though.

I have to be honest - the sound a charger makes is calling me already! :)

So although it may take 7.2 minutes to get to 60

A little quicker than that, especially if you're having to dodge the bloody things :-) Ask toonvw for more details

/ot trainspotter type info.

I'm glad you're getting to the bottom of it, it sounds like a beaut!

Cheers,

Tom

And bizzarely enough the brakes are back to being half decent with no other changes. I'm told my engine was so feked that it was affecting the vacum and therefore the brakes. Is that possible?

Yep ;-)

The servo and manifold plenum rely on a good engine seal for vacuum.

Similar things happen to the brakes with short runner intakes and throttle bodies. The plenum area is massively reduced and therefore so is the vacuum resevoir, so the brakes need a harder shove. The Schimmel log is quite a big one, so you don't lose too much braking efficiency....not that it bothers the Americans anyway as they don't have servo assisted brakes :-)

The bonus of throttles and logs is the throttle plate/s are much closer to the head, which = razor sharp throttle response :-)

Well i never! It did sound plausible. I've definately noticed a massive difference - Vince did mention that my old engine was pretty fekked :)

Kev - do i have any options for improving throttle response with my set-up?

...not that it bothers the Americans anyway as they don't have servo assisted brakes :-)

AFAIK they do, but it's electronic like all LHD C's, hence no need for a vacuum 8)

Dutch