Sign in to follow this  
balboa

OBD1 OR OBD2 ????

Hey guys....ive got a mk2 golf with a corrado 2.9 vr6 in...1995 engine code is ABV....would that be OBD1 or OBD2......CHEERS IN ADVANCE

obd1 mate for definate, unless someone has modded it (quite a lot of work)

it will not have an isv behind the engine if its obd2 as it uses a stepper motor on the throttle. yours should have 2 1inch ish size pipe aray at the back to the right of the TB as you look at the front of the car, with a funny looking plastic box that the pipes go into. all black rubbery plastic. = obd1

cheers Nick.....much appreciated...i thought it was that just wanted to confirm......great site....love it....!!!

OBD II is the protocol spoken on the wire. Didn't know it was anything to do with the position of the lambda.

I would imagine a post-cat lambda is a way of identifying an OBD II engine, rather than being the definition (OBD II uses different air flow sensors, throttle position sensors and a completely different ECU as well).

I'd go with Nick's pics as being the easy way to tell the difference.

Buuut it's all academic because the ABV is the 2.9 VR (AAA is the 2.8 ) and the ABV engine only ever came in the Corrado, which was only ever OBD I (unless it's been converted, which some people have done, but it's pretty pointless on a VR in standard tune).

No UK 2.8 OBD2 12V engine (version 3.8 with B76B checksum) has post cat lambda.

The only 12V that does is the US engine, with OBD2 version 5.8.

24V engines all have pre and post cat lambda though.

Unfortunately OBD2 has several revisions and versions, but it's all under the same 'OBD2' banner..... the only standard bit across all of them is the 16 pin connector as Mat says. It's a bit like SCART. Yeah it's a standard plug, but before and beyond that, it can be anything!

I would imagine a post-cat lambda is a way of identifying an OBD II engine, rather than being the definition (OBD II uses different air flow sensors, throttle position sensors and a completely different ECU as well).

I'd go with Nick's pics as being the easy way to tell the difference.

Buuut it's all academic because the ABV is the 2.9 VR (AAA is the 2.8 ) and the ABV engine only ever came in the Corrado, which was only ever OBD I (unless it's been converted, which some people have done, but it's pretty pointless on a VR in standard tune).

Cos I'm in a pernickity mood :oops: the ABV 2.9 came in all VR syncro's, be those Golf or Passat - so it is possible to get a 2.9 OBD2 engine

Buuut it's all academic because the ABV is the 2.9 VR (AAA is the 2.8) and the ABV engine only ever came in the Corrado, which was only ever OBD I (unless it's been converted, which some people have done, but it's pretty pointless on a VR in standard tune).

Granted, no great increase in horses or torques but for drivability it does wonders (who would have guessed i'd give my 2p!? :) ).

Cos I'm in a pernickity mood :oops: the ABV 2.9 came in all VR syncro's, be those Golf or Passat - so it is possible to get a 2.9 OBD2 engine

Ahh - didn't know that! Interesting to know

From what i've read OBD2 is the better one, somebody will correct me if i'm wrong though!! A 2.8 OBD2 engine in the golf is meant to produce around the 190bhp mark standard (came in highlines i think) whereas OBD1 produces around 174 standard...

all golf vrs switched to obd2 in 95 (n reg) since 99% of highlines are later than this 99% of highlnes are obd2. its very difficult to tell what the power diffrence is exactly but there is a general consensus that obd2 has 10 bhp or so more than obd1 some of this could be due to the bigger obd2 tb though

"best" - well OBD2 was the later version, so it's got to be better, right?

It has a significant number more "knobs" that the tuner can tweak to make it run well, and it responds more quickly, and it supports more lambda probes (again helping it to run better fuelling) and so on.

The biggest trick that the ultra-smart engine management systems do these days is making hugely powerful engines relatively efficient. I mean, people remember that getting 175 bhp out of the Vauxhall 2.0 16v Astra GTE engine wasn't too hard - with a couple of Weber carbs. But doing that *and* getting over 20 mpg in normal driving isn't possible without complicated electronic engine management ..

Let's face it, the 2.9 VR6 is capable of 35 mpg on a run; the BMW 328i is capable of 39 mpg on a run; these figures simply wouldn't be possible without smart electronic ignition.. The power figures are relatively easy to obtain..